Film/Video Discussion Thread
  • Hunter Hunter - just would have been better if it would have kept to its main theme of Man vs wolf in the forest. Instead this survivalist tail takes a turn for the worst with a rather stupid schlock horror movie ending. 6 scats out of 10.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Watched The Prestige again (first time for my wife) and has reaffirmed my love for it. One of those rare films which actually improves with repeat viewings after knowing what happens. Great performances all round as well.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I love it but I am here to say once again that the book is superior and you should really read it if you haven't. The film diverges quite a lot from it, and the way the reveal is done (or not) is amazing.
    The ending of the book properly scared the bejeezus out of me. It's a hell of a haunting image.

Maybe not better, but a cracking companion piece.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Midnight Sky  is very well made but it's damn depressing. Imagine The Road without the cannibalism and you come close.

There's a few bits that stretch credibility but then they can be rationalised ultimately. To say more would spoil.

It gets criticism for its pace but I like slower paced stuff so that's no problem for me. As depressing as it is I'm glad I watched it.....but you need to be in the mood for it. This was a bizarre Christmas release!!! Clooney has indie mode engaged - a light hearted Soderbergh caper this ain't.....
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    As a kid in the 70s, all things USA were beguiling. Nothing probably sparkled more in my kids' eye than US sports. The difference between occasional glimpses of NFL, MLB and NBA were glittering spectacles compared to gruesome, muddy FA Div 1 football; the matches of which were seemingly meanfully doled out on TV; or cricket - shown live during the day but presented with all the panache of a local county council meeting.

So sports films have for me always been better when attached to American sports. Slapshot is probably my favourite of the genre but Moneyball comes close. It's better knowing it's based on a true story and it focusses on Baseball which has always been attractive because it's stats heavy and for all the brooha about athleticism and talent, boils down to being a highly tense mental game.

Moneyball has a great cast - Jonah Hill gets better every time I watch him in something and Pitt actually acts for a change. Hoffman is a brilliant as per usual and I'm reminded what a tragedy losing a talent like his was. 

Great stuff. Brilliantly shot and interspersed with actual match footage without being jarring. Splendid film all round.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Agree with most of your points on Moneyball. The only thing I know about baseball is my sister used to play rounders and is occasionally join in because I fancied her friends. But I still loved the film

I’d disagree on your Pitt comment. I think he’s pretty stellar in most of his output. In fact I think his strength is that he understands the type of film he is in and acts accordingly.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    To be fair to Pitt, that whole ocean caper thing made me think him lazy....but if I think about him in other stuff like fight club, joe black, big short et al that puts him in a better light. Its just I havent seen much of him lately. I should really check out other stuff he's in.

He is pretty much like an old school film star and doesnt have to act. One of the few. So its easy to under estimate him.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Watch him in Once Upon A Time in Hollywood. He makes the film for me.

Edit - and while I wasn’t a massive fan of Ad Astra’s plot he was still great in it.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    To be fair to Pitt, that whole ocean caper thing made me think him lazy....but if I think about him in other stuff like fight club, joe black, big short et al that puts him in a better light. Its just I havent seen much of him lately. I should really check out other stuff he's in.

He is pretty much like an old school film star and doesnt have to act. One of the few. So its easy to under estimate him.

Pitt puts in the effort pretty regularly. OUATIH as Boris says, but also Snatch, Twelve Monkeys, Burn After Reading, Kalifornia.

He certainly can and often does do the standard leading man schtick pretty often, but he’ll also take on the weirder roles more often than most of his contemporaries.
  • And if you don't enjoy Mr and Mrs Smith then there's something wrong with you. :)
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Damn, I do seem to be a fan of the word often when posting as I’m unable to sleep at 1:30 in the morning.
  • I love Brad Pitt.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  •  Coming 2 America is released on 5 March on Amazon Prime Video.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Today?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Correct. Apparently is bad but I will watch.
  • regmcfly wrote:

So will i.
  • New Disney film out today as well. Not gonna pay premium extra $$$ for it though.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • b0r1s wrote:
    Today?
    I thought this was already out, but I think maybe I was just up late and spotted it on Prime after midnight.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:

It kind of feels like it’s a film they shouldn’t have ever made. But it’s here now so will give it a watch.
  • Brad Pitt is amazing in Deadpool 2
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    davyK wrote:
    To be fair to Pitt, that whole ocean caper thing made me think him lazy....but if I think about him in other stuff like fight club, joe black, big short et al that puts him in a better light. Its just I havent seen much of him lately. I should really check out other stuff he's in. He is pretty much like an old school film star and doesnt have to act. One of the few. So its easy to under estimate him.
    Pitt puts in the effort pretty regularly. OUATIH as Boris says, but also Snatch, Twelve Monkeys, Burn After Reading, Kalifornia. He certainly can and often does do the standard leading man schtick pretty often, but he’ll also take on the weirder roles more often than most of his contemporaries.

Had forgot about Twelve Monkeys. Was a great turn in that.....makes me wonder why I had that impression of him.
  • Not seen Tree of Life?
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    digi wrote:
    Brad Pitt is amazing in Deadpool 2

Such a subtle performance.
  • digi wrote:
    Brad Pitt is amazing in Deadpool 2

Such a subtle performance.
    He really disappears into the role.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    So Independence Day: Resurgence

This is some top class bad shit.

They bring back most of the cast introduce some kids into the mix and then create the worst plot I’ve seen in a while (and I watched Greenland recently).

I’ve not finished yet but some top bad bits include;

Will Smith’s son’s mom:
    Spoiler:

The limping ex-president has some moves:
    Spoiler:

The alien prisoners:
    Spoiler:

This is bad, but not in the it’s so bad it’s good category.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Watched The King on Netflix.  I always assume the worst when it comes to Netflix exclusives, but goddamn...what a brilliant film.
    Get schwifty.
  • Man, I've seen Independence Day: Resurgence and I literally remember nothing about it.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    It’s soooo bad. At the end you have..
    Spoiler:

I shit you not.

They throw in the usual daft characters getting into silly scrapes that add “humour” even though half of the planet has been decimated. Oh and a dog. Why is there always a fucking dog??
  • It's bad. Really bad.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Raiziel wrote:
    Watched The King on Netflix.  I always assume the worst when it comes to Netflix exclusives, but goddamn...what a brilliant film.

I was looking at that last night. It’s on my list.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!