Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Twilight

First film done, not as bad as I was expecting. I’ll give it a solid 5.

My notes as I watched:

So a slow start. Serious teen girl. Laconic cop dad. All seems good so far.

Native American kid with huge teeth and the worst hair I have ever seen.

First dodgy part of the script. Only about 3,000 people in the town but looks like the school has about 1,000 kids in it.

So the pasty faced doc adopts other kids, who all happen to have the same pale complexion. Mmmm.

Loads of post processing on the footage, far too much contrast.

Oh god. The young lass had just started panting because she is sitting next to Pats. Pats obviously wants to bite her. She looks like she is constantly in pain. We have lots of staring across the school canteen.

We have bad vamps. We can tell they’re bad because there’s a ginger lass and a black lad with dreads.

So vamp kid drives a Volvo. Very safety conscious.

This is basically a teen film that they have ripped any joy out of and decided to replace it with angst. I really am not meant to enjoy this.

Hang on. He doesn’t burn in sunlight. He gets blinged.

Ok the vamps love a bit of Scandi decor. I like that. The house is very nice.  

So Pats is pretty good for a first major role. She is terrible. I mean beyond bad terrible as an actress.

I quite like the doc dad as well. Not sure what I’ve seen him in.

So, it turns out the vamps love a bit of supersonic baseball, but can only play while there’s a storm. Bella is umpire (a thankless task) but then the baddies turn up and some banter turns into the real baddie (not the ginge or dread surprise) decides to hunt her, because it’s his thing.

We have weird moment where Bella (they’ve said it enough so I now know her name) is now hunted back home. Have to admit, I may have picked up the iPad and played some StS at this point. I next look up as the bad guy is breaking Bella’s leg, fair play for that vicious moment. Patts saves the day obvs. They then do some post stuff about prom and the hair lad turns up to want Bella away from pale guys. I mean that would be my angle if I was trying it on with her.

Oh and I am pretty sure the mom was the great bad ass from 24, who everyone loved to hate.
  • Nina?  The shock moment at the end of S1 was magnificent.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Wrong Turn - cheap looking nonsense, which is mostly annoying and stupid.
  • I'm certainly glad she got to be Joan Jett.

Funnily enough, we were just talking about that last night (because the Runaways on The Old Grey Whistle Test turned up on BBC4). Mrs pooprock’s never seen it, so I might get to watch it again soon.

Scout wrote:
    I was considering a similar scientific endeavour but with the Fast and Furious films. Not seen a single one.

You have such treats ahead. And I mean that, no sarcasm.
  • I love the F&F movies but for anyone jumping in I would say start with Fast and Furious (the 4th movie). This was a very soft reboot/return for the series. Then Fast 5 is where it really gets good.

All of them are cannon including Tokyo Drift but there is a noticeable difference between the first 3 and the rest.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I’ve only watched the first 3. I actually enjoyed the naffness of Tokyo Drift.
  • I think you need to watch the lot. You need to see the early movies in order to appreciate the subtle nods and in-jokes in the later ones.

I mean …
    Spoiler:
  • Ideally yeah but I can see people giving up during the first 3 and not getting to the more palatable later movies.
    Dunno, hard to say because nostalgia and lols with mates will always get me through the first ones.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    As an older guy I’ve kind of enjoyed when I watched the first three due to chatting about them with my daughter who loves em. After my Twilight challenge I will move on to F&F
  • Only ever seen the first one and the one with just Statham and Rock a couple of years ago.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Spoiler:
  • The first three are kind of forgettable.

It's the Fifth film that my interest was grabbed.

Loved them since that movie. Became less about the cars and more about stupid action set pieces and heists.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Twilight is shite. Why if they're immortal and been around for years do they keep going to school? Just pretend you're a bit older and do whatever the fuck you want.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    JonB wrote:
    Twilight is shite. Why if they're immortal and been around for years do they keep going to school? Just pretend you're a bit older and do whatever the fuck you want.

Cos they're creeps that like to seduce high-school kids.
  • JonB wrote:
    Twilight is shite. Why if they're immortal and been around for years do they keep going to school? Just pretend you're a bit older and do whatever the fuck you want.

The pursuit of knowledge.
  • JonB wrote:

The pursuit of knowledge.

The pursuit of teenage pooontang
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    Twilight First film done, not as bad as I was expecting. I’ll give it a solid 5. My notes as I watched: So a slow start. Serious teen girl. Laconic cop dad. All seems good so far. Native American kid with huge teeth and the worst hair I have ever seen. First dodgy part of the script. Only about 3,000 people in the town but looks like the school has about 1,000 kids in it. So the pasty faced doc adopts other kids, who all happen to have the same pale complexion. Mmmm. Loads of post processing on the footage, far too much contrast. Oh god. The young lass had just started panting because she is sitting next to Pats. Pats obviously wants to bite her. She looks like she is constantly in pain. We have lots of staring across the school canteen. We have bad vamps. We can tell they’re bad because there’s a ginger lass and a black lad with dreads. So vamp kid drives a Volvo. Very safety conscious. This is basically a teen film that they have ripped any joy out of and decided to replace it with angst. I really am not meant to enjoy this. Hang on. He doesn’t burn in sunlight. He gets blinged. Ok the vamps love a bit of Scandi decor. I like that. The house is very nice.   So Pats is pretty good for a first major role. She is terrible. I mean beyond bad terrible as an actress. I quite like the doc dad as well. Not sure what I’ve seen him in. So, it turns out the vamps love a bit of supersonic baseball, but can only play while there’s a storm. Bella is umpire (a thankless task) but then the baddies turn up and some banter turns into the real baddie (not the ginge or dread surprise) decides to hunt her, because it’s his thing. We have weird moment where Bella (they’ve said it enough so I now know her name) is now hunted back home. Have to admit, I may have picked up the iPad and played some StS at this point. I next look up as the bad guy is breaking Bella’s leg, fair play for that vicious moment. Patts saves the day obvs. They then do some post stuff about prom and the hair lad turns up to want Bella away from pale guys. I mean that would be my angle if I was trying it on with her. Oh and I am pretty sure the mom was the great bad ass from 24, who everyone loved to hate.

From what I remember, the first one is the most bearable to watch.

The rest that I've seen or seen bits of, are terribly shite, so I look forward to your thoughts.
  • Twilight 2 - I miss my boyfriend. Watch me mope.
  • But guys.... Baseball in a thunderstorm. It's all worth it
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • If anyone hasn’t seen Margin Call I recommend you keep it that way. It’s a complete duffer.

This is a slight exaggeration. It’s 95% duffer with one good line from The Vision.
  • I completely disagree. Really liked Margin Call.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Margin Call is a just a sequence of scenes with great dialogue and performances. Loved it.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Margin Call is great.
  • It might have been the bonk on the nose Kevin Spaceys soul being represented by the life of a dog or it might have been how everyone just bussed around between meetings but i felt no real tension.

Just to add here. It might be so far away from the financial crash too. It’s hard to be shocked by it. I think also if you have a vague idea of what happened (eg by watching the big short) having the same over leveraged tranche conversation three times but increasingly dumbed down (once the first time with Vision then the meeting with the mentalist then the meeting with Jeremy Irons) is bad for rhythm.

The last scene where everyone is tasked to do this thing and then they just do the thing was really boring.

Some guy was crying because he was about to lose his job but. He is going to make ten times his annual wage in one day so um. Sorry dude I guess?!
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I liked the apparent detachment from reality (as the products they traded in were); underpinned by the fact that most of the film happens in the quiet of one night. 

It's blood on the carpet. If losing your job with millions in your pocket is a blood letting.....Cold with little emotion. Irons is mesmerising for all that.

Big Short is more entertaining but I like Margin Call's take on the story.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Yeah there is a very calculated air about it. The matter of factness of the whole thing might have been the intention and it felt that way to the end. I guess in that sense it does work but it didn’t grip me for its cleverness.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Twilight: New Moon

Much cleaner cinematography. They’ve toned down the contrast a bit.

So her fear is that she gets old and he just keeps on looking handsome. It’s all a bit weird I guess when you think about vamps hanging around a school and dating kids then they grow old.

But here we are she actually smiled! Brilliant she has another look apart from pained.

God Jacob’s hair is terrible.

Tbf it would be good to have vegan vamps as friends. Ok birthday party shenanigans would indicate maybe not.

Wow she’s already asked to be changed. Girl don’t hang around.

Bella got dumped hard. Damn! She needs to head to the Love is Shit Thread. Proper teen angst now. More undead fish in the sea Bella.

So the people in last film who nearly gang raped her she decides to head to because “I’m reckless”. Wow this is great life advice for young women going through shitty teen break ups.

Poor rebound guy Jacob. Ha ha Jacob on top form making his move. Sly dog. Or werewolf I’m guessing. So Bella gets sight of the six pack and starts to forget Patts.

Damn girl wants it all. She wants the “friend” but doesn’t want him but does want him to want her. I mean at least she’s honest about it.

Thank god Jacob has decent hair at last. She loves a mysterious man does Bella.

Big big wolves. Obviously Jacob and the tribe. Must cost em a fortune in shorts and converse. So she’s now in with werewolf family too.

Ginger girl is back. Bella is being a major cocktease to poor Jacob.

Alice is pretty fit though. Only silver lining so far.

Wow this jumped the shark. She’s now flying to Italy?! But what about ginger girl? Is she protagonist number one now? Also Italy seems a bad place to hold up as a vampire, it looks very sunny. Hey it’s Michael Sheen. Looks not dissimilar to how he is in Tron Legacy.

So Bella is Vamp immune. They decide to kill her. But she offers up her life for Patts. Sheen is impressed that she would give up her life for a vamp, not once considering that a teenage girl would give up her life to the Patts, as hormones are fucking all over the place. How is he still alive?

And the end is she’s basically begging to be bit and be a vamp forever. But Patts one condition is that she’s in it forever and that he wants her to marry him. She then takes a short sharp breath as the film cuts to credits. This clearly highlights the fickle nature of youth. “I love you I love you I’ll do anything for you” “Want to get married?” “Err”

So is it any worse or better than the first film? Probably not. Production quality has clearly gone up. The story seems to meander all over the place. The films are far too long for what they are trying to say. Some good editing wouldn’t go amiss.
  • Boris why are you torturing yourself? Onto Vampire Diaries and The Originals after Twilight series?
  • And then, after the whole Twilight franchise, he needs to move on to the 50 Shades of Grey trilogy.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!