Movie record 2020 edition
  • 151. Double Jeopardy
    Ashley Judd's wronged woman is a determined force for justice in this mildly entertaining 90s thriller. 6
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • 152. Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
    Caine's conning cad and Martin's overacted fraudster combine to comedic effect in this amusing 80s comedy. 7
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • 43. Bloodshot
    Bloodshit more like. Worth seeing for the hilariously inept transition during a chase scene from indoors London to what is quite obviously outdoors California - they didn't even bother to change the cars or licence plates. (2)

44. Joker
    Well. My misgivings about them giving the character an origin story aside, this was a great bit of cinema with an absolutely god-tier performance by Phoenix. (9)

45. Aquaman
    Fucking hell this is a bad, bad film. So very very bad in almost every way. Still, it's not as shit as Bloodshot so there's that. Or is it as shit? I'm not sure anymore. (3)
    Gamertag: gremill
  • The best part of Aquaman is the jaunty made for TV Movie stock music when Aquaman and girl are in the desert.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    The best part of Aquaman is the jaunty made for TV Movie stock music when Aquaman and girl are in the desert.

Haha, yeah. It manages to be simultaneously a clearly very expensive film, but also incredibly cheap looking. Black Manta looks like a bad cosplay Power Ranger.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Still reeling over Webbins giving Dirty Rotten Scoundrels a paltry (7)
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Whatever you do, do not watch this remake.
    poprock wrote:
    The Hustle
    Anne Hathaway and Rebel Wilson in a remake of Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, with all humour removed and replaced by actual steaming horseshit.
  • Still reeling over Webbins giving Dirty Rotten Scoundrels a paltry (7)

Maybe a touch of over familiarity on my part, but this has been seen several times over the years. Plus it was the first time I've watched it and thought Martin's over egging was half amusing and half grating, our Mike fully deserving of his plaudits however.

Hey, I buffed I, Tonya for you.
  • poprock wrote:
    Whatever you do, do not watch this remake.
    poprock wrote:
    The Hustle Anne Hathaway and Rebel Wilson in a remake of Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, with all humour removed and replaced by actual steaming horseshit.

Yes, I have no inclination to pursue this.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Dirty Rotten Scoundrels is a classic. Saw it at the cinema at the time and it was a riot. It was when Martin was at his absolute peak, mind you, and people would laugh at the mention of his name.
  • 160. Theartre of Blood - 7
    Vincent Price plays a classical actor who gets snubbed and embarks on a twisted revenge plot on the judges. Started off a bit slow and dull, but I ended up really enjoying it.

161. Donnie Brasco - 7
    FBI agent played by wife beater Johnny Depp infiltrates one of the the big gangster families. Based on true events, good but unfortunately not great.

162. Carlito's Way - 8
    Al Pacino's character wants to leave the gangster life behind but it keeps pulling him back in. Good fun, Sean Penn is brilliant as the corrupt lawyer.

163. A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010) - 5
    Another slasher film for my brief halloween mood. A but better than the Friday the 13th reboot but not by much.

164. Freddie VS Jason - 4
    Didn't like this one really. I can see why some would though as it's self aware, and a bit tongue and check because of it, which is fine if that's your thing. Not one for me though.

165. Halloween (2018) - 6
    One of the better Halloween sequels, nice to see Jamie Lee Curtis return.

166. Father Figures - 4
    Poor comedy about two twins searching for their biological Father. Best part is Katt Williams' cameo as a hitch hiker. One to avoid.

167. Bride Wars - 4
    Another very forgetful comedy. Two friends become rivals when they have the same date for their Weddings. Meh.

168. Raiders of the Lost Ark - 8
    Needed a classic after a dodgy run. Bad dates, top film.

169. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom - 7
    Was my favourite in the series for a long time as a kid. Not as good as the first or third entries but still solid and good fun.

170. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade - 9
    Definitely my pick of the bunch. The late Sean Connery is superb as Indy's Dad. Marcus Brody asking anyone speaks English still has me in tears of laughter.

171. Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull - 6
    I thought this was ok, not as good as the rest but it was always gonna struggle against those. Ray Winstone is by far the worst part of the movie, his character makes so many U-turns by the end it's really hard to care. 

My list
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Ah man don’t remind me about Freddy vs. Jason. One of the worst movies I have ever seen.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Yeah it was a stinker for sure.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Is that 171 for the year so far Retro? I thought I was well behind you but I'm on ~150.

Agree with your takes on Indie and the Freddie/Halloween re-dos.
  • I fall into the camp of enjoying Freddie vs Jason, but it is still shit and I wouldnt score it any higher than yourself.
  • nick_md wrote:
    Is that 171 for the year so far Retro? I thought I was well being you but I'm on ~150.

Agree with your takes on Indie and the Freddie/Halloween re-dos.

Yes mate, 171 so far.

Probably doesn't help that I review in bulk tbf. A couple of hours ago I was on technically on 159 in the thread tally, but in reality I watched them between 27/10 and this evening.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Nice going. Watching more films has deffo been an upside of lockdown.
  • 173. The Beach House
    I liked what the story was going for but the whole thing was a bit too amateurish to sell it in an interesting way.
    [4]

174. Possessor
    Now this is what I'm talking about. Obviously learnt a few things off his pops about the effectiveness of real effects and finding the right line for gratuity. Apparently there's an Uncut version which he says is the proper version. The non-uncut was still good.
    [8]
  • LivDiv wrote:
    I fall into the camp of enjoying Freddie vs Jason, but it is still shit and I wouldnt score it any higher than yourself.

I thought I'd hate it, only got round to watching it last month.  Ended up really enjoying it on the whole (was drinking), but I wouldn't say it's a good film.  Odd.  Would probably go as high as [6].  Seemed to flit between being an impressively accurate 80s horror pastiche and 'absolute bobbins'.

It's basically a galaxy brain meme, but I can't work out where it ends up.
  • 153. Child's Play
    A revisit to the OG Chucky having watched the reboot earlier in the year. It flips from mildly creepy to perilous horror once Chucky comes 'alive', and offers a very effective finale. 7
  • Freddie vs Jason is a weird one. I adore it, but I think some people wanted a full on horror film. Problem was in the 15 or so years since it was first mooted, the world had moved on. Going tongue in cheek was the only route really.
  • I'm revisiting FvJ after my NoES run. I saw it originally at the cinema. As fan service it works, two icons of horror having a rub. I think even back then you knew the film was bobbins but the concept was strong enough to pull you through. I saw the F13 reboot at the cinema too, but equally the draw of Jason outweighed the demerits of the film.
  • I seem to remember Jason X as being decent, in the most ludicrous definition of the word.
  • Never seen it. Did happen across it one very late night on the Sci Fi channel but it looked TV movie levels of bad so swerved it. Last year I did the F13 run but I think I topped out at VIII as Jason Goes to Hell and X weren't on the legit streaming sites.
  • Jason X is a riot. It will depend on how much you think the idea of "what if Friday the 13th but in space?" sounds fun.
  • 46. Total Recall (1990)
    Unbelievable that this is 30 years old - well, not really because it wears its decade quite obviously. But. What a film. Still the absolute pinnacle of Arnies career, imo, and Verhoeven bosses it - I'm still undecided whether Arnie was in on the joke or not but in the end it doesn't matter. Top class straight action sci-fi movie or tongue in cheek dismantling of the genre, it works either way. See you at the party Richter! (9)
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Great film
  • No lie I really want a print out of the club poster Quaid finds in the deposit box in total recall, the sex club one.
  • They're all connected! *Grimace*

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!