Movie record 2020 edition
  • 39. Murder on the Orient Express. Entertaining and stylish adaptation by and starring Branagh. I hope he follows it up with Death on the Nile, because I really enjoyed this far more than I thought I would - fantastic cast too. (7)
    He is making Death on the Nile. Or has made. It was supposed to be out soonish anyway. Not sure when it'll get released now though
    Result! I'll be looking out for it. This was my first ever watch of an Agatha Christie adaptation and I really enjoyed it.
    Have you seen Knives Out?
    I watched that the other day. It's good, and I enjoyed it...but...as an Agatha Christie-esque whodunnit, it's not very well crafted. Still good fun though.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Overlord
    A WW2 unit stumble across a Nazi lab in which horrible experiments are taking place and it all goes a bit wrong.
    In the Netflix "horror" category, not very scary but alot of fun!
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Warrior

Haven't seen this since the cinema release. Such an incessant barrage of everything this sort of film requires. All boxes ticked twice, remarkable stuff. Steps over the line on numerous occasions with layer upon layer of mawkishness but emerges bloody and victorious. [9].
  • 142. The Talented Mr. Ripley
    Matt Damon plays a very adroit role as the unassumingly dark and twisted Ripley in this solid Minghella thriller. 8

143. Guess Who
    Beautiful Zoe Saldana brings home Ashton Kutcher much to the shock of the always watchable and sorely missed Bernie Mac in this race relations themed comedy. 6
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Overlord A WW2 unit stumble across a Nazi lab in which horrible experiments are taking place and it all goes a bit wrong. In the Netflix "horror" category, not very scary but alot of fun!

That opening sequence is a stunner. Could see the JJ influence in the sound and visual execution of it
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Going back through the Marvel’s on Disney+

Ant-Man and the Wasp fun nonsense like the first one carried mainly by Rudd and Pena, but an all round solid cast. As the first film it’s the baddie that’s weak. [7]

Captain Marvel probably the most average film in the franchise. Some good moments on Earth with Fury and Marvel, but I’m really only watching now to connect the dots and watch the post credits scenes ready for end game. [5]
  • Gremill wrote:
    Gremill wrote:
    39. Murder on the Orient Express
    Entertaining and stylish adaptation by and starring Branagh. I hope he follows it up with Death on the Nile, because I really enjoyed this far more than I thought I would - fantastic cast too. (7)

He is making Death on the Nile. Or has made. It was supposed to be out soonish anyway. Not sure when it'll get released now though

Result! I'll be looking out for it. This was my first ever watch of an Agatha Christie adaptation and I really enjoyed it.

Have you seen Knives Out?

Yes, actually watched that the week before MotOE. Great fun.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • 154.Remember the Titans
    A pretty good story but the film is edited together a bit too snippy. Fun to see young Ryan Gosling and Hayden Pannitierre.
    [6]

155. Three Identical Strangers
    An interesting story let down by poor documentary making. The way it was presented was a bit meh, with lots of repeated snippets because the audience is dumb. Also the final message of the doco is pretty gross I thought.
    [5]

156. Kung Fu Panda
    Still pretty fun and funny. Nothing special but a nice relaxing watch.
    [6]
  • 69. Roma - 18 Oct
    Another beautiful and sad tale in B&W about some female hardship. Amazing that Cuaron was responsible for so much of the film - directing, writing, producing, shooting, jointly editing. What a guy. Top film.
    [9]
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Dream House
    Decent little thriller starring Daniel Craig. Short enough to not out stay its welcome and keeps you guessing. It is on iPlayer for any interested.
    [7]
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    69. Roma - 18 Oct Another beautiful and sad tale in B&W about some female hardship. Amazing that Cuaron was responsible for so much of the film - directing, writing, producing, shooting, jointly editing. What a guy. Top film. [9]

Yeah I really liked this too. He said that he chose to be the DoP on this instead of using his normal guy because so much of the movie was based on his memories growing up that he knew he wouldn't be able to get that feel across in words and so just had to do it himself. Obviously a very personal film for him.
  • 40. The Raid
    Rewatch on BR with the lad, who rightly loved it. It's an absolute classic. (9)
  • 152. Doctor at Large - 5
    Another decent British comedy, an improvement over 'at Sea' but still not a patch on the first entry.

153. Hubie Halloween - 5
    Adam Sandler comedies range from hilarious to unwatchable. This one is ok, some laughs and decent cameos. Good Halloween film for Kids tbf.

154. House On Haunted Hill (1959) - 7
    Solid Vincent Price horror and a damn sight better than the remake.

155. Carry on Abroad - 8
    Hugh CO fan so take the rating with a pinch of salt. Arguably the last good film in the series, and notable for being the last to have all the big cast members in it.

156. The Fly (1958) - 8
    I'm a big fan of the 80's remake, and this was my first viewing of the original. Glad to say it stands up really well on its own merits, superb stuff.

157. The Haunted Palace - 5
    Another Vincent Price horror. I wanted to like it more than I did, the atmosphere is spot on but unfortunately I just found it a bit predictable and dull.

My list
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • The Hunt

Well that was fun! Really enjoyable satire and made me laugh more than I thought it would
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Tintin

Second time I've seen this. It's great fun, never been a fan of the character but the set piece hopping Indiana Journalist stuff works really well as a 100 min spectacle. One of Spielberg's best in recent years imo, possibly as good as Paddington as a big screen adaptation.
  • 158. My Octopus Teacher
    Some cunt tells an overblown story about hanging out with an octopus and how it taught him something but not really. Rather hated it even though the octopus was cool.
    [2]

159. Final Girls
    A fun premise but too much effort put into style without spending time on the writing.
    [6]

160. Session 9
    Some creepy imagery at times but never quite nailed it for me. I liked Borderlands better as a similar thing.
    [6]
  • 161. Kung Fu Panda 2
    Better than the first? Yeah I think so. Shame the action choreography and direction doesn't hit the heights of the opening though. Some nice steady wide shots there.
    [7]
  • 70. Borat 2 - 23 Oct
    Started off a bit shit, got better. The hidden camera bits were good, some shocking stuff showing up America. That Giuliani interview, yikes.
    [6]
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • 144. A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors
    Entertaining follow up to Freddy's Revenge, great cast of characters including young Patricia Arquette and Larry Fishburne, fantastic kills that play on the victim's hopes or fears and Freddy's cutting one liners (Welcome to Primetime, BITCH!). 8

145. Sleeping with the Enemy
    The lovely Julia Roberts battles to escape the clutches of Patrick Bergin's abusive 'tache in this standard 90s thriller. 6

146. A Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master
    A weaker follow up to 3 as the Dream Warriors are bothered by Freddy again. Filmed during the '88 writers strike so suffers in that regard and from losing Patricia Arquette in Kristen's role. 6

147. Dirty Dancing
    A cute, starry eyed yet determined Jennifer Grey and a brooding, hip thrusting Swayze, shimmy and shake their way through this iconic 80s chick flick. Such a great uplifting ending. 7
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • 41. Moneyball
    I've no interest in baseball but thankfully didn't need any to enjoy this really well told and even heart warming at times story about the power of numbers and the little team that could (almost). 8
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Think that is the same take everyone has who watches the film. I know noting about baseball, except it’s Rounders for US men, but I enjoyed it start-to-finish.

True fact - I got a tennis ball right in the family jewels when playing rounders as a kid. Dropped like a brick.
  • 42. Mission Impossible: Fallout
    Spectacular. Too long, but some phenomenal chases, fights, stunts and camera work tide you through the mammoth run time. Might be the best in the series. 8
  • I keep meaning to watch that again. Thoroughly enjoyed that one.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • It's the best in the series and one of the finest action movies from the last few years.

You can always count on a bit of Cruise
  • 162. Pontypool
    Started strong with a much more professional look than I was expecting but then it couldn't deliver in the final half with poor execution.
    [5]
  • 158. Friday the 13th (2009) - 5
    Not a huge slasher horror fan but this was ok I guess.

159. Children of Men - 8
    Thought-provoking futuristic dystopian thriller that really gripped me, stuck with me after the credits which is always a good thing. 'Pull my finger'

My list
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Gremill wrote:
    42. Mission Impossible: Fallout Spectacular. Too long, but some phenomenal chases, fights, stunts and camera work tide you through the mammoth run time. Might be the best in the series. 8

Agreed. The Mission Impossible films just seem to get better and better, the last three have all been much better than I extpected.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ

• 163. Black Sheep
    Pretty darn good horror comedy in the vein of Dead Alive. Quite funny and some good practical WETA effects.
    [7]
  • 164. The Ruins
    Cliched set up but a fun and interesting setting with some good sequences and the right amount of gore. Shame the ending didn't do a little more.
    [7]
  • 165. Kung Fu Panda 3
    A shame they threw away the storytelling and direction style of the first 2 to make a kinda low brow, wink wink, typical kids animation. Still funny at times though.
    [4]

166. Rear Window
    Stumbled into watching this again. Still a classic and amazing how well it all holds up apart from some visuals at the end.
    [8]

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!