SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    34 games, eh? Man, I’m still on 12!

5 here. Getting closer with Pokemon Shield, and hopefully I'll find enough hours and courage for Bloodborne (first From Software game, arrived at FatherG, but I have a plan for next time).

FFXIV has been my weekend chill game, not sure if I'll continue that after I've hit the free level 60 cap. It's pretty good once it gets going.

I see B play through so many shorter games in a couple evenings / weeks, and I'm slightly jealous of that, but I always seem to get stuck into stat games.
  • I’m chipping away at P5Royal, currently at 66hrs and 8th Sept. 

Should hopefully do A Short Hike and Telling Lies soon. And maybe try and finish Celeste!

May count Slay The Spire again this year if I manage another 100 hours on it. :)
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    A Short Hike is one I saw B play, and it looks absolutely lovely.

I actually might count Astro Boy, I completed the first playthrough, but decided that I should do Rebirth as well. It's pretty fun to do, and I should continue, but technically I've seen the credits.

How is Royal? I should start 3 at some point, might be the best thing to do once I've reached the free level cap in FFXIV
  • Loving Royal. Was a slow start and it’s no 4, but still. Great stuff.
  • OMG LAST DAY IN HAWAII WHO DO I SPEND IT WITH BOTH MAKOTO AND HIFUMI CAME UP!!!
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    You're weird... it's neither obvs
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    81. Paper Mario: The Origami King - Switch  (roughly 30hrs) [/img]
    Oh man was hoping you'd say the battle system clicks after a while!  Devastating.

I can't get my head around fighting in this game.  Either instantly solve it instantly, or randomly spin tiles around until time runs out.  Keep waiting to go 'I know Kung Fu', but it turns out this cartoon game for children is too cerebral for me.

Took me half an hour to beat the second boss.  First time, he killed me with his special attack.  I had to use the turtle summon to avoid it, and spent most of my turn making sure I had the summon tile lined up properly (I keep getting the normal attack, big arm attack and summon tiles confused).  But in doing so I f**ked up the arrows and Mario strutted out and fell flat on his face like an asshole.  Could only swear at the Nintendo as the Game Over played out over the course of like 30 brutal seconds.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • Find as many toads as you can is the best advice for muddling through, I ended up with far more money than I needed so called on the 12th man regularly. The tile thing is a bamboozler, my brain doesn't work like that so I [Crystal Maze lock-in gif'd] dozens of times. Weird system but still a delightful game if you can stick with it.
  • 88. Warriors of Fate (Capcom Beat 'em up Bundle, Switch) 

Another online playthrough with retroking.  There's been some debate over the merits of this one compared to Knights of the Round.  I thought this was vastly superior, retro didn't seem to think there was much in it.  The grab move just made it all feel a little less one-note for me (plus the jump attack was actually useful), but it's all much of a muchness really.  I thought it was slightly more fair too, rather than designed to earn an extra 20p per boss. Decent, but it has made me realise my retro scoring system is a nonsense as I gave Captain Commando a higher mark.  Quite long at nine stages, nice enough to look at and there's good bit where you fight each other midway through (which I only lost because of LAG). [6]

ImpressiveClassicIbex-size_restricted.gif
  • 44. Warriors of Fate (Arcade) - 60mins  

Will basically echo what @Moot_Geeza said above. Whilst I did prefer this over Knights of the Round, it wasn't the night and day difference it was for him.

Just like Captain Commando, they're all ok. Forgetful and not worth returning to, but fine for a single playthrough.

5/10  

My list
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • 24. Super Mario Bros 3 (from All Stars on SNES Virtual Console)
    I didn’t mean to complete this. I just thought it had been a while so booted it up to take a quick look. The levels in Mario 3 are often tiny, just a little idea or two then onto the next. Like a selection of nibbles, hors d’euvres and vol au vents. And the first plate went down so quickly that I had another then another and before I knew what was happening, I’d scoffed the lot.

Despite the small size of the levels, there’s tons of them, stacked and layered in a maze. And they’re brutal. An uncompromising difficulty that they’d started to wind in by the next game. Til today where you’ve got your over-generous hit boxes and benefit-of-the-doubt collision detection. Not here though. Want to use that invincibility after getting hit? To not only get away from the enemy that hit you but clear through the next one too? Fuck you pal, you get less than one second to get yourself together. It’s here to stop you dying from the enemy that’s just got you and that’s it.

Koopa shells are lethal when they’re bouncing around. Boos aren’t just there to give you something to think about, they’re gunning right for you. The castles are tiny but ruthless puzzle boxes. The physics of the jumping combined with the eye of the needle, split-second windows to get to the next platform placement through the mess or enemies and projectile dodging. Extraordinary stuff. The bosses are piss poor of course and the soundtrack is slightly phoned in if you ask me. [9]

Edit- actually on the soundtrack, it’s probable that this was the first time these old familiars were done. When playing I’d assumed they’d carried a lot over from Mario 1. I dunno.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Verecocha wrote:
    34.Control: AWE - 4 Hours - 6/10 - Xbox One X

Well...it was more Control which is always a good thing...but was it too much or was there just so little new that it was disappointing? Expected a lot of the Alan Wake link and was left disappointed. Hardly anything beyond admittedly interesting collectibles. Could’ve been much, much more. Kinda sad to end my relationship with Control on that note...few extra bits but, my time there is done.

Heartbroken to hear this. Control is such a fucking banger and Alan Wake is one of those weird games I have penchant for from the 360 era. Sad to hear it hasn't come together.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Verecocha wrote:
    34.Control: AWE - 4 Hours - 6/10 - Xbox One X

Well...it was more Control which is always a good thing...but was it too much or was there just so little new that it was disappointing? Expected a lot of the Alan Wake link and was left disappointed. Hardly anything beyond admittedly interesting collectibles. Could’ve been much, much more. Kinda sad to end my relationship with Control on that note...few extra bits but, my time there is done.

Heartbroken to hear this. Control is such a fucking banger and Alan Wake is one of those weird games I have penchant for from the 360 era. Sad to hear it hasn't come together.

I know. Was really looking forward to it. Potentially too much Control after Foundation? I really enjoyed Foundation but felt like this was just more for the sake of it. No new abilities, a half decent new weapon, no new environments or interesting puzzles. The collectibles were enjoyable but aside from those there was nothing to do with Alan aside from a few calls. Really dissatisfied BUT it could be as I just wanted so much more.

Best thing is for you to play it and tell me what you think.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I will do. I'm only in for the aw connection.
  • @monkey nice SMB3 write up mate, still one of my favourites. Been tempted to revisit myself since becoming available on Switch.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Two from me today.  Both 'soft finishes' given that there's more to do if I want but I'm done so in they go.  

89. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater - Xbox One (4hrs)

Only touched the first game so far, three big sessions saw me to the end of Roswell.  I was ready for it today, got the Red Stripe in and lovingly prepared a couple of hash joints for the full nostalgia.  From demo to release to spruced up DC port I loved THPS, the early days of the series were slap bang in the middle of the post-pub glory days of gaming for me.  Tony Hawk's 1&2, Worms Armageddon, undercooked oven pizza and my mate's older brother's immense CD collection - scenes.  The combo skater genre was absolutely legit as a new challenger and it still stands up with a lick of paint today.  I'm too far gone to go into any real depth here but I had a brilliant time with it.  I absolutely smashed the first two rounds of Roswell too, but choked on the final heat for a paltry silver.  There's more to do of course, but I'm satisfied with a run through.  Will take a week or two off then blitz no.2.  Happy tears stuff. [9]

GregariousLikelyCob-size_restricted.gif

90. Hotshots Racing - Xbox One (70 mins)

A modern approximation of a Model One arcade racer.  The rubber banding is insane, but I was enjoying myself so much at this point in the evening I didn't care.  I sailed through the GP on normal mode with 1st places on every track bar the final two, but again :big shrug:.  If playing it on a harder difficulty makes that shit more annoying I'll opt out.  It controls well and looks like a 13yr old me's wet dream.  

Would I have shunted 50p's into this in Trocadero?  Yes/No

Would I have written to The Official Sega Magazine to ask if this was coming out on the 32X?  Yes/No

Are there aeroplanes, helicopters and ferris wheels knocking around in the background as you skid about?  Yes/No

Does it have more than three tracks and is essentially 'free' on Game Pass, rather than £69.99 due to something called an SVP chip?  Yes/No   

Can you ignore the disastrous music and put a Hey-Hey-Let's-Go-Faster poodle RAWK Sega soundtrack over the top of it on the SPotify app as you play?  Yes/No

It's an [8] from me.  Will I play it again?  Yes/Probably Not, but I had an absolutely cracking time with it.

steam-gif-1.gif?t=1599764086
  • @monkey nice SMB3 write up mate, still one of my favourites. Been tempted to revisit myself since becoming available on Switch.
    You can probably get a whole book out of how good it is. Even with something like the map. It could have just been a simple map. It’s not like they were common then. But instead it’s full of mechanics and little mazes and stuff. It’s held up so well it’s hard to believe. The 16-bit graphics help admittedly.
  • Ive been holding off from Tony Hawk until I’m a bit more sure about what console brand I’ll be on next year. I can see it getting a lot of playtime.
  • 91. Spiritfarer - Xbox One - roughly 25hrs

What a beautiful game.  The whole thing bears the hallmarks of a good Studio Ghibli film - you know that Ghibli feeling that's hard to describe - somewhere between a dream escaping as you almost remember it and a faint childhood memory of The Moomins?  Yes/No - anyway: that feeling.  Somehow it manages to create a joyful whole out of a macabre journey filled with incessant pockets of busywork.  It's essentially a cross between the seafaring of Wind Waker, Animal Crossing and (warning: educated guess incoming) Stardew Valley, albeit with surprisingly tight 2D platforming controls.  There's a minor smattering of Metroidvania in there too as certain areas can't be visited until you've unlocked certain abilities, but the overwhelming majority of your time will be spent either running errands or repeating set routines.  It's quite clearly not for me, is it?  Well, I thought that and I was wrong too.  The unusual two player mode helped win me over, along with the overspill of charm (it's rare to find a co-op experience where both players lead, but aside from player two not being able to initiate conversations it's pretty much shared duties throughout).  I played 90% of it with Tilly - some of the busier busywork aside - and when the credits rolled we had a really nice chat about how she couldn't work out why she was crying as she felt happy and sad at the same time.  "I get that with John Prine songs sometimes" was about the best I could offer.  AND WE HUGGED IT OUT. 

The visuals are always pleasant and occasionally gorgeous, the writing is strong in all areas and the soundtrack is absolutely sublime.  I thought Paper Mario or Kentucky Route Zero would win the year for me in terms of audio, but the score to this is frankly ridiculous.  

Not for everyone, which I've been typing a lot recently but it's especially true here.  I can't really explain why it grabbed me, because on paper it absolutely wouldn't, but I can say it'll end up as one of my games of the year.  [8] in current form as it's a glitchy little number at present.  We had numerous issues and it always felt like we were sailing close to the wind with something gamebreaking waiting to sink us.  Mercifully that didn't happen, but holding out for a patch might not be a bad idea.  Minor imperfections aside the whole thing is a warm hug that goes on slightly too long.

Steam_2.gif?t=1598908042
  • 41: Picross S3 (Switch) - 7/10

This is a perfectly fine collection of picross puzzles.  The ho-hum score I'm giving it is because this is the 3rd picross game I've bought for Switch.  Let's be honest you only need 1.  It's not like you remember how to do the puzzles.  

With that said I do have an order for Murder By Numbers, picross based detective game which I think Jon enjoyed?

42: Super Mario Bros 3 (Mario All Stars) (Switch) - 9/10

Agree with Monkey's post on this page.  Especially with how precise you need to be compared to other games, where *just about* jumping on an enemy's head is good enough.  There's a bit of relearning needed.

Had never beaten it before.  Only beat it this time thanks to save states!  Though I think I was less of a scumbag than when I played the DKC games earlier this year.

43: Tony Hawk's 1 & 2 (PC) - 10/10

Tremendous stuff here!  As Moot so eloquently wrote it's a very distinct blast from the past that absolutely holds its own today.  Playing this, it's hard to believe that the serious and EXTREME* sports games in general fizzled out.

In any case it's amazing how well put together it is - the basics are easy to execute and it does a great job of encouraging you to link those basics together.  I'm a very average player but there's no comparison between how much better I am now than when I started last week.  Reminded me of like a single player Street Fighter or something.  Top stuff.

*Around 2005, several years after EXTREME was a big thing, I worked at an apprenticeship training company.  No one was taking up our School Based Apprenticeships program, so the marketing lady rebranded them as eXtreme Apprenticeships.  The logo had a big green spraypaint X and everything.  It didn't work.
  • 41: Picross S3 (Switch) - 7/10 This is a perfectly fine collection of picross puzzles.  The ho-hum score I'm giving it is because this is the 3rd picross game I've bought for Switch.  Let's be honest you only need 1.  It's not like you remember how to do the puzzles.   With that said I do have an order for Murder By Numbers, picross based detective game which I think Jon enjoyed?
    Yeah, it's a bit of an awkward mix, but I thought it was good fun:
    https://wireframe.raspberrypi.org/articles/murder-by-numbers-review-a-visual-novel-puzzler-hybrid-with-heart
  • Nice review.  It does sound like an arbitrary pairing of genres at first (and brings to mind Mass Effect Andromeda - where you had to do a sudoku to unlock doors lol) but everyone who's played it seems to have had a good time.  Looking forward to it.
  • 92. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 (Xbox One) - 3hrs

Smashed through the main game in this as Chad's stats carried over from THPS.  Just as good, but it turns out I don't have as much affection/nostalgia for most of the stages.  Still tremendous fun though. [8]
  • 93. MO: Astray - Switch (6hrs)

Inside is one of my favourite games this gen and Super Meat Boy is one of my favourites from last gen.  What if a talented group of lads and lasses managed to successfully combine strong elements of both styles into one glorious indie offering?  As near perfect as Inside is, it never really tests the player with its platforming, whereas MO never really stops - the SMB/The End is Nigh screen of insta-death template goes hand in hand with most of the puzzles; you'll need quick thumbs to execute plans successfully, and you'll die a lot.  I was amazed by the quality of pretty much everything on offer here, especially for a game that arrived with such little fanfare.  It's very close to Celeste in terms of pitch-perfect overall excellence.  Everything bar one particular section works well and the controls are always spot on.  Full recommendation alert, easily one of the best games I've played this year, if not on the Switch full stop.  [9] 

ed1fa1_9f45cf54d98840f29eafa6d1ccf4a068~mv2.gif
  • Damn, I was thinking of getting it but if Moot likes it, I probably won’t.
  • I don't think you'd dig it.  Not enough unrequited love or pointy blue haircuts covering facial scars.
  • Scrap that I've got a better one.

I don't think you'd dig it. Unrequited love for pointy blue haircuts covering facial scars is your MO.

*Elf drops sword and says I'm good enough to fight the swordmaster*
  • 35.REmake - 10 Hours - 8/10 - Xbox One X

Really running out of stuff I wanna play this gen and fancied another RE run through, AND I’ve never actually completed a Chris play through. Gone through as Jill god knows how many times, and I think it might have been the only RE I’ve not completed with all available characters. Not anymore! Still such a great game, can’t say anything that hasn’t been said about it before. Stone cold classic.
  • 94. Death's Hangover - Switch (80mins)

Possible Mootliest game of the year alert.  I enjoyed Strikey Sisters the other day and this popped up on the EShop for £4ish recently.  It's another 16-bit era arcadelike Breakout type with very basic bounce physics.  You can slow the ball down with the A button or speed it up with B while your bumper and the enemies continue at normal speed, which is quite a nice mechanic.  Work your way through the castle via various routes by smashing breakable doors leading to the next stage, picking up power ups, slaying occasional bosses and hopefully nabbing a few hard-to-reach souls to cheat death along the way (i.e 'continue'). 

Obviously it's a paddle type but it felt a lot like Pinball of the Dead in places.  Nothing special, but probably slightly better than I was expecting.  [6].  Won't trouble any hidden gems lists these days but it'd be one of the better unknown GBA games.  'They don't make 'em like they used to' is an idiom that no longer applies to games. 

deaths-hangover-switch-screenshot01.jpg
  • 45. Bad Dudes Vs. DragonNinja (Arcade) - 30mins  

Wow, this really is quite bad.

Best way to describe the basic gameplay would be Shinobi meets Double Dragon.

Like a typical arcade game this just throws enemies at you with a timer counting down to make you pump more quarters in.

It's all very basic and comes from a time when all we had at home was 8-Bit consoles or micros and were generally wowed at graphics like these in the arcade.

Oddly iconic, and was just about worth finishing to see President Ronnie enjoy his burger.

3/10  

My list
    オレノナハ エラー ダ

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!