Movie record 2020 edition
  • 125. The Art of Self-defence
    Quite interesting and funny exploration of masculinity. It possibly runs a bit long for the style of film it is but I found it entertaining.
    [7]
  • Outstanding documentary that one, Webbo. It's long, and you do you feel it, but it's entertaining and interesting throughout so I surprised myself by devouring it in one sitting.

Everyone in it was worth listening to except for that one cunt, you'll know who it is within thirty seconds of him speaking. Everyone else is themselves and natural, this fucker is straight up YooToober awfulness personified.

I should have made a list of stuff to watch, a lot here I'd not seen before.

I've started watching this. Kind of a shame it's not a collection of doco trailers for longer videos on each film. I'd listen to longer discussions on each of these.

Is it the guy that's obviously reading from his prewritten notes that make him sound "smart"?
    You should watch the Alien doco Memory. There's a guy in there that is 1000 times worse.

Also thumbs up for Alex Winter bringing up Napster.
  • Oh my god, this guy! Does he talk like this in his day to day? Just relax guy, have a chat, you're not impressing anyone.
  • Annoying voice, YouTube type guy?
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Yeah, looked him up and he's a YouTube insta type person. Can't believe they've used him so much, he's so annoying.
    The Memory guy is still slightly more annoying because he uses big words constantly to make himself look smart.
  • Watched the first half of The Ninth Configuration last night before Mrs wookie looked bored as fuck so I switched it off and let her watch Buffy instead.

I'm gonna watch the second half tonight.

I've really enjoyed it so far, just finished reading the book whilst stuck at the hospital for 10 hours the other night and the dialogue is very true to the novel. Some great lines in there
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • 142. Young Frankenstein - 8
    Possibly the best Mel Brooks and Gene Wilder movie, hilarious and forever rewatchable imo.

143. Contact - 6
    I wish I liked this more than I do as the ending is quite thought-provoking. Its just a shame it drags in places and can be quite dull. One of those long films that feels even longer than it is.

My list

オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Spot on with Frankenstein score, I’d put it equal with Blazing Saddles.

Contact is amazing. It’s one of my most watched films. I love pretty much everything about it. Definite 9 from me. That opening shot as we pan away from earth and go back in time. The tracking shot of young Jodie running through the house that gets mirrored at the dishes. Great cast of actors all round.
  • Young Frankenstein and Blazing Saddles are the very definition of 10s.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Yeah I love Blazing Saddles, I got Silent Movie and High Anxiety from Mel Brooks in my to watch list, never seen those.

I can see why you love Contact, parts of it are spectacular tbf.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I prefer Fronkensteen which is a stonewall 10 but both are amazing
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    also contact is a 9. It does the thing better than the other movie that people on here like.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    b0r1s wrote:
    Contact is amazing. It’s one of my most watched films. I love pretty much everything about it. Definite 9 from me. That opening shot as we pan away from earth and go back in time. The tracking shot of young Jodie running through the house that gets mirrored at the dishes. Great cast of actors all round.

Young Jodi is Jena Malone (Gretchen in Donnie Darko). I need to rewatch Contact. I love bits of it, e.g. those two scenes mentioned and the "ok to go" bit, but I don't think I'd rate it above a 7 or an 8 overall... Certainly nowhere near as good as Interstellar in my opinion.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Disagree... obviously. I think Interstellar is technically leagues ahead of Contact, but I think, for me, it lacks the soul of it. I’ve watched interstellar several times now trying to find the emotion other people experience and, like a lot of Nolan films, I find it too “technical” for me to empathise with the characters.
  • Haven't watched Contact for yonks. Definitely time to rewatch it
  • 127. VFW
    A strong cast of 'that guys' star as 'Nam vets facing off against a drug dealer and his horde of rabid addicts in this entertaining, schlocky survival thriller. 7

128. Miami Vice
    Michael Mann's style rich but substance poor adaptation of the 80s TV show sees Crockett and Tubbs posing as big time drug runners. Pales against the likes of Heat and Collateral. 5
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Miami Vice is the first movie I remember wanting to leave the cinema during. Can't even really remember why I hated it so much.
  • 128. Banff Film Festival - Climbing
    Collection of climbing based shorts. Some really cool stories and beautiful scenery. Some people are stroooong!
    [8]
  • an't even really remember why I hated it so much.
    I think that might be half of it.
    It is such a nothing movie. I know I have seen it a couple of times but cannot remember anything about it other than being bored.
  • I have no plans on going back to it.
  • 130. Black Water: Abyss
    Pretty solid little croc thriller. Well until it blows it right at the end by going for too much when it could have just ended.
    [6]

131. Possession
    WTF
    [9]
  • 131. Possession
    WTF
    [9]

Do go on.
  • I once had Sam Neil tweet at me because I said I had no idea how he got a career after his insane performance in Possession, he told me it was because he bribed a lot of important people.

Good egg is Sam Neil.
  • Aye, that's cool.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Awesome. Did you @ him or just mention his name?
  • Webbins wrote:
    131. Possession
    WTF
    [9]

Do go on.

Umm. Hmmmm. Tempy can probably do a better job than me on this one. But essentially an early 80s divorce film set in divided Berlin that continually descends throughout in unexpected ways and has every actor going at about 200% drama school in a way that probably shouldn't work but it actually does.

• 132. In Search of Darkness
    I watched this in parts because 4 hours but it's a fun glimpse into 80s horror with some good interviews. Shame it wasn't a longer thing as some films were barely talked about. Almost took a star off for that one guy though. Ugh.
    [8]
  • 132. In Search of Darkness
    I watched this in parts because 4 hours but it's a fun glimpse into 80s horror with some good interviews. Shame it wasn't a longer thing as some films were barely talked about. Almost took a star off for that one guy though. Ugh.
    [8]

I have this on the list already! Was planning on watching this week.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • 27. Triple Threat
    Low budget Kung Fu action thingy with that bloke, that other bloke and a third bloke, plus some white guys. Good fights, amusingly bad at times but didn't live up to the potential of the leads. (6)

28. Knight & Day
    Tom Cruise is smarmy. Cameron Diaz is ditzy but sexy in a PG kind of way. The special effects are ropey as fuck. But it was better than i though and l expected it to be utter garbage. (6)

29. As Good As It Gets
    Hadn't seen this in years and i I really enjoyed it all over again. Very 90s but charming, funny and Jack Nicholson. ( 8 )
    Gamertag: gremill
  • jdanielp wrote:
    Awesome. Did you @ him or just mention his name?

Nah, I imagine a lot of celebs have a column that searches their name in tweet deck though.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!