ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I feel sorry for anyone under 36, because they probably saw the wrong gremlins first and the wrong alien first
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • That's a weird assumption, when people know there is a sequel or a series, they tend to go for the earlier one.

Anyway, Gremlins 2!

468mxd.jpg
  • cockbeard wrote:
    I feel sorry for anyone under 36, because they probably saw the wrong gremlins first and the wrong alien first

Alien just in general was spoiled.
    As a kid I have two main memories of Alien.
    1. The Alien 3 toys.
    2. My mum explaining how good Alien was when nobody in the cinema knew what it was. (She was air crew at the time and saw it in Washington DC way, way before it hit UK cinemas)

If there is one film I could reset my memory for and go to a cinema screening clean it would be Alien.

Alien isnt great when you know what is coming and when. Aliens holds up better.
  • My dad used to talk about seeing Alien in the cinema when it came out and it giving him nightmares.
    I was lucky to still see it without it being spoiled when the rating for it dropped from an R18+ to a M15+ (suggested 15 not required so I rented it young) on DVD release. Still one of my all time favourite films.
  • 109. Red Eye
    Peaky blinder gives the lovely Rachel McAdams grief in Wes Craven's pacy airborne thriller. 7

110. Blood Quantum
    The indigenous folk of a First Nations reserve discover immunity to the undead plague in this interesting Canadian set zombie fest. 7
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:

I just can't help myself but I have to refute this. Aliens was never on any kind of level with Alien and even less so now. Alien is Timeless. Aliens is a mid tier 80s action movie.
  • You get loads more aliens in Aliens 2 tho.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Aliens v colonial marines gif.
  • Kow wrote:
    Aliens is a mid tier 80s action movie.

:eyes watching emoji:
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    High tier
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga
    Latest addition to Netflix starring Will Ferrell and Rachel McAdams.
    I really enjoyed this. It's in need of a more disciplined editor and could do with being about 30 minutes shorter but it's a proper love letter to the camp rediculousness of Eurovision. So many cameos from real contestants and the music is fantastic.
    JaJa Ding Dong!
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    LivDiv wrote:

I just can't help myself but I have to refute this. Aliens was never on any kind of level with Alien and even less so now. Alien is Timeless. Aliens is a mid tier 80s action movie.

Speaking truth to power, Kow. Keep fighting the good fight.
  • 111. A Most Violent Year
    Scrupulous but ruthless heating oil firm boss refuses to compromise his ethics in the face of violence from his competitors. Compelling eighties set crime drama with a strong cast. 8

112. Contagion Coronavirus: The Movie
    Eerily prophetic and paranoia inducing batpig turbovirus ensemble movie. Great surfaceatography. 7
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • 46. Star Wars Ep II: Attack of the Clones - 27 June
    Still a bad script and acting. It was watchable unlike the previous film, and was mildly engaging and entertaining from start to finish, so there’s that. It’s amazing how badly the CGi has aged though, in all these Star Wars films.
    Explaining all the politics to the kids though. Ugh.
    [5]
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • The only Star Wars film I couldn't get through.
  • Killer Elite
    Overlooked hitman flick with Jason Statham. DeNiro plays his old buddy, Clive Owen wears a hilarious ’tache as the bad guy. Daft but fun.
  • Webbins wrote:
    109. Red Eye
    Peaky blinder gives the lovely Rachel McAdams grief in Wes Craven's pacy airborne thriller. 7

I watched this recently too. It had been on my list for a while but I totally didn't know it was a Craven. Funny how it kind of goes a bit Scream, like he couldn't help himself

• 117. To Catch A Thief - 7
    One of Hitchcocks lesser films for me, still a good film though. Great setting.

118. Cape Fear (1991) - 7
    Really good remake with some great cameos from the original. Love De Niros final scene.

119. Cape Fear (1962) – 7
    Not sure which I prefer, I saw the remake first which helps that, but this is still well worth a watch. Can’t go wrong with either, or Night of the Hunter which is quite similar and also stars Mitchum.

120. The Hand That Rocks the Cradle - 6
    Silly but enjoyable thriller.

121. Quick Change – 8
    Got a huge soft spot for this film, I loved Bill Murray in this era.

122. As Good As It Gets – 7
    This really is an odd film in some ways, but Jack Nicolson is so captivating I can’t look away whenever he is one screen. One of those films I tend to stick with if I catch it at any point on TV.

123. Cleopatra - 8
    Rex Harrison makes the first half, I think it runs out of steam towards the end, but overall it’s an entertaining few hours of a fascinating time in human history.

124. Stripes - 8
    Another Bill Murray classic for me, pure comfort viewing.

My list
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • 47. King Kong vs. Godzilla (US, 1964) - 30 June
    An odd one, this. I think the Jp original is included in the special features disc, but the US remake/recut is on the main movie disc. It was funny in places and quite comic, but the short takes/cuts and the odd UN news sections and interviews just seemed out of place. And I hate dubs. Mostly entertaining but I think the original would be better. I suspect the transfer/quality is poor as I read a lot of the original cut’s negatives were lost and a lot of it had to be cobbled together. Will watch at some point.
    [5]
  • Jesus, how do you guys get the time to watch so many films?? I'm lucky if I get an hour a day to myself without work or kids and even then I've got to watch what the wife wants
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • I have my kids and wife under control.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I've got used to all films having an extra soundtrack of daddydaddydaddyshowmeshowmeshowmewaaaa**somethingbreaking**inanemusicfromtoyoverandoverandoverpeppapigiseepeppapigpeppapig. That was most of what I heard from Vast of Night at the weekend.
  • Fantastic 4
    The newest one. It was terrible. What a waste. Take an hour to set up the heroes, fail to make use of their powers and then introduce the villain 20 minutes before the end and have an underwhelming "battle".

• The latest F4 is quite the thing.
    Shame because it sounded like it started interesting. It was supposed to be quite dark and focussed primarily on the psychological impact of these teens having their lives changed by getting these powers, particularly Grimm who got turned into a freak while the rest could carry on as normal.
    Sony shit themselves that it wasnt a proper superhero movie and tacked on the villain at the end.
  • I'm a huge F4 fan, grew up with the comics and actually enjoyed the previous Attempts at bringing them to the screen.

I was almost onboard for the first half hour, then it sorta went nowhere.
  • I watched Terminator Genesis today when I couldn't sleep, got 3/4s of the way through before I realised I've seen it before.

It was alreeet, nothing special. Hence the reason I forgot I had seen it
  • 48. Mothra vs. Godzilla - 1 July
    This was better. More flowing, better paced, better production values and acting. Thoroughly enjoyable.
    [6]
  • If I seem harsh with the scores for these films, note that I’m not looking at them as how good they were for their time. If I did, notch the score up by at least a point.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    The latest F4 is quite the thing. Shame because it sounded like it started interesting. It was supposed to be quite dark and focussed primarily on the psychological impact of these teens having their lives changed by getting these powers, particularly Grimm who got turned into a freak while the rest could carry on as normal. Sony shit themselves that it wasnt a proper superhero movie and tacked on the villain at the end.

Yeah, he apparently wanted to go down the Cronenberg body horror type route but I can't imagine a big studio would go for that thing. I reckon you can see glimpses of it in the best bit of the film when the bad guy is going down the corridor in the one shot popping heads. Well I remember something along those lines anyway. It's been a while.
  • Bridge Of Spies

It's a Spielberg spy movie set in the Cold War era starring Tom Hanks and Flop. Of course it's brilliant.
    "Aren't you worried?"
    "Would it help?"

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!