Movie record 2020 edition
  • Ah right. Still, Spirited Away must've had a dub planned I reckon, Princess Mononoke was before that and, whilst maybe not made with a Western release already planned, had what I remember as the first big name actor dub, so they must've been keeping that in mind thereafter I'd thought.

Porco Rosso would've had a FR dub in mind during production I think.
  • I think the Ghibli dubs are all quite strong. Laputa was a little weak but you can tell they put in a lot of effort to do it right. Pretty lucky at the time because I’m sure it would have been easy to do it on the cheap and not get the talent they got.
  • 39. Song of the Sea
    Beautiful little Irish animation film. It’s nice to see representation of different cultures folk stories too.
    [8]
  • 37. Doctor Sleep - 7
    Decent sequel, started really good but lost it a bit in the final third. A bit bloated too at 152 minutes.

My list

オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • There’s a director’s cut that adds an extra 25mins on.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Sounds like retro is gonna get right on that :P
  • 45. It Follows
    Quality, super creepy, 'is it really about the AIDS?', stalkahorror. Loved it. 9
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • 46. I, Tonya
    Effective tragicomic account of Tonya Harding and the Nancy Kerrigan kneecapping. 8
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Has Cliff's 'Devil Woman' on the soundtrack, add another mark you miser.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Haha, the soundtrack was a highlight, Cliff notwithstanding.
  • 47. The Girl On The Third Floor
    CM Punk wrestles with renovating a haunted house in scare free horror. 6
  • Book Smart

Ah, the coming of age high scool comedy drama. What a spectacularly hit and miss sub-genre. I tend to find this sort of thing quite irritating unless they're well above average; I want to like them but I get the grump quite easily while watching (especially if there's more comedy than drama). Thankfully this was probably best in class from the past half decade at least. Quality film, the two leads are excellent. [8].
  • Dubs
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    46.  Parasite - I didn't expect to love it but I did expect more surprise as the only thing I'd read was not to read anything about it.  Not the film's fault, of course, and I was happy watching it play out once I grasped what it was.  Gentle amusement's about right but I'm still glad I saw it on the big screen because the man can point a camera good.  [7]

47.  Greetings - I saw De Niro and De Palma and clicked.  While De Niro's almost always interesting to watch, and the conspiracy nut has his moments, most of the film failed to land.  I did like the final scene but overall there were far more misses than hits.  [3]
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Webbins wrote:
    47. The Girl On The Third Floor
    CM Punk wrestles with renovating a haunted house in scare free horror. 6

ICWUDT
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Book Smart

Ah, the coming of age high scool comedy drama. What a spectacularly hit and miss sub-genre. I tend to find this sort of thing quite irritating unless they're well above average; I want to like them but I get the grump quite easily while watching (especially if there's more comedy than drama). Thankfully this was probably best in class from the past half decade at least. Quality film, the two leads are excellent. [8].

Also I loved this movie. Best since Superbad.
  • Is it as good as Superbad? Cos I loved that.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • 38. Murder By Death - 6
    Old dark house movie written by Neil Simon with a stellar cast that I don't enjoy anywhere near as much as I wish I did. By no means bad though, and well worth a watch if your into the genre.

My list
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • The Sisters Brothers

Enjoyable black comedy western that hits a sweet spot between gritty and knockabout. The brutality is tempered by the chemistry between Phoenix and Reilly. It's an odd mix, but one that works. A decent send off for Rutger Hauer too. [8]
  • Frozen 2

Not as good as the first but contains one song done in the style of a 80’s/90’s Rock power ballad that had me laughing so much.
    My boys loved it all.

A Beautiful Day In The Neighbourhood

Oh Mr Hanks, can you please give me a hug.
    I sat watching whilst hugging my sons teddy and I cried my eyes out. It’s wonderful
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    A Beautiful Day In The Neighbourhood Oh Mr Hanks, can you please give me a hug. I sat watching whilst hugging my sons teddy and I cried my eyes out. It’s wonderful

Won't you be my neighbour?
  • Mr Rogers is my new idol
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Fighting With My Family

Quality wrasslin' family drama.  You've seen it all before in numerous guises, but this one felt a little warmer around the heart than most.  I think I've seen one full wrestling match in my life (someone chucked someone off a metal cage; was hand picked for me as a legendary match), but my lack of interest had no bearing on my enjoyment.  Or maybe it helped?  Vaughan was excellent as the typical 'irascible taskmaster full of quips' type, and Mike from Spaced was great too (forgotten his name at present). [8]

Spoiler:
  • Nick Frost. I liked it (7), excellent cast and heartwarming. I'm not familiar with the wrestling much, outside of seeing Giant Haystacks and Kendo Nagasaki at an East Leeds leisure centre many moons ago. Plus Florence Pugh be still my beating heart.
  • Pugh is great isn't she? Nick Frost is a scene stealer every time, the bit in his office where hes asking the wrestler what his opponant can do to him cracks me up every time. And it's got The Rock in it, playing The Rock! How can you not like that? Its got some extre weight for me, because I was actually there when the real Paige made her debut in WWE.

The film correctly glosses over her time in NXT, but I did feel that for accuracys sake there should have been a bit a few days before her debut that saw her performing at Axxess with a devastatingly handsome blonde English guy in the front row chanting for her but don't let that distract you from the fact that in 1998, The Undertaker threw Mankind off Hell In A Cell, and plummeted 16 ft through an announcer's table
  • Color Out Of Space

Can't really tell if its a superb tale of Lovecraftian Cosmic Horror or B Movie level trash. I think I enjoyed it. Nic Cage does a nice toned down performance before going full Nic Cage toward the end.
  • 39. True Story - 5
    Jonah Hill and James Franco are great but it's just a bit dull tbh.

My list
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    22. Greed

Intriguing if scattershot satirical examination of fast-fashion and the extremes of inequality.

[7]
  • 48. Thunder Road
    Incredibly touching comedic melodrama with a great central performance by Jim Cummings. 9
  • Webbins wrote:
    46. I, Tonya
    Effective tragicomic account of Tonya Harding and the Nancy Kerrigan kneecapping. 8
    Has Cliff's 'Devil Woman' on the soundtrack, add another mark you miser.

I thought on this further (the film, not Cliff). Revised to an 8. If a film plays on your mind in the days following, it's worthy of more.
  • Webbins wrote:
    48. Thunder Road Incredibly touching comedic melodrama with a great central performance by Jim Cummings. 9

Written, directed, edited, produced, main actored etc etc etc by the one guy. I liked it too. I thought he wrote a good script.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!