Movie record 2020 edition
  • The Daddy wrote:
    12. Bait. Five minutes in I thought it wasn’t for me, but then found it strangely mesmerising.

The Australian shark movie?
  • 24. The Babysitter
    Tongue in cheek, hugely implausible but fun, teen slasher. 6
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Queen
    Bollywood flick where a woman who's abandoned on her wedding day decides to embark on the European honeymoon alone and learns a valuable lesson about being herself. Lacks amazing dance numbers.
  • The Daddy wrote:
    12. Bait. Five minutes in I thought it wasn’t for me, but then found it strangely mesmerising.

The Australian shark movie?

Seemed more like a Cornish fisherman film, but maybe I just missed the point.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • I need to finish watching bait, was preoccupied when starting and thought I should wait until I could give it my full attention; Kermode has it as his film of the decade I think.
  • Is that on a streaming site yet?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    Alright off we go -

1. Knives Out - superlative Agatha Christiesque film. Also Last Jedi was good ya plebs. [9]

Finally up and running

2. 1917 - straightforward as it comes, hell, that's the narrative thrust, but impressive and exhilarating. Won't linger, but a good time. Will be a forgotten Best Oscar winner like Crash. [7]

3. Marriage Story - Noah Baumbach has yet to make a movie I haven't swooned over. Feels like what Woody Allen could have made had he not been creepy. Adam Driver remains GOAT. [9]

4. Uncut Gems - I genuinely struggled at parts - how can a door not opening be so stressful? But it's incredible, and to describe Sandler as shouting his way through the film is an absolute disservice. Nasty genre making that the Academy is still too afraid to touch. [8]
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Is that on a streaming site yet?

I got a 30 (maybe 60?) day BFI player trial for 90p and it's on there; did it through Amazon Prime Video.
  • Cheers I'll do that if the deal's still on.
  • Dubs
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    24.  Collateral - Love a good "one crazy night" film and this is damn fine except for that Audioslave song.  The principals are all excellent, Cruise a perfect fit for a detached, philosophising psycho.  [8]

25.  Holy Motors - I tend to struggle with this kind of thing, am a dummy.  The visuals and Lavant's performance sustained me well enough but some segments dragged.  Seeing an erect penis in a film was novel.  [5]

26.  Laura - Watched for the Twin Peaks connections ie. Waldo Lydecker, a dead Laura and peoples' idealised images of her.  It's a decent whodunnit where whodunnit doesn't matter much, somewhat lacking in visual flair.  [6]

27.  New York, New York - Scorsese successfully marries a quite grounded love story with the gorgeous production design of a 40's musical.  The fantastical elements serve to intensify the tougher reality and vice versa.  Bob's great as ever and Liza's an absolute knockout, especially while channeling her mama, among others, in the climactic Happy Endings sequence.  Hats off to the hair and wardrobe folk.  [9]

28.  Meek's Cutoff - Beautiful cinematography with composition evoking Old West portraits and photographs.  I found it hard to get into, it felt more like a documentary of these people's lives, light on drama.  [6]

29.  King of New York - As enjoyable as Larry is, I think I'd have preferred it if more time was given to Walken's character and less to the cops, shootouts and car chases.  [5]

30.  First A Girl - 1935 gender swap musical comedy with Jessie Matthews.  The choreography's a bit tame but it's supported by some inventive staging and direction, with standout sequences involving mirrored floors and crowds of dancers flipping genders.  Similarly, some of the comedy is dated but Matthews is charming enough to carry it off.  The old folk in the theatre were having a whale of a time.  [7]

31.  Uncut Gems - Obvious comparison but I love Good Time and here Sandler has a similar energy to Pattinson's slippery crook.  He is built exclusively for this strange underworld, his mind moving a mile a minute and we just have to try and keep up.  That restlessness borders on unpleasantly stressful during some of the longer LOUD NOISES scenes but that's probably the point.  There's at least a few moments of tragi-comedy to provide a release.  [8]
  • Uncut Gems

Unbelievable good performance from Adam Sandler. Really stressful watching but had to do it in three parts thanks to kids interrupting. Enjoyed it but imagine it’ll have more impact in one sitting than broken up like I did it
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • 1917. Brilliantly made and gorgeous to look at, with great performances to boot. There's not much to it, but what it does do it does superbly. 8.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Harsh on Laura imo Dubs, stone cold classic.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    4. 1917 - A very simple story shot very well. Didn't live up to the hype. [7]
  • 24. The Big Short
    I still kind of didn't get what exactly happened but it was a fairly well told story. Kinda hate that filmmaking style though.
    [7]

25. Terrified
    Creepiness ruined by LOUD NOISES and LOUD SOUNDTRACK. Also poor characterisation. A bit of a shame. Made me jump though.
    [6]
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    12. The Rhythm Section

Lively and atmospheric if generally somewhat implausible anti-terror amateur assassin revenge thriller.

[7]

13. Uncut Gems

Uncomfortably intense, sporadically amusing but often incomprehensible financial risk and personal breakdown drama.

[7]
  • 22. 40 Year Old Virgin - 7
    Was one of the funnier films I'd seen in awhile when it came out, and it still stands up well. Seth Rogan steals quite a few scenes, it's no wonder he went on to become a star in his own right.

23. Cliffhanger - 7
    Got a real soft spot for this. I quite enjoyed Stallone's early 90s output, and this was one of the better ones. Solid pop corn action flick.

My list
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • 25. The Crazies (2010)
    Reasonably effective Romero remake. Toxin leak turns Iowa residents into batshit mentals. 6
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2

• 23. Cliffhanger - 7
    Got a real soft spot for this. I quite enjoyed Stallone's early 90s output, and this was one of the better ones. Solid pop corn action flick.

That's harsh on Cliffhanger imo, I'd give it 9/10, 8 at least, it's just pure action from start to finish, cast are all good, great theme and setting and is just unapologetically 90s action, like Speed. I watched it again last year and it was brill.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    3. Terminator - Tampon of Fate (or whatever)
    Seriously, female dialogue written by committee is even worse than written by a shit man. Terminator likes soft furnishings, fuck off [5]

edit: also stop wringing the everloving shit out of "I'll be back", it's dead dave, everybody, everybodys dead, dave dead everybody, everybody is dave dead, twats
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Webbins wrote:
    25. The Crazies (2010)
    Reasonably effective Romero remake. Toxin leak turns Iowa residents into batshit mentals. 6

Have you watched The Town That Dreaded Sundown remake? I think it's one of the few good modern remakes.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    4. Last Christmas 
    Surprisingly enjoyable, wltm the GoT girl, Brixton and Covent Garden both look lovely, hard to believe london tourist board not involved [7]
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • The Farewell
    A grandmother is lied to about her terminal cancer diagnosis in this bittersweet family drama. Even-handedly deals its sentiment cards, and remains very sweet throughout.

The Lighthouse
    "Two men go crazy in an isolated lighthouse" should be a prompt, not a whole plot. Loved how it was shot, appreciated how it was acted, disappointed with how it was written. A real shame.
  • 26. Snowpiercer
    Class clash on the eternally engined express. Likeable but I expected more. 6
  • Webbins wrote:
    25. The Crazies (2010)

Have you watched The Town That Dreaded Sundown remake? I think it's one of the few good modern remakes.

No, neither the remake nor the OG. I shall bear it in mind.
  • nick_md wrote:

23. Cliffhanger - 7

That's harsh on Cliffhanger imo, I'd give it 9/10, 8 at least, it's just pure action from start to finish, cast are all good, great theme and setting and is just unapologetically 90s action, like Speed. I watched it again last year and it was brill.

You might be right, I was thinking an 8. It is a fun movie.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • cockbeard wrote:
    3. Terminator - Tampon of Fate (or whatever)
    Seriously, female dialogue written by committee is even worse than written by a shit man. Terminator likes soft furnishings, fuck off [5]

edit: also stop wringing the everloving shit out of "I'll be back", it's dead dave, everybody, everybodys dead, dave dead everybody, everybody is dave dead, twats

Agreed. It's shocking how poor it's got now. Was by far the worst film I saw at the cinema last year.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Webbins wrote:
    Webbins wrote:
    25. The Crazies (2010)

No, neither the remake nor the OG. I shall bear it in mind.

I never actually watched the original but I quite enjoyed the new one.
  • 26. Ashburn Waters
    Low low low budget Aussie horror film that I won tickets too. Glad I didn't pay for it. Wasn't all bad but needed to learn the "less is more" technique for its monster.
    [4]

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!