Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    haha
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message

This one, because probably best movie evar [12]
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    16. Parasite

Classy social drama which starts brilliantly but goes a little over the top.

[8]
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    17. Birds of Prey

Better than Suicide Squad but a similarly messy confection of action and music.

[5]
  • 4. The Lighthouse - 8th Feb
    The picture format was weird at first but works. Enjoyed it mostly, but found my mind wandering at points and I wasn’t sure what the film was trying to be. It’s somewhere between no-genre-or-story art film and an actual mystery or horror film. So felt a bit lost in itself.

Having said that, it’s beautifully shot, has some great eerie moments and good performances. There’s enough strangeness and intrigue here to enjoy and does warrant a viewing. Decent enough.
    [8]
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • @jdanielp
    That movie looks like someone threw up a birthday cake onto a Kajagoogoo picture disc.

• hylian_elf wrote:
    4. The Lighthouse - 8th Feb
    The picture format was weird at first but works. Enjoyed it mostly, but found my mind wandering at points and I wasn’t sure what the film was trying to be. It’s somewhere between no-genre-or-story art film and an actual mystery or horror film. So felt a bit lost in itself.

Having said that, it’s beautifully shot, has some great eerie moments and good performances. There’s enough strangeness and intrigue here to enjoy and does warrant a viewing. Decent enough.
    [8]
    Spoiler:
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    6. Fish Story
    I should be bored of it by now, but nope, it's still probably the best power ranger/rockumentary/apocalypse movie I've ever watched. My 12 above was silly [11.5]
  • Is it like guitar wolf movie Wild Zero?
  • LivDiv wrote:
    hylian_elf wrote:
    4. The Lighthouse - 8th Feb

[8]
    Spoiler:

Neat. That's a good reading of it. I should do some more reading myself.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Is it like guitar wolf movie Wild Zero?

Just watched a trailer, that looks brilliant. but then I love that whole Japs do Troma style B-movies (Vampire Girl vs Zombie Girl, One Cut of the Dead, Attack Girl Swim Team etc. At the moment I rank Fish Story as slightly above that, but definitely cut from similar cloth
  • @Liv; wow, good one. That’s a good interpretation, was a bit lost on me. As I said, I found my mind wandering a bit through the film so didn’t grasp some of it.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • cockbeard wrote:
    Is it like guitar wolf movie Wild Zero?

Just watched a trailer, that looks brilliant. but then I love that whole Japs do Troma style B-movies (Vampire Girl vs Zombie Girl, One Cut of the Dead, Attack Girl Swim Team etc. At the moment I rank Fish Story as slightly above that, but definitely cut from similar cloth

It popped up on TV back in the day when tv showed interesting movies. I remember enjoying it as a teen.
    I'll check out Fish Story.

One Cut of the Dead is high on my list but I can't get the file I got to work properly. Through the TV the subs don't work and on the Xbox the audio doesn't work.... Can't get it legit anywhere either.
  • 33. Birds of Prey
    Pretty fun and bright and colourful. Robbie does a great job in the role but the character seems to mellow as the movie goes along. It's also lacking some story drive overall. Plus too many licensed songs again DC.
    [6]
  • Dubs
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    35.  Laputa: Castle in the Sky (rewatch) - Looks as great as you'd expect but it's a more straightforward Ghibli, largely concerned with their brand of windswept adventure which I grew tired of about two thirds in.  [6]

36.  The Killing - Really enjoyed this, I love Hayden and could listen to him rattling off hard-boiled dialogue in dark rooms all day.  Not that I don't appreciate the tight eighty-four minutes.  [8]
  • One of the few kubs I ain't seen, must rectify.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    7. Face

Having posted the soundtrack in the Britpop thread I decided to watch this again. Still so bloody good, proper document of it's time, even if the politics are a touch heavy handed. Some really well done setpieces and really well fulled characters, not to mention a few nice easter eggs that don't distract too much [9]

Phil Davis take a bow son "yeah granted it's early, but my son don;t know that, being as he's only seven months old and doesn't know how tell the fucking time", quotable throughout, oh yeah and Lena Heady just doing something special and lovely
  • 34. Ladybird
    Similar to Little Women in that it is completely and utterly excellent at times but not quite all the time. Very very good and well put together in how it moves through time.
    [9]
  • 35. Sonic
    Unlike Pikachu this was more of a straight up average kids film instead of a good film made mostly for kids. Not terrible but not worth paying money for.
    [4]
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    8. Shallow Grave

Watching straight after (an admittedly poor image quality) Face and it's difficult to believe that this is the older film. So many of Boyle's shots have been reused and become a Hollywood staple these days, that as a piece of cinema this seems really very current. Watching alongside Face and again I was transported to that time, cash is king and everyone has loads of it, nostalgia isn;t always terrible [9]
  • Dubs
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    37.  Girl Crazy (1943) - Nice to see Mickey doing the chasing for a change.  Judy gets a more natural role as a brassy young woman, laughing off his advances, rather than having to play another lovelorn little girl.  The car scenes were the standout for me, especially "Could You Use Me", but the non-musical parts could've used more gags what with the plot being basically irrelevant.  [7]

38.  Female Prisoner #701: Scorpion - Enough flair on display to hold the attention but I found little gratification in the revenge arc.  Will press on with the series.  [5]
  • 35. Sonic
    Unlike Pikachu this was more of a straight up average kids film instead of a good film made mostly for kids. Not terrible but not worth paying money for.
    [4]

I’ve heard it’s a great return to form with a classic 90’s level comedic performance from Jim Carrey, is that true?
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • The Breadwinner
    Beautiful but heartbreaking animation about a young girl living in Taliban-ruled Kabul who poses as a boy in order to help provide for her family. Lacks a bit of resolution by the end but it's difficult to mind.
  • PARASITE

Bong-Joon Ho done it again, the daddy returns to do a fillum that's... so metaphorical. For me it sits slightly under Memories of Murder because... well, its hard to put into words. Parasite is quite laden with artifice. This isn't a bad thing, but when I think of my favourite films, no matter how outlandish they are in setting or premise they seem burdened by a weight of the real, which Parasite avoids by being vey plot driven. Everything is there to service the plot, so it's a really tight 2hrs+ but that sort of drags it down again to me in that it lacks the kind of detailing Bong-Joon Ho crammed into MoM. It's... so metaphorical, but is also perhaps a bit heavy handed with that. It's nice to see his particular brand ofmainstream South Korean tone-hopping be so well lauded though, but when I think about the two films hand in hand, entire scenes in MoM are seared into my brain and Parasite didn't have the same revelatory impact of seeing a different approach to film making and storytelling. Song Kang-Ho is an utter delight in both films however, and I appreciated Bong Jon-ho sticking with his tableau style, frequently giving us three focal points in any one scene (though again, nothing hit quite as hard as the Crime Scene Investigations or the Club Drinking scene in MoM).

A very solid 4 stars.

Nice to actually see a film again too, I feel so busy these days that I dunno how to fit films in.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    18. Underwater

Underwhelming disaster/horror mashup that does at least start and end reasonably well.

[5]
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    19. Sonic the Hedgehog

Unremarkable video game adaptation which isn't the car crash it could have been.

[5]
  • Dubs
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    39.  Only Yesterday - I was initially worried that the voice over would be too on-the-nose but it soon felt natural, punctuating some really touching, well-observed slices of life.  Loved the fading watercolours of her memory and how the fantastical elements were reserved for moments of high emotion but no way in hell are bananas the king of fruits.  [8]

40.  Female Prisoner Scorpion: Jailhouse 41 - Feels much more assured than the first film.  It's bold style, a sort of manga/spaghetti western nightmare, now permeates every scene and is taken to new heights in a few dazzling sequences which are thrilling in and of themselves.  [7]
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    9. Eagleeye

What the hell was that, action movies need more action, but I just couldn't get past the "sonic trigger", don;t they realise that white noise contains all frequencies, so that explosive is liable to go off at any time at all [5]

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!