Just completed
  • I opted for the standard edition of Guac 2, which I'll probably play after I've given up on completed Cadence of Hyrule.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Good man
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I'm trying to decide if I'm chicken
  • Cadence of Hyrule. Hugely accessible roguelike (after the first hour humps you to death). Quality game.
  • RDRII. Delighted to have passed the finishing line with this one. Fuck me it was long.
  • Good work, you may now pour yourself some sippin' whiskey.
  • I'm celebrating with copious amounts of dry roasted peanuts.
  • Was thinking about buying something cheap to quickly play through earlier, but in the end decided to go back to the MD Classics and run through Gunstar Heroes.

It's not one I actually had on the MD back then, but I've played through it once before on emulation. The level design and throwing stuff about is great, and I appreciate the variety in all the many bosses. But it's just a bit messy. The controls aren't quite sharp enough and the jump is too weedy. It's hard to see what's going on some of the time or what you're supposed to be doing. And the difficulty is all over the place.

It's always difficult to judge these old games when you're trying to rush through them, but I think even if I'd played it in its original form it still wouldn't be one of my favourite Treasure games. Then again, even a mid-tier Treasure game is still a cut above most others.
  • I'd put it mid-tier too. Well designed, fun to play and technically impressive but not quite the platinum level 16-bit experience it's often pegged as, imo, at least not consistently (mines/Seven Force and board game stages are extremely strong).
  • I think mid tier is harsh. It's still my favourite ever game! Sure that's nostalgia tinged but the weapon merging mechanics, graphics that still stand up today, memorable bosses, being easily accessible and couch two player to boot, it was offering a lot more than most shooters in 1993
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Only mid-tier within Treasure's catalogue. For me it's got Guardian Heroes, Headdy, Bangai-0, Astro Boy and the Punishments to look up to. I suspect Radiant Silvergun, Ikargua and Gradius V would be expected in this paragraph too.

Unless Rocket Knight Adventures counts as a platform shooter thanks to Sparkster's projectile attack I'm struggling to think of a better Megadrive run 'n gun type though, so I'm not knocking it. It's a 91% Mega Game, just not quite the worldie it tends to be viewed as imo.
  • Yeah, mid-tier Treasure is still pretty damn good from my perspective. It's just not up there with the Headdys and Astro Boys, but really it only needs some sharper controls/movement and more even pacing/difficulty.
  • Rage 2.

Probably a good 30+ hrs on this, because I pootled around too much clearing out bandit bases and what not.  Whilst the attention to detail they lavished on the gunplay makes for many a pleasing battle (the marvellous rat-a-tat-tat of machine gun fire on armoured foes, the lovely plop sound their heads make upon exploding when exposed to bullet fire) that same effort isn't applied to the open world design at all. The wasteland is dead. Not in a 'ooooo it's so desolate and atmospheric' type of dead, just a barren, lifeless, boring map that's devoid of life or any interesting challenges.

This wouldn't be a total disaster if the vehicles you get to drive across this dust bowl were fun to ride. But they are the complete opposite of that. There's a dizzying array of them, from dragsters and monster trucks to tanks and motorbikes. And they all share one handling characteristic. You feel like you're strapped on top of a dead ostrich which you're desperately trying to make turn a corner by yanking on it's rein.  Give it up mate, it's dead.

What's the point of including giant mutant behemoths if all it takes to defeat them is a 'fire on this flashing weakpoint' mechanic? Why not add a fun limb dismemberment strategy or you know something we haven't seen before in a million games already? And if you're going to include quest giving npcs, why not give me something other than mundane 'kill everyone over there' quests?  I know this is a shooter, but there's no sense of being in a world where anything matters or gives you a reason to care. 

If I'm being harsh it's because with a little extra thought and creativity, this could have been something very special.  As it is, this is just another brain dead shooter. 

6 non-returning wingsticks out of 10.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Gorogoa (PC)

Excellent little puzzler.  Nothing to not like really - nice ideas, beautifully executed.  A solid [9].
  • 16:Shadow of the Tomb Raider Xbox One - 7/10
    Last of the Trilogy and I’ve gotta say though I didn’t love it at first and thought it a weak end I restarted it and thoroughly enjoyed it. Helped that it’s absolutely beautiful. For long stretches the best looking game I’ve seen. Stunning. Amazing trilogy of games though rather sad they may be the last after not so amazing figures. Great Tombs, side quests and fun if over complicated stories. Great game.

17:Ghost Recon - Wildlands Xbox One - 7/10
    Great game, great location, great variety, aged a bit now but still great. Spoiled by being just a little bit lengthy, the main storyline takes just far too long, of course it’s great to have so much to do and lots of DLC etc but for me too much of a good thing turned bad. Also, the driving model SUCKED!
  • My (first) play-through of the story of Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order. I played as Captain Marvel, with a team of Black Widow, Scarlet Witch, and Gomora. As I was playing through, I kept thinking to myself, “Ooh, I want to do a GotG run. And a Defenders run. And an Avengers run. And an X-Men run. And a... and a... and a...”

As well as the story, there are a bunch of challenges to play through, and it seems that’s were you really open up the unlocks to upgrade the characters. I finished with the other three on Level 40, and a level 47 Captain Marvel. It’ll be tempting to have her on the team in future play-throughs (plays-through?) to assist, but probably not; it’ll be rare to not find four characters to make a ‘neat’ team.

As for the story, it’s a joyful romp that takes you through a whole bunch of familiar loci. The plot is basic (get the Infinity Stones before the Black Order collect them for Thanos) but the script and voice acting pop, and as publisher, Nintendo have obviously let Team Ninja in on some of the magic of how to get great graphics out of the Switch.

I’ve thoroughly enjoyed my weekend with it, and it’s rekindled my desire to watch the Defenders stuff on Netflix. I got stuck on Luke Cage previously, but I’m now three or four episodes in.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Gimme an hour count on run 1.
  • That’s not something I ever keep track of, I’m afraid. My mate keeps asking me how many hours it took me to build any given Lego model. I have no idea.

My best guess would be somewhere between ten and fifteen hours.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Ok that seems like it's firmly in Diablo town.
  • Forget it H, it’s Diablo Town
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Stay the fuck away from my nose.
  • Verecocha wrote:
    16:Shadow of the Tomb Raider Xbox One - 7/10
    Last of the Trilogy and I’ve gotta say though I didn’t love it at first and thought it a weak end I restarted it and thoroughly enjoyed it. Helped that it’s absolutely beautiful. For long stretches the best looking game I’ve seen. Stunning. Amazing trilogy of games though rather sad they may be the last after not so amazing figures. Great Tombs, side quests and fun if over complicated stories. Great game.

Just finished this myself. Can't say I really enjoyed it and only really finished it as wanted to see the trilogy out.

The first two were definitely better, I remember enjoying them a lot more. It does look great I'll give you that, but damn some (most really) of the voice acting sucked, the story was bizarre and over complicated and there was a lot of busywork.

I'd probs go a 6
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • MattyJ wrote:
    Verecocha wrote:

Just finished this myself. Can't say I really enjoyed it and only really finished it as wanted to see the trilogy out.

The first two were definitely better, I remember enjoying them a lot more. It does look great I'll give you that, but damn some (most really) of the voice acting sucked, the story was bizarre and over complicated and there was a lot of busywork.

I'd probs go a 6

To be fair I can totally see where you’re coming from, that’s why it lost me the first time and maybe something just tickled me on that second attempt? Can’t think of anything beyond TR and Uncharted in the Dr Jones type Genre at the mo which is sad.
  • Verecocha wrote:
    MattyJ wrote:
    Verecocha wrote:

I'd probs go a 6

To be fair I can totally see where you’re coming from, that’s why it lost me the first time and maybe something just tickled me on that second attempt? Can’t think of anything beyond TR and Uncharted in the Dr Jones type Genre at the mo which is sad.

Yeah would love something else similar... With TR1 and 2 they almost hit the heights of uncharted for me but playing Lost Legacy and then this just shows a huge gulf between the two titles. Lost Legacy is just a superb game in comparison
  • Meanwhile I finished Inside... Wtf
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Completed Celeste last night, finally. Had a lot of help from B though, as I wasn't sure I could do it. Last two worlds just didn't live up to everything before, and it was making me angry a lot. Also felt the little bits of text and story were weaker towards the end. Oddly enough, I really liked some level design decisions, I just couldn't get used to the mechanics.
    Good game, and will probably check out the DLC once it arrives. Part of me wants to do strawberries as some of the earlier levels are really good and I felt like I only started to get a grip on everything by the third world.
    Spoiler:

Still, it's worth a look and I'm really happy this got the attention it did. The mental health stuff didn't always work for me personally, but it was important to a lot of people going by internet comments, so I guess they did a good job.
    Also including assist mode was a good move, I didn't use it myself, but again, it seems to have opened up the game to more players.

The music though. It was getting so much praise, and starting out I didn't really feel it. But funnily enough, during the bits I got most frustrated with the game, I found myself humming along to the tune. This is something I never do, I can't even sing along to music. So that's definitely something.
  • Congrats. Didn't know there's dlc on the way, chuffed with that.
  • Oh wait I did know this, not up for that though.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    I didn't know it was extra hard, not for me then. Just saw an update on Twitter that it's not long now, and you'll unlock the DLC when you've completed chapter 8 A side. Which is not part of the main game (run till credits roll).

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!