Just completed
  • I'm interested in what you thought the second player added tiger.

I got the trophy for having the same companion and I loved the game but I'm not sure it added much to my play through
    The Forum Herald™
  • I quite enjoyed it, but I've never understood a) what all the fuss is about, or b) how those NPCs affected anyone's experience as I can't recall any interaction, just some extra prancing about.  Are we still spoilering this?..........They may as well have been AI, and the fact that they weren't made no difference to me past thinking 'that's pretty cool'.  I'm not knocking anyone's love of the game, but I don't get why the companionship in particular was such a biblical wow.  Am I even remembering it correctly, that the gamertags in the credits were a reveal of sorts?

If only you could talk to these creatures, then perhaps you could make friends with them or form alliances...Now that would be interesting, but as it is you can't even climb up each other's scarves to reach higher ledges.
  • Pageturn.  It's not just me then.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    When moot disagrees with elf is one of those rare moments that I can agree with moot
  • Well...
    Spoiler:

Anyway, I had an excellent time. It's not biblical but it's an enjoyable experience for sure. Definitely not GOTY material but a solid game.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    When moot disagrees with elf is one of those rare moments that I can agree with moot

Sometimes we just do it force you into an opinion.  In this instance we'd already agreed to disagree.
  • Anyway, I had an excellent time. It's not biblical but it's an enjoyable experience for sure. Definitely not GOTY material but a solid game.

Didn't mean to imply biblical for you, but I'd imagine it wouldn't sit far behind [that bit in Final Fantasy VII] if they got people in for a Top 100 That-Bit-When Videogame Moments on Channel 4.
  • It was biblical for me. Well. Maybe. I don't know what something being biblical actually means. 

But yeah. Companionship. A journey together.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris

Really enjoyed that, and I didn't expect to. Some really neat puzzles, doesn't outstay it's welcome and there's challenges to add a bit of life if you want to carry on once the story is done. The bosses were pretty cool too.

Would love to try co-op, as I believe the puzzles change depending on player numbers and it looks like it could be a laugh.
  • I played one of the earlier Iso ones co op and yep, it was fun.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Rime

It's a ten from me. It's clearly taken some inspiration from other games but there's a lot of actual game in there. The sound track is brilliant, the game play is so good. There's virtually no sign posting, tutorials, prompts and your free to explore and yet it leads you along without feeling lost. Loved the graphics and there's real feeling and character to it.

By the end it's fairly obvious where it's going if you hadn't guess early doors anyway but it's a very lovely thing indeed. I don't want to be to specific for fear of spoiling it for others.
    The Forum Herald™
  • I really like the look of Rime.
  • Then you should really give it a go. It's worth every penny and I think this sort of thing should be encouraged.
    The Forum Herald™
  • It would be a crime not to find time for Rime.
  • I'ma buy it later.
  • No I won't, I need to be good with my money.

Have £175 of cex vouchers so I'll check local cex periodically in case they have it
  • Is Rime quite short? I'm looking for something to dip in and out of soon.
  • HLTB pegs it as slightly longer than that.
  • Gamermike wrote:
    Is Rime quite short? I'm looking for something to dip in and out of soon.

It's reasonably short.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    What Remains of Edith Finch

The pinnacle of walking simulation

[9]

Spent all morning re-listening to The Unfinished Swan soundtrack as an aside.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Oh Edith has a bit of a non-plussed ending that kind of spoils it that's all.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I couldn't figure out if I was coming out of a cock or a womb.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    It all looks the same.
  • Just finish it too. It really is sublime. Full of great incidental detail and such an emotional rollercoaster. Lewis was the best. Easily.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Volume (PS4)

I was a bit fan of Thomas Was Alone, both in terms of narrative & simple gameplay - but this was just a bit shit.

The narrative was just boring.  Loads of meta nonsense, none of which grabbed my attention enough to really listen.  (I read some other reviews that seemed to say it was OK - but meh.)

And the gameplay was just a bit boring too.  Some fun gadgets but not enough variety in the 100 levels, and new stuff introduced at such a slow pace, and rarely mixed.  (You can only hold one gadget at a time, and rarely even have the choice of more than one.)  Slightly more interesting by the end of it, but I'd only say about 5 of the levels were actually "fun".  Checkpointing was too easy, aesthitics a bit too bland, and then annoyances that if there's an audio snippet when you interact with something it reloads the whole snippet - really poor way to handle it, leaving snippets effectively looping if you're interacting with lots of stuff.

Levels loaded fast at least - but the whole game loads with a screen saying "we're really proud of this game, please (advertise it for us and) stream it so all your mates can see".  Fuck off.  There's little to be proud of here.  The AI was literally the same as what me and Lazy Gunn hacked together for the pirate game a few years ago - i.e. utterly unintelligent.

So yeah, grrr.  Only a few hours, but I think i'm going [4] despite sevens and eights in mags.  I do not comprehend their generosity of marking.
  • You really did just buy anything and everything didn't you?
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Just finish it too. It really is sublime. Full of great incidental detail and such an emotional rollercoaster. Lewis was the best. Easily.

RPS did an article solely on that bit a few days back.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/06/01/what-remains-of-edith-finch-cannery-story/

I heard an advert for the game while listening to a podcast this week that described it as "lovecraftian". Just a bit lazy there.
  • Cheers. Just read half the article. Will finish in morning.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!