Just completed
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I'm kind of disappointed they didn't keep the original grinning cherub design for the clockwork soldiers.
  • It feels off for one that enemies never recover from being knocked out

Worth it for the 'Aw, someone's not feeling well'. There were about 40 people per level not feeling well by the end of each of my missions.

Finished it yesterday myself. I agree with everything you said, plays amazing, dire script and delivery for the most part. The paintings were also the most inspiring thing for me, I wanted to fight that Moth King so bad.

Think I've got a murder monster run in me at some stage, dispatching people never got old.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Paper Mario Colour Splash and by extension, the WiiU

100% completion on Colour Splash which, let me tell you, is an absolute fud with the random roshambo temples. So much to admire with the game and some great fun puzzles, but completely done over with rotten combat. Yet it's so fucking funny that I want to forgive it for that. Infuriatingly fun. It's miles better than that Sticker Star pish so if that was in your way, give it a shot. Getting 100% colourization on every level is FUCKING CATHARTIC.

With that, it's time for the WiiU to move upstairs to the game room. About to pack the Wii away, and this shall take the place next to the PS3 at the HDTV. The crt always has Super Famicom and N64 hooked up, but rotates with others.

Cya WiiU
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    It feels off for one that enemies never recover from being knocked out
    Worth it for the 'Aw, someone's not feeling well'. There were about 40 people per level not feeling well by the end of each of my missions. Finished it yesterday myself. I agree with everything you said, plays amazing, dire script and delivery for the most part. The paintings were also the most inspiring thing for me, I wanted to fight that Moth King so bad. Think I've got a murder monster run in me at some stage, dispatching people never got old.

I briefly started a blood drunk Corvo run and tbh it's already more fun. It helps that imo his "gifts" are more interesting than Emily's.

Spur of the moment but finally sank in the 10 minutes required to start and complete Moirai. That's an amazing one shot wonder.
    Spoiler:
  • Firewatch. It was alright. Bit too depressing though.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Supa'ort

Tempy wasn't lying when he said the story was overbearing. Holy shit stop literally getting in my face. More annoying that it has some appreciative beats in places and is quite creepy but they just have no restraint.

Good game though.

8 addictive chants out of 10.

• Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Gears of War: Judgment

Epic Games' "Halo ODST"-style contractual obligation or not, rather good fun, all told. It was a bold decision to change up the control scheme, and I did like the 'declassified' extra mission objectives.

I probably enjoyed it more than Gears 3 (which I also completed recently thanks to codes that came with Gears 4), but only because I played G3 on Normal which turned out to be too easy.

[7] unsubtle references to the Soviet Union out of [10] moments when the changed up control scheme meant I threw a grenade rather than checking my objectives.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    Hexcells Plus (PC) 

More of the same, but the same is good. Maybe wanted slightly more innovation, and it took a while to build up steam, but the last couple of words were pretty great. A very solid [8] octagons from a decagon.

And now...

Hexcells Infinite (PC)

Yet more of the same, but the same is still good.  Maybe wanted slightly more innovation, and it took a while to build up steam, but the last couple of words were pretty great.  Penultimate level was pretty brutal, last one (much like on 'Plus') was a nice idea - wish they'd been more smaller ones like that rather than behemoth 150+hex ones where you're bound to make a mistake along the way just for the sheer number of moves needed!  But yeah anyway, still a very solid [8] octagons from a decagon.

That's on the 36 levels, not the infinite bit, of which I tried one and am now intrigued about how the hell they're randomly generated :|
  • Shovel Knight
    Really enjoyed this after taking a few levels to click. Super charming, plays great, tricky but not too difficult. Tearing my hair out a bit at the final boss encounters but got there after a few shots. Not sure if I feel compelled to go back through as Plague Knight. His controls felt a bit frustrating after the five mins I gave him. But all in all just a lovely game.
  • Good stuff.  Plague Knight hasn't clicked with me either, but some of the upcoming dlc looks a bit more hack/slashy:

specterDashSlash.gif
    Specter-Knight-4.gif
  • That does look good. Massive kudos to them for releasing free DLC. And pretty extensive DLC at that too. My next retro inspired adventure is set to be Axiom Verge.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Emily is Away (PC)

Very short vingnette game, but I really liked it.  Simple but bringing back memories of diffident me back at uni.  Ahh, life... [8] beats from a heart.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Emily is Away (PC)

Very short vingnette game, but I really liked it.  Simple but bringing back memories of diffident me back at uni.  Ahh, life... [8] beats from a heart.
    JonB wrote:
    An inspired choice.

Yup, great little game that.
  • I've never played it. Mrs. B picked it from Muzzy's list based purely on the title.
  • Firewatch. Was quite good, very pretty at times. Slightly underwhelming story, but there are effectively two main stories, one of which happens in the background whilst what you think is the main story plays out in front of you. Still found the ending disappointing. Music was excellent.

Seven pine cones out of ten.
  • Finished off Gravity Rush 2 tonight.

Outside of that wonderful flying mechanic and some good writing (early on at least), there's some seriously bad game in there.

Based on the first 3rd or so when you're just tumbling around a beautiful sky city, this would have been a high 7 or 8 for me. But ludicrous combat camera controls, appalling stealth sections and some of the worst mission design I can remember have brought it down to a low 6.

It's a real shame, as much of it is lovely. I'd probably have a go at another sequel, but they seriously need to up their game.

Think I'll try Yakuza next.
    Gamgertag: JRPC
    PSN: Lastability95
  • that's a shame, sounds like they didn't improve on 1 and might even in fact have made the annoying parts worse.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    doom

Yeah it's great. VISCERAL. driven. STOMPING. singular. PURE. honed.

RIPPED

and

TEARED

9/10

Playing on ultra-violence I felt some of the weapons fell on the way-side once I got most of the ammo upgrades for the suit. Both shotguns and the assault rifle felt underpowered for the amount of damage sponge creatures that were about. And I stopped glory killing as much in favour of just blowing shit away with the Gauss Cannon's Siege Mode.
  • RESIDENT EVII
    Survival Horror is back baby, it's good again! Awoouuu (wolf Howl)

I would never have got around to playing this if it wasn't for the magic of piracy (ok my flat mate bought it too so I could probably have pestered him to let me play it too) but I am glad I took some time to play it anyway, because it's great. Capcom have really learnt from their failures, and this is probably going to slot in alongside Resi One and 4 as a highpoint of the series.

It's a real re-invention of the series, and the best first person horror game I've played. It makes survival horror combat work well in first person. It has a tight claustrophobic environment that rewards exploration and a decent-ish memory. It... has scares and tension. What the fuck happened? It's lots of clever game designed stuffed into a package that deserves your attention. Get over your heebiejeebies and play the damn thing. It's reverent to the legacy of horror, and it's own history as a series. It has a bizarrely compelling plot that has a good ending, and ties smartly into the series at large. 

I liked all of the boss fights, I liked that it had the ability to scare me, I was totally drawn into its dirty grotty pocket universe, I loved the weight to the movement and combat, I even warmed to bog standard filler enemies that the game had no choice to fall back on towards the end. 

Re the end: Minor Spoilers

A lot of people have complained the final chapters run out of steam, or lose the tension and resource scarcity of the first two thirds of the game... but it's a Resident Evil game, you kind of have to anticipate that there will always be a bit that involves slaughtering a bunch of enemies in a big rush. Also there is a large part of that final section that has you reduced to a survivor with no offence, and I found that one of the better sections overall. A change in location was welcome, and it was great that I actually felt harried and put upon for the first time in a few hours.

Bigger spoilers!
    Spoiler:

Overall, I'd say a solid 8, would have loved to see it in VR, that might have tipped it to a 9? Especially some of the final moments. I think everyone should play it, it's fuckin' great, a slap to the chops of horror, and I hope they just leave the series well alone for a good long while and bask in how brilliant a game they've managed to put out. It's one of the best experiences in horror for a while, and it leaves Alien: Isolation in the dirt by realising that instant kill monsters aren't actually that scary: running is scary, doors that lock on one side are scary, having to wait until an enemy is inches away from your faces before taking that last shot are scary. Yeah, it's good. Much to love. Congratulations done Capcom.
  • Endorsement from Tempy?! I'm in. Might see of CEX have it tomorrow. I have credit to burn.
  • Forgot to mention the resource management: it's good! It's simplified but it works well. OG Resi style. You know when bosses are coming because it chucks stuff at you, but that just helps to build tension well. During the rest of the time, it treads the line of making you count bullets because every shot counts. Delicious!
  • Stories: The Path of Destinies

Completely caned and rinsed this, got the platinum trophy. I actually completed it the other day, but was farming footage to compile a couple of videos. (Thanks to DS for sourcing the game's soundtrack to use on the montage video.)

This is by no means one of the best games I've played, but it got its hooks into me. Combat is Arkham-lite; one button combos, getting the timing right to counter enemy attacks, with unlockable skills like a risk/reward slo-mo when you counter as late as possible, and abilities to dash through enemies knocking them down, or skewering them and launching them at other enemies... so, although it's largely one-button combos, you can utilise your dash and hook-shot in combat too. Then, if you really want to mix it up, you can switch between four swords each with different properties; fire, ice, healing, and, uh, purple.

Plot-wise, the idea is that there a number of story paths you can take - 24 alternative endings, and one 'true hero' path (which has a couple of dead endings, but only kncks you back to the start of the level).  Each story takes you around a variety of four (out of six or seven) stylised worlds, and the all end in the same level.

The style is that slightly try-too-hard comedy you'll recognise from countless other Pratchett/Princess Bride wannabes, but it's by no means the worst, and raised a few smiles. The whole thing is narrated by one guy doing different voices. Sometimes that works well, other times not so much.

Somebody else here played it and found the levels a little empty. Although I often liked the tone that set (the plot has an end-of-the-world theme to it) at times it did feel like you were running through extremely pretty but ultimately uneventful scenery until you triggered a combat area.

Another issue would be that the skill tree was poorly balanced for the number of storylines. I'd completed all of the stories, and still had loads of (tbh, pointless) levels of the various skills to unlock. I dare not think how many more times I had to play through to get them all.  Also, the 'true hero' path can be found very, very early on, and finding every other story path is awkward, and each story something of an anticlimax when you've already found the main path. Also also, at some point after I'd found all the gems (which it also gave away too easily) treasure chests stopped dishing out the energy to power up my sword, and only dispensed health - combine that with the fact that various levels rewarded me with upgrades for things which were already fully upgraded, and not the things I needed to upgrade, and it all sounds a lot more frustrating than it actually was.

Hopefully, this montage video will help convey the fact that I did have fun with it:

On the off-chance that anyone is remotely interested, here's the 'true hero' story path:

Edit: I forgot, I did this video the other day, too:

• I'm gonna need someone to sit next to me while I play Resi then as it's getting too many good reviews to let it slip by. Damn scary games being scary!
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    BoxBoy! (3DS)

Really enjoyed it.  Some nice ideas, tightly executed, sensible amount of content, simple aesthetic.

Hard to quibble really - my main objection was it was all slightly too easy (I basically walked "perfects" (all crowns) on every single level).  But having now "completed" it, some more worlds have unlocked, which hopefully will be sterner, plus there are some challenge modes too.

All in all then, I'm in generous modes, so [9] nons from a gon.
  • It does the typical Nintendo thing where it gets trickier post credits.  Good game, probably an [8] from me.   I only realised there's a sequel when I saw it on the Eshop.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Yeah will prob try some more. Didn't know about a sequel...
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    wikipedia wrote:
    a third game, Sayonara! HakoBoy!!, to be released in February 2017.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    You can even get all three on a cart, with amiibo!

1.jpg
  • In!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!