It's the things from your childhood thread
  • adkm1979 wrote:
    Not that one particularly, but loads like it.

AJ wrote:
    ...I'm told white dog poo has gone 'cause of changes in dog food ingredients...
    That and it's not left lying about to turn white any more.

Dog crap turns white when they OD on bone. Possibly a calcium thing. My big lump of a dog regularly gets a Postman's Leg from the butchers and I'm guaranteed a few days of weird white dog shit.

• Iirc proper white dog poo was something different, so I reckon it's a combination of the ingredients thing AJ mentioned and the fact that less of it tends to just sit on pavements to fester.  My dog's stool will be chalky/yellowish after a postman's leg etc, but the OG whitestuff wasn't quite the same thing.
  • It is the calcium thing, yes, but also that it was more often left lying.  They've got less bone in their diets these days.  Back then, as a turd was left on the pavement, and naturally decayed/evaporated(?) so the calcium was left behind, shining white.  It's not common to see a fresh white turd, never was.
  • Took my sister's dog for a walk today. His shits are green.
  • Does it only eat green m 'n' ms?
  • I once at a tonne of sour apple sweets when at Parc Asterix and then spent the next day spewing Exorcist-style green bile all over Paris.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    ZMM wrote:
    (Fun Fax)

Sod that, here's what the cool kids had.

Spy-File-Organizer-FunFax-9780789407405.jpg
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • They were different, had all sorts of differing stuff in. I had them both, and one SciFi themed one, and one all about board games and such.
  • Oh yeah remember them being different just no idea why I had them. I read the spy one a few times but thats it.

I had a book as a kid that I loved.
    It was a bit of a wheres wally type thing, big drawing with loads going on and stuff to find.

Each page was a cruise ship in various stages of peril, something like it starting with a party it then hit rocks, then pirates boarded, ending with a sea monster or something.
    Loved it, I never really read as a kid but I could spend hours analyzing pictures.
  • Seems the brand lasted a lot longer than you'd have expected. Might even still be going, for all I know. http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?field-keywords=funfax

x1dfKwo.jpg
  • A week ago:
    adkm1979 wrote:
    Anyway, she got me that Fisher Price shuttle, and my brother a spaceship that made 'climbing' noises when you pointed it upwards, 'diving' noises when you pointed it downwards, and a 'laser' noises when you pushed the button on it, complete with flashing red LEDs on the front.

Tonight, in a different thread, Mod posted this:

Huzzah.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    They were different, had all sorts of differing stuff in. I had them both, and one SciFi themed one, and one all about board games and such.

I had Fun Fax and the Spy File one, each of which I loved to pieces. Both had so many of the extra books and sections in that they could barely close. I vaguely remember the sci fi one, but I didn't have it. Not heard of the board games one, much cop?
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • adkm1979 wrote:
    It is the calcium thing, yes, but also that it was more often left lying.  They've got less bone in their diets these days.  Back then, as a turd was left on the pavement, and naturally decayed/evaporated(?) so the calcium was left behind, shining white.  It's not common to see a fresh white turd, never was.

That's one thing i don't like about living here- it's much less common for people to clear up the dog shit they leave behind. To make matters worse it seems everyone's in denial about it. On the occasions i've pointed it out people get quite defensive about it.
  • cant believe white dogshit is turning up as a genuine thing from our childhood lol.

$T2eC16dHJF0E9nmFS0!CBRMlk(JTH!~~60_35.JPG
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message

Shrinky Dinks - remember those?

You coloured in a picture on a little plastic sheet and then baked it - it came out smaller and thicker and could be used for various decorative purposes..

il_fullxfull.9778609-1.jpg

Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Yup. I think they'd been renamed "Shrinkles" when I had them, though.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Some were given away in cereals...superflynija's post of the little Rice Krispie people reminded me of them.

Speaking of cereals.. I can remember trying to collect all 4 parts of the Weetabix Dr Who board game...this is the part I can remember getting. Each of the parts were quite different though all were a basic roll and move track. Four boards joined together to create a 4 player extravaganza - winner being first back to the tardis - heady stuff in a pre-videogame age.

dwboard3.jpg

No doubt due to logistical complexities I never saw all 4 boards (they were printed on the back of the box) - can only remember seeing 2 of them - however a kind soul has recreated the complete thing (albeit redux-ed with modern doctors added as playing pieces) in all its glory here

http://www.seven-wonders.co.uk/weetabix_drwho_3.html

• I'm convinced that I once got a Transformer made of cardboard free in cereal, but I can't find any mention of them anywhere.

While I think about it, someone suggested these earlier:

K4r8csp.jpg

Amazingly, you can still get them for about 40p.
  • dat woz me
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • found this at my parents house 

eyxf.jpg
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    What the shit is that? Looks like a toy of some failed cross breeding experiment.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Like an idiot I've let this thread run to 29 pages without checking it. Doh.

Has anyone mentioned those book catalogues you used to get at school? You could order a book(s) from a leaflet and I seem to remember they were pretty heavily discounted. They'd then bring them round a few weeks later.

Was suddenly struck by the memory of it. God I loved that system.
  • Don't think anyone's mentioned it yet, but I certainly remember them. Had big metal bookshelves that hinged in the middle with samples, IIRC.
  • Good grief, I'd completely forgotten about those! Weird office lunchtime nostalgia warp - Achieved!
    Mostly an idiot. Live: thedarthjim / Instagram: mrjalco / Twitter: @MrJalco
  • Yeah they were great.
    The Redhouse Book Club were the ones we always had.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Mod74 wrote:
    Has anyone mentioned those book catalogues you used to get at school? You could order a book(s) from a leaflet and I seem to remember they were pretty heavily discounted. They'd then bring them round a few weeks later.

Was suddenly struck by the memory of it. God I loved that system.

I can remember a thing in Primary school called Chip club that let you purchase books cheaply.

• The name Chip Club rings a bell in m'noggin for sure. Any other West Midlands sprogs of the 80s remember?
    Mostly an idiot. Live: thedarthjim / Instagram: mrjalco / Twitter: @MrJalco
  • I'm pretty sure there was a salt and vinegar flavour Monster Munch in the early 80s, in a blue packet (or maybe just a blue monster on the front). I really liked them, much better than Pickled Onion.
  • There were Ghostbusters maize snacks that always had a ball of concentrated flavour at the bottom of the bag.

Also...

4582841586_846a50578f.jpg

walkers-snaps-spicy-tomato-crisps-24g-68z67171.jpg

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!