It's the things from your childhood thread
  • These were the best top trumps

titlecard-187x300.jpg
  • I had horror characters (some of the pictures terrified me) cars, bikes, planes, crazy cars.  Ah, I miss Top Trumps, but they always seemed to put a game-killing card in there.
  • I loved the above pack. So much so that i used to pretend i was some of the characters. It always disappointed me that the chap from the cover wasn't the best one. I liked his vibe

Other faves

reesh-182x300.jpg

kreenautobot-184x300.jpg

kifka-181x300.jpg

biostorm-181x300.jpg

Totally not interesting for anyone who didn't actually own the pack
  • pic1013426_md.jpg

I missed the rest of the Games Workshop stuff, but these were brilliant. No-one could beat Balgorg for speed iirc. Keeper of Secrets was my fave.
  • I never understood what the symbols at the bottom meant.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I had formula 1 cars (which was odd as the engine size was the same for them all), super cars, aeroplanes, and very oddly, Wild West gunslingers ( kills, age at death etc.)
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I had a "special vehicles" one that was full of things like snow plows and massive cranes. Was weird.
  • Oh shit. Anyone else in Humpty Dumpty club? This may be my earliest memory of toys. I used to get a pack delivered once per month. It had all sorts of colouring in and things to do inside. Loved it

HumptyDumptyClub1.jpg
  • OH MY GOD YES

Holy shit the memories. Big blue square packet with loads of activities. Really educational.
  • Yep! Blue and white pack. Really looked forward to them arriving. I'm oddly pleased to find someone else who got it too.
  • One for my fellow Irishers:
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Oh shit. Anyone else in Humpty Dumpty club? This may be my earliest memory of toys. I used to get a pack delivered once per month. It had all sorts of colouring in and things to do inside. Loved it HumptyDumptyClub1.jpg

This looks really familiar, but I might just be thinking of Tumble Tots. I'll have to ask my mum.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message

Anyone remember the Tufty club? I suspect this will be applicable to older folk

badge2.gif

cover1.jpg

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message

Also this...

5609032611_266e8fa64a_z.jpg

and this....

4979860532_332c585aa8.jpg

• I remember the Tufty Club. An old bloke used to visit the school with a mock zebra crossing and teach us how to cross the road. I think there were public information films on telly too.
    Gamertag: Mal0wner
    3DS Friend Code: MalO 0645-5742-2145
    Wii U: MalOwner
  • where did i get catch the pigeon from? Thats fucking weird. 

I always wanted a gokart 
    81unMW4GuwL._SL1500_.jpg but they looked differently back then. Bright orange or red? 

Also thought these were cool
    fisherprice.jpg
    And I wanted this, my best mates older brother had it. 
    mask_rhino_lego_1.jpg

I never wanted Zoids. 

I eventually got this - 
    2405558676_8829dcfbb6.jpg

Never got this though which was the OG
    20618d1131716058-please-help-me-find-80s-kids-toy-kong-top-mountain-30_1_b.jpg
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • mk64 wrote:
    where did i get catch the pigeon from?
    It's what most people call it, in my experience.

I was never a member of any fan club.  Being a member of the BoS Super Savers (with regular Super Squirrel magazine) was automatic with any kids' account.  I got regular mail from a mail-order joke factory place, but again that was just part and parcel of ordering from them.  Same for Special Reserve.

Anyhoo, that turned my thoughts to magazines.  I got Look-In during the time it mostly looked something like this

2t3j.jpg

and then moved onto Smash Hits, when it looked something like this

64cs.jpg
  • 81unMW4GuwL._SL1500_.jpg

I had one like this when I was about 6 or 7.  My cousin was pushing me around in it and pushed me out onto the road without looking and I was hit by a car.  I was knocked out of the kart but otherwise unhurt and got up and walked away without any bother.  I was very annoyed though and immediately told my parents that the person had been speeding.

When my mother went to speak to the driver, it turned out to be a woman in her 50s.  She was inconsolable about the whole thing.  They ended up having to get an ambulance for her which resulted in the police being involved.  Despite my claims of her dangerous driving, it was obvious that a) the fault belonged to my cousin and I and b) she would have been going at well under the speed limit.  Thankfully common sense prevailed and she wasn't arrested and no further action was taken.

Wouldn't have turned out like that if I had my way though.  Wee shite.
  • I pushed my cousin down a lane on something similar.  He was soon going faster than I could run and, when he reached the road, turned too tightly for the thing to remain upright.  Realising that toppling could lead to a nasty accident, he used his forehead and the high friction of the rough road surface to bring everything to a swift halt.
  • My sister got Smash Hits and Look-In, and also one called Fast Forward. There are around 30 stickers from those mags still stuck under my stairs in the secret cubby hole I found by smashing through some plaster after our loft conversion was finished. Will upload pics later.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message

I had a home made go-kart (called a guider locally) made from lumber and pram wheels - lived on it for the many summers - my knees never healed for a long time. A lot of time was spent looking for better, faster wheels. A few other kids in the neighbourhood were into them too so hill racing was popular for a quite a while.
  • davyK wrote:
    Anyone remember the Tufty club? I suspect this will be applicable to older folk badge2.gif

I had one of these badges, despite having no idea what it was about or where it came from. Was a member of the Dennis the Menace club, though.
  • Whilst older, wiser, nastier people were reading 2000AD, I was reading this

STC50.jpg
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    pic1013426_md.jpg I missed the rest of the Games Workshop stuff, but these were brilliant. No-one could beat Balgorg for speed iirc. Keeper of Secrets was my fave.

These were epic! I had 4 sets, I think.

Have pogs been mentioned, yet?

tumblr_lj5c6aNQNI1qgodqmo1_400.png
  • "It's Alf! He's back... in pog form!"
  • I've got full sets of series 1-3 in tubes in a box but they are still worthless according to eBay where sell price seems in tandem with weight.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • I have a full set of Tazos somewhere.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Blue Swirl wrote:
    Wasn't Stretch Armstrong banned after some kid tied one around his neck and died? Or is that just an urban myth?
    Stretch is still on the go as far as I know...he even has a dog sidekick according to the wiki called "Fetch Armstrong".

I remember the adverts for Fetch. Initially very exciting until you realised there was less you could do with him than Stretch.
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I missed the rest of the Games Workshop stuff, but these were brilliant. No-one could beat Balgorg for speed iirc. Keeper of Secrets was my fave.

I had those, but the 40K version(s). Probably explains my obsession to this day.
    mk64 wrote:
    I've got full sets of series 1-3 in tubes in a box but they are still worthless according to eBay where sell price seems in tandem with weight.

Aye, I decided to get shot of my collection some years ago. They're worth nothing, even my weird rarities from France (Smurf pogs, anyone?). I think I kept my complete Series 1 and recycled the rest.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!