Edge 258
  • MORE THAN WORTH MENTIONING!
  • Oh fuck all of them.
  • monkey wrote:
    In the days of the blurum, one of the staffers was championing this. Had some reference to it in his sig and came out with a few hyperbolic statements about it. I presume this revision is his doing. It's a run of the mill iOS puzzle game. [7]
    Killingsworth, wasn't it? He was tweeting about it non-stop for a veeeeery long time.
  • What a load of bollocks. Oh Edge, where did it all go wrong?
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • mott_zpse3e2a317.jpg
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Um?
  • Edge compiling 20 best games of past 20 years for their 20th anniversary malarkey. Readers/anyone can submit their top 10, nostaligia is allowed (which apparently means they don't have to be best to play today or something), and the games need to have been released (in any territory) since first issue of Edge.

So. Another list, eh? I'm going to submit:

Pong
    Space Invaders
    Jet Set Willy
    Defender
    Robotron
    Elite
    Head Over Heels
    Asteroids
    Donkey Kong
    Tetris

Just for a laugh. Expect it's not funny.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Finally available through Newstand. Seems to be the Doom cover. Half price for 20 days though.

Correction, the iPad edition is EVERY cover, not just one.
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • monkey wrote:
    In the days of the blurum, one of the staffers was championing this. Had some reference to it in his sig and came out with a few hyperbolic statements about it. I presume this revision is his doing. It's a run of the mill iOS puzzle game. [7]
    Killingsworth, wasn't it? He was tweeting about it non-stop for a veeeeery long time.

Ben Maxwell if I recall correctly.
  • Still don't get the Edge hate, think they're fine still.

If they've given Drop7 a good score, they probably have a reason for it
  • You're wrong, it's shit now.
  • I can't believe the whole Red Dead thing. I never finished it due to boredom and the fact I could not handle seeing yet another glitch in that game, it was fucking horrendous for glitches. An 8 at best. Interested to read what they say about it.

You should probably just accept you don't like these kind of games.
  • I don't hate Edge, but this is mental.

An Edge [10], like it or not, has a certain status.  Even people who find Edge pretentious and arrogant hold the allocation of a [10] in some regard.  The way you sustain that regard is not, in any way, shape, or form, by taking a selection of games which were not awarded it for good reason, and dish out the [10]s for the sake of an anniversary feature that nobody is that fussed about.  What would have been a braver, and arguably more worthwhile feature, would have been to take these games and reinforce why they didn't quite make it.  That's how you keep the Edge [10] status; highlight why it's so very rare.

I don't mean this as hyperbole, but this feature devalues the score they are dishing out to these games, and pisses all over their integrity.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Still don't get the Edge hate, think they're fine still.

If they've given Drop7 a good score, they probably have a reason for it

There is a difference between a good score and an Edge 10. An Edge 10 used to be hugely regarded. Pretty sure the Last of Us tv spots opened with EDGE 10/10 in huge letters, indicating its prestige.
  • Or what Adkm said.
  • I don't hate Edge, giving Drop7 a 10 is wrong not because I don't like it much but because there are better games out there, better in every single aspect that got less than 10.

The nepotism just makes it worse.
  • I hope all these people moaning about Edge up-marking a few games aren't the same people who've previously uttered 'it's just a number'.

I'm not really interested in the article, but at the same time there's nothing wrong with reevaluating previous decisions.
  • I don't mind if anyone saying this has said that.  I'd argue, given the status that Edge themselves bestowed upon ten, that the difference between seven and eight, and eight and nine, is nothing like the difference between nine and [10].  5, 6, 7, they are just fairly similar numbers.  The description previously afforded to [10] sets it apart.
  • If I hated Edge and stopped reading them, I wonder if I would bother reading anything else instead. Still the only gaming publication I buy and read. That's not to say I don't feel they've gotten worse in the past couple of years.
  • Drop7 wouldn't be a 10 even if there wasn't any special status set aside for 10. It's a 7 at best.
  • Just like LBP and GTAIV.
  • Thanks for trying to help

still don't get it

Owh Whell
  • Drop7 isn't a 10 by any conceivable measure, be it originality or execution or graphics or best in its class or whatever. Game most by the husband of an ex-editor is about the only one I can think of.
  • But, Ben Maxwell and Jason Killingsworth both rinsed it for hours, uploading videos on how to get the best scores on the hardest modes, and if you've followed the latter on twitter you'll know how much he loves score chasing, and games that test his skill, i'd highly suspect either of them were behind it, rather than a link to Maggie's hubby, who isn't even involved in Edge anymore.

---

The issue with 10s for me is, well, I guess i'm easy. I don't find Edge 10s special like I may once have done, and certainly by the time I was reading Edge I was already able to decide that I liked certain games more than the 7s they were given, and games that were given 10s weren't going to be to my liking.

So to me they've pissed on nothing, because I only read their reviews because I enjoyed them, and their insight into genres I don't really care for. I rarely agree with them on scores, but that doesn't bother me because I tend to find that the text usually reflects the train of thought leading to the score.

Again, as SingSing would say, Owh Whell!
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    [why am I about to type what I'm about to type, huh]

I stopped paying attention when Half-Life 2 scored ten. I didn't agree with Halo's, either, but unlike the former, Halo did innovate in one or two key areas. Half-Life 2 embellished then-current trends.

(My prime reason for downmarking Halo would've been Flashpoint. Back to increasingly copied and pasted corridors after a real push for ramblers' liberation. I'd rather have seen what OG Halo turned into.)
  • I got cover 15/20, the OG Modern Warfare sheath. Nice and clean, harks back to when there was a pleasing simplicity to their cover art. Times unfortunately do change. I shall have a leaf through now.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • My subscription copy arrived today....

I ended up with the Final Fantasy VII cover, which was disappointing, it's probably the only game of the 20 cover games I've never played. I wanted Shenmue.

Also, Dreamcast only at number 10.... pfft.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • You've never played FFVII??? You don't like that cover?!?!
  • I owned a Saturn.

The cover does nothing for me, because the game has no relevance.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!