Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Cool - I have a free copy of Fifa 14 coming, so might just give PES a try, depending on the demo. Doesn't look as though it's up yet.
  • It's up tomorrow I'm sure.
  • I gave the demo a go, and bearing in mind the last FIFA I played was 10 it was bound to be a massive improvement. However, it still doesn't do it for me, it's only a demo but I found it boring and I don't fancy dropping £40 to find out if I'm right/wrong. Over to you, PES demo.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • I will probably buy FIFA 14 next gen and PES this gen.  Best of both worlds that way.
  • PES demo seems to corrupt every time I try to install it. SALE LOST.
  • Isn't FIFA for people who don't like videogames?
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    That's Minecraft
  • regmcfly wrote:
    That's Minecraft

Thought it was Knack ?
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    No that's for people who used to like games in the 90s
  • No its not !
  • After one quick game... Nonplussed
    And I think they've managed to make the menus even more annoying!
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Yep, damn their user friendliness.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Ram, you're going to incur the wrath of (i think its) escape if he ever tips up in this thread.
  • pfft, like i'm afraid of ohmygoddidyousayescapeohshit...anyway, if i'm getting the wrath i may aswell get both barrels! :)

it's just how i wanted the menus for my console game....great big touch screen buttons!
    then again, PES can also do one with it's stupid 'mouse cursor'.

my biggest gripe with FIFA is probably the front end.  i reckon i hate every single moment from booting the game up until you get on the pitch....all the nonsense, the stupid menu layouts, the awful tactics screens etc...  the best way they could have impressed me with their annual update would be to leave the gameplay alone and just re-do all of the UI.  and here they've somehow managed to change a bit of the front end in a way that is only likely to irritate me even more.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Can't remember Escape being bothered by any of this. But Jeez, if it is Escape...
  • I've just watched a video of the full game of this - my friend uploaded it for me.

Looks better than the demo - cameras zoomed out by default, game looks even slower again.  Oli have you played it yet?

Might buy this just for 2v2.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    I've played so many builds I can't tell the difference any more.

I'm picking up my copy of the game from EA tomorrow.
  • Cool let us know how it plays mate.
  • He's been playing it since Saturday via his Ea Seasons Pass
  • EG review is up:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-09-23-fifa-14-review

First time in YEARS that PES has scored better there.
    You could argue that FIFA 14 shows EA Sports is running out of ideas, then, but for me this is a developer that knows exactly what it's doing. Neither the football match engine nor Ultimate Team were broken in any major way, and the placebo effect of a suite of control and balance tweaks, along with its increasingly snug ties to the drama of real-life football, will be enough to carry its ever-growing audience of players through the next season. As much as I know I will play it all year, though, I would like to feel a greater sense of progression next time. Hopefully EA Sports will find the next-generation consoles inspiring.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Also pretty shameful is that they've done with the 3DS one what they've done with the Vita one - it's a £30 reskin and teamchange. Nothing else done to it.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    That Eurogamer review is hilarious. You could argue on one hand that he knows what he's talking about given he's a seasoned player, but then he puts...
    Neither the football match engine nor Ultimate Team were broken in any major way

Neither statement is true.

Regardless, it'll still destroy PES for sales, as it always does, but it's promising to see the plucky PES boys trying to make a comeback.
  • FIFA has always destroyed PES for sales, doesn't make it a better game.  (See the Modern Warfare games).

For me FIFA is stale now.  The players still look/feel like wrestlers stuck in mud and the game doesn't flow anything like the beautiful game.

But that's just from the demo I've played - still gonna check out the full game on Friday.

Both games need each other.  EA have got lazy because PES has terrible for a good number of years now.  With PES bouncing back with the new engine, EA will have to up their game next year.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    But it has been the better game and has been for the last five years (not including this year). The PES demo was okay, but nothing really dragged me back to play another game - that said it's still on my hard drive, so that's progress I guess. I saw nothing in this new engine that suggested anything revolutionary. Regarding your Modern Warfare example, I'm a bit confused as you don't seem to be comparing it to anything else to make your point.

In summary...

tumblr_mt0r3kuk471r9edlso1_1280.jpg

We'll just talk each other in circles ultimately. There's no room in my (or most other people's lives) for two footy games. It would take a monumental fuck-up by EA to concede the market to Konami. I just don't see it happening.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Pre-ordered FIFA today against my better judgement. I didn't really get on with 13, thought it was by far the weakest since I made the switch from PES in 08 and most reviews/discussion so far points to only minor tweaks for 14 but I'm willing to stick with them.

I had heard that EA had been putting most of their efforts into the next gen version of 14. Not sure how much truth there is in that but it will be interesting to compare when the new consoles come out.

Despite the generally more positive feedback that PES has been receiving in the last year or two, I've still found it to be pretty terrible so taking some of the comments of this years version with a massive pinch of salt.
  • @Oli

I wasn't saying that PES will better FIFA's sales - it will never happen.

But the purists who left PES for FIFA back in 2006 (because Konami lost the plot) are playing PES again now from what I can gather by looking at the forums and YouTube comments.  I can tell you're a big FIFA fan and that's fine but PES is an extremely good game again now.

I've played FIFA to death for years so I feel I'm entitled to my opinion of both franchises,  I'm not one of those raging PES fans who refuse to even try a FIFA game (like those idiots over at WENB).  I just feel it's time for change. 

And don't make me post FIFA player models mate, EA are still yet to nail how a player actually looks.  For some reason, they presume every footballer is built like a boxer.  ;)

Anyway, it's all horses for courses.  At the end of the day, we buy & play what we enjoy and feel comfortable with. 

I do enjoy a good footy game debate though :)

(Oh and MW/Battlefield was my point - the better game for the FPS purist is BF, but MW always does better in sales because the kids love it.)
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Regarding the debate, me too - nothing will top that Rafael pic though - I dare ya to try ;)

You know my history with PES. I have played every version since the first PS2 (I think, getting old now) version. Of course you're entitled to your own opinion and I respect yours more than most on here as they tend to buy it, play it on and off for a week then never play it again, claiming it hasn't changed a jot.

Fifa 14 isn't perfect at the moment - a fool would admit otherwise. There are a couple of gameplay niggles that were picked up at beta and they're pretty ready to be patched. The gameplay is slower, the career mode is way more in-depth than PES' Master League. It does look a bit dated now (so maybe the Fox Engine can capitalise there) but we've yet to really see NG Fifa 14. I think PES maybe is more favoured as an offline game. For online shenanigans, they're not even remotely close.

To be honest, I expected more from that Eurogamer review. So much emphasis on just one game mode.
  • I've been reading on a few forums that the reviewers over at EG are Pro Evo fanboys mate.  That will explain the scores this year.

PES as a package still isn't near FIFA's level and Konami need to address this.  Just 19 stadiums this year which is pretty pathetic.  But the gameplay, for me, is phenonemal.

And that Rafael face must be a pissake?  So, so bad.  But it's being updated with Data Pack 2 apparently (Which will include 100s of new faces).

And yes, PES online has been a shambles since I can remember.  Which is why I'll get FIFA 14 NG for 2v2 if PES 14 doesn't work (which I'm betting it won't).

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!