The Wonderful 101 - Kamiya is the best
  • Golly, That's Awesome, Verily.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Thankfully September has no games of any note out on any console no sir not one game of any import.

GTAV?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Er...
  • Have I just failed at sarcasm?

Anyway, I'm up to 5-C on this and I'm really enjoying it. I think the Edge score is harsh, saying that it does have its issues. Some of the unite morphs are too difficult to pull off later in the game. Namely...
    Spoiler:
    There are also camera issues in certain places, particularly when you're using the gamepad.

Ultimately though its a blast, the pacing's great, the bosses are fantastic and I love the aesthetic design. And it gets better as it goes on. I was unsure about buying this, really pleased I did now.
  • To add to this, the world 5-C boss is one of my best games moments of the year.
  • Also: this sold 13K copies worldwide which is a disaster. Though it's not out in America yet.
  • Forget what I said elsewhere. Just finished acts 5 and 6. Bloody good game. It's just a shame that the fighting system took so long to finally click. Game of the year contender.
    3DS friend code: 2809-8024-1882
    AC: New Leaf: James (Ardis) 
    Wii U: BennyProfane
    Switch: SW-4893-5168-5693
  • Also, for those having trouble with the camera, try pressing the ZR and LR buttons. You're welcome.
    3DS friend code: 2809-8024-1882
    AC: New Leaf: James (Ardis) 
    Wii U: BennyProfane
    Switch: SW-4893-5168-5693
  • Looking forward to digging into this next week

Spoiler pic of hidden character(s)

Believe!
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    Episode 001

Episode 002

Episode 003

Watching the latest Saur video has got me back into this game after a month hiatus. His skills are top-tier! I'm still fresh fish, but slowly learning the intricacies.

If you have even a passing interest in beat/slash-em-ups you really should watch them, just to see how awesome Kamiya and Co. are at creating incredibly deep and complex systems (like you didn't know already).

Easily in my top 5 games of this year and i've barely scratched the surface!
  • Unite Morphs can be stacked?

This changes everything.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Dogfingers wrote:
    Also: this sold 13K copies worldwide which is a disaster. Though it's not out in America yet.
    That's catastrophically bad.

oh dear

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • That's ... goddamn. No words. No words can do that justice.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    It's actually 60,000 worldwide sales since launch (not incl. digital downloads) but that's still a flop.

Blame Nintendo's lack of marketing, and the fact most people just don't know what sorta game it actually is, especially being released so close to Pikmin. I imagine to the layman it looks very similar - controlling a huge mob of characters onscreen.

Oh well. Another ignored gem from Platinum. Thank fuck Nintendo funded it, or they'd be outta business surely?
  • This is starting to click for me, now that Ive finally had a bit of time to put into it. Up to/just finished the second (really third) chapter with the comms tower. Still die a lot, get a lot of consolation prizes, but mainly when falling off buildings or missing QTE bits. The actual combat is getting far more easier.

I think the best way to sum it up is that I feel like I'm always at the edge with this game. Never feel like I am ahead of the game, but every step of the way its grabbing me by the collar and dragging me along with it (skill wise). Which results in shit scores, but always means Im getting better (or feel like it).

The humour in the deaths of both heroes and villains is gold. At times its like a cross between voltron and benny hill.
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    Since watching those video tutorials i've actually gone back an replayed the first two operations and increased my overall ranking by a huge margin.

It's so good, but criminally overlooked and under-appreciated. Oh well, their loss.
  • i got bored of this. It's wayyy too long and runs out of ideas. Think im on mission 8-2 or something.
  • Wonder Yellow brings some tough bosses to fight
  • Well, Chapter 5 down.
    And the appearance of Wonder Black has added a brilliant (cheese?) attack strategy that has actually helped me beat one boss without taking a single hit!

Quite the climax. An escape sequence combining elements of the following games:
    Spoiler:
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    Saur: I knew I was missing something and I fear many of the people reviewing this also missed it, this game requires a certain structure during battles in order to make it make sense. You remember how in Viewtiful Joe people who didn't understand the game used to slag it off as being repetitive and simple? This was simply because they didn't understand the structure required in order to fight properly. In Viewtiful Joe you could only damage enemies properly once a certain condition is met, the most basic condition is that you dodge an attack. Once you meet that condition, you must then damage that enemy as much as possible (but don't kill it) before repeating the process on all other enemies on-screen. Once you have damaged all enemies, you hit SLOW and bash each enemy with a SLOW attack. Each enemy you strike during SLOW adds +1 to the multiplier applied to the total points you gained before you went into SLOW.

The Wonderful 101 functions under the same premise, but this time you're moving in 3D space so they've jiggled the mechanics around. The most basic structure of The Wonderful 101's fights are: Team Attack > Climb Attack > Combo for damage. Many enemies have armour which must first be broken, so the structure there will be: Break Armour > Team Attack > Climb Attack > Combo for damage. The key to this system is the "Team Attack" on [X] button which causes your units to lunge ahead of your position and hit the target. Repeatedly hitting the enemy with Team Attack will eventually activate the "Climb Attack" which stops the enemy from moving momentarily (signified with a "clash" sound effect). This is the equivalent to the SLOW mechanic of Viewtiful Joe. In the Climb Attack state the enemy will be susceptible to all hit reactions, this means you can launch the enemy into the air and deal damage out of the reach of other enemies on the ground.

The Team Attack cannot be performed on enemies with armour, this fact is the equivalent of the many conditions you had to fulfil in order to properly combo and damage enemies in Viewtiful Joe. The Combo multiplier in this game operates on a timer, each time you hit an enemy you have 5 or so seconds to land another hit or else the combo drops. So in many cases where you need to break an enemy's armour, you will have many smaller enemies on screen which exist for the sole purpose of keeping the Combo Timer active. So suppose you have one big armoured tank and lots of small troops, you will need to break the large tank's armour while keeping the Combo Timer active against the smaller enemies. So your primary focus is reflecting the large tank's projectile attacks in order to break its armour (done by pressing the L trigger just before a projectile hits you), all the while using Team Attack and other light hits against the smaller troops to keep the Combo Timer active. Then once you've reflected enough projectiles to break the large tank's armour you then repeatedly hit it with Team Attack until it enters Climb Attack state. As soon as you score a Climb Attack you go in with full power; launching the enemy into the air and performing the biggest combo you can.

This is the basic structure of each fight, and the enemy waves are very deviously designed with the intention of getting you to multi-task and prioritise targeting based on threat.

It is also important to note that Climb Attack will not activate on an enemy in a "downed" state. You can only Climb Attack enemies which are "standing", as soon as the enemy falls to the ground you should switch over to Team Unite attacks to deal damage.

You only get a brief opportunity to deal damage in safety so it's important that you are able to string together big damaging combos. Many of the reviews I have read state that this is where the game falls apart, but I would beg to differ. Reviewers seem to be under the impression that you have to manually draw perfect replicas of the on-screen glyphs in order to select weapons, you don't. You use the right analogue stick to quickly enter commands as you would in a fighting game, think of the weapon glyphs as directional commands and not shapes to draw. Once you get used to this idea you can select weapons really quickly, even the trickier glyphs like the Unite Bomb only requires you to spin the stick once then hold a direction. This leads me to the next mechanic; you can draw the glyph for the next weapon to be used in your combo sequence during the attack animation of your current weapon. After you draw a glyph you must press [A] to equip the weapon to your Leader, the cool thing here is that all Special Attack commands end with [A] button. So you can draw a glyph during any attack animation then activate that glyph with a Special Attack command. This is the key to the big combos and the way to really up your game; you select the weapon and perform a Special Attack at the same time!

Also of note is a brilliant little mechanic which stops smaller enemies from attacking your group while you busy yourself with a more threatening enemy. If you hold [Y] your group bunches together close to the Leader, this is useful for keeping your units out of harm's way. If you don't hold [Y] however, your units will spread out and automatically attack any nearby enemies and actually stop the smallest enemies from entering an attack animation. This is absolutely vital when things get hectic, reviewers often complain that they cannot see everything that's going on - but with this mechanic you don't need to.

Once you get the basics down, you notice a ton of extra little mechanics which all fit into the main "premise". You won't even notice 90% of them until you start really learning the system.

If you like games which don't play themselves, games which require skill and learning from the player - you'll have an absolute blast with this. Don't listen to people who go on about "control issues" or the game being "repetitive", they haven't taken the time to bother learning the controls and the game is only "repetitive" when THEY play it because they aren't doing anything with the system. Nailing a difficult fight and scoring a Pure Platinum is legit, it's the sort of real satisfaction which has been removed from games lately and replaced by artificial carrot and stick Achievements. This is a real videogame!
    ^ Knowledge!
  • Yep. I knew none of that but the game taught it all to me without need for guides. Fantastic in hindsight, hard as nails before you click with it.

Final boss especially.
  • Addendum: I was completely oblivious to the stun state where you can launch them.
  • Ok I've just finished this:

Thoughts:
    It's a good game, but there's a fucking brilliant one trying to get out, compromised by needless padding and some really ropey sections. The combat is brilliant and I've rarely had problems with the controls once you master them. Once you get into a rhythm it's an absolute blast. There are some pricelessly imaginative moments that are as brilliant as anything I've ever seen in games coupled with some novel uses of the gamepad which for the most part works great. But....
    Spoiler:
  • Whilst I accept the point that the game could arguably have done with a bit of editing, for me personally the ebullient nature of the game made it an easy thing to forgive.

I've had the feeling in the past that certain games I've anticipated greatly (eg Halo 2 or 3) have progressed way too fast along the set path, and there comes with that a shallow feeling of having missed what you had been waiting for for so long as the directors ticked the boxes and gave you the expected events, twists and turns.

With W101 I had the opposite feeling - the impression was that the directors had a number of ideas they felt proud of, and they reveled in it. Some of the ideas have entire games based around them (as per the examples you listed). In W101, they were ten minute segments and full of vibrant colours, energetic characters and just plain ridiculousness.

I do agree with the complaint with some ropey sections (mainly poorly signposted one-time unite bits), and there was a degree of hit and miss with the controls until it finally clicked for me later on.

Perhaps because I have yet to finish Vanquish or play Bayonetta I feel this way, as opposed to your stance on a bit of over-indulgence. In any case I should rectify that.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!