adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Final Fantasy VII Remake: Episode INTERmission (PS5) - While extremely attractive and utilising the same decent base gameplay as the main game, this standalone piece of content that was released alongside the PS5 version of Final Fantasy VII Remake basically represents the worst of the entire remake project. I broadly enjoyed the original FFVIIR game although thought it was flabby and overlong - this is basically a solid 7 hours of the boring padding.

The writing was poor - I found Yuffie quite irritating and tropish and Sonon’s backstory laughable. It goes to complete shit at the end when it becomes a cross-over with FUCKING DIRGE OF CERBERUS FROM THE PS2! I’M NOT MAKING THIS UP, FUCKING DIRGE OF CERBERUS, THE EXECRABLE FINAL FANTASY THIRD-PERSON SHOOTER, CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS SHIT?!

I cannot overstate how much this development antagonised me, and the episode is not able to recover from this before it closes. Additionally, there are also some Yuffie-less scenes with the main FFVIIR cast that pick up events from the main game at the end as a fuck you to anyone that wasn’t interested in buying this.

I can’t say this was entirely bad as the gameplay was mostly fine, if a bit uninteresting, but wow, if you didn’t like the main game you will fucking despise this. [5]
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    I always thought 'dirge' was a bad thing to name a game.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Yeah, bit of an odd choice. It was probably a contrivance to fit in with the alphabetical naming scheme for Final Fantasy VII spin-offs:
    * Advent Children (AC)
    * Before Crisis (BC)
    * Crisis Core (CC)
    * Dirge of Cerberus (DC)
    * Ever Crisis (EC)
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    "We have to call it something beginning with DC, to keep with the alphabetical naming scheme, otherwise the fans will be pissed and won't buy the game. I know! How about Dirge of Cerberus? It totally works if you ignore the 'of'."
    "Sir, I don't think it really matters. I don't think anyone's noticed. Plus, 'dirge' kinda has a downer feel to it..."
    "YOU'RE FIRED."
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • EvilRedEye wrote:
    Final Fantasy VII Remake: Episode INTERmission (PS5) 

it was flabby and overlong - this is basically a solid 7 hours of the boring padding.

Trudge of Trudgerus.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Apparently there's a FF7 novel (Traces of Two Pasta) that it is highly recommended to read before Rebirth.

Going full Kingdom Hearts I love it.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Fuck it typo stays.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Apparently there's a FF7 novel (Traces of Two Pasta) that it is highly recommended to read before Rebirth. Going full Kingdom Hearts I love it.

Tried to buy that novel when I was in the uk but it was 7.99 and I only had 7.98. That's right, i was a penne short.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    W.T.F U silly
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    W.T.F U fusilli.

• FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Oh yeh.

I've been up since 4am, that's my excuse.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    Apparently there's a FF7 novel (Traces of Two Pasta) that it is highly recommended to read before Rebirth.

Going full Kingdom Hearts I love it.

Goddamn, I am compelled to buy this now.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I still haven’t finished the Final Fantasy XV good ending book.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    It's his 6th game this year.  HE gave it 79/10.  Amazing score, Cocha would be proud.

Beaming…
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    FranticPea wrote:
    Oh yeh.

I've been up since 4am, that's my excuse.

Good morning Frantic.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    He's a canny lad. Can't be left alone around sharp objects, but he's canny
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Famicom Detective Club: The Girl Who Stands Behind (Nintendo Switch) - Another polished-but-faithful remake from the Famicom visual novel duology. I’ve seen a few people suggest this is a step up from the first game but to be honest, I didn’t think it was much different and I ended up preferring the mystery from the first game. Also there’s a dumb mechanic where you have to play the game in a very specific, perfect way to build up compatibility points with your investigation partner/possible romantic interest to unlock the perfect ending, which seems to involve always acting in a stereotypically masculine way or somehow earning points in mysterious, obtuse ways. I only earned 11/20 and had to watch the good ending on YouTube. I think it’s supposed to encourage replays but why would you want to replay a linear visual novel over and over?

Overall, this is a bit dated and obtuse but not bad for an 8-bit console visual novel and the visual overhaul and full voice acting are nice. [6]
  • Yakuza 0
    This was my first Yakuza beyond a couple of hours in one of the others (maybe 4, can't remember doesn't matter).
    Going in I'd heard a lot about these games, the craziness mixed with solid story telling. Mad side quests and bigger, job type secondary content.

Its all there that's for sure. However the opening third is quite the trudge through a hell of a lot of tutorial based stuff bookended with mad amounts of talking. That "Myeeeeah" guy that trains Kyru never shuts the fuck up. As a result that first third took me a long time to get past, in real world terms. Many weeks past and I completed FF7 Rebirth in-between. I was wondering if I would really click with the series as all this was fine but not anything special.

I came back to it over the past week and it really got it's claws in. The story found its feet which got me more engaged in everything else. I did some better side quests, embraced the weirdness and juxtaposition of side content vs core. 
    I ended up not doing too much on the Real Estate Royale and Hostess jobs, not that i didnt enjoy them but I was too eager to see the next part of the story. With Kiwami 1 and 2, and Remastered collection bought and downloaded I'll have plenty of opportunity to explore more in the future.

I'd say I now very much 'get' the series and I'm all in for more. In fact I booted up Kiwami 1 straight after finishing 0.
    I will miss the version of Majima from 0, I imagine there might have been some controversy about how his character is in 0 as he appears to be very different from 1 already.

The story was brilliant. Lots of twists and turns which only occasionally felt convenient. I also appreciate that the devs did their best to keep the player up to speed. Recaps when switching character were appreciated and often when talking about a character there will be a little line of dialogue or flash back to an earlier scene to serve as a reminder of who they are. Handy for a game with such a complex web of characters.

It should be a [9] but I think those first few chapters being a bit too heavy on tutorials drag it down a bit so a very strong [8]
  • Just finished The Last of Us Part 2 [PS5]. I had said to myself previously that I wouldn’t play this again, after the PS4 version. It’s absolutely superb, but so damned bleak and hopeless that I wasn’t sure I could emotionally take it again. However, having recently done Part 1 on the PS5, I went into this with an open mind. It’s still bleak as hell, but I found myself enjoying (or perhaps appreciating) it more this time around - possibly because of playing Part 1 so soon before. Both are absolutely masterful story-based experiences that play well too, Part 2 especially. I wonder what comes next from Naughty Dog?
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    4. Like A Dragon: Infinite Wealth - PS5 - 76hrs I didn’t pay full price for this game but even if I did I couldn’t complain about the value for money here. It is a ridiculously generous games, or really multiple games inside a single game, you have the main story, which is not as simple as it first appears, you have a Pokemon game (admittedly, I didn’t do much of this) and you have Animal Crossing. That is without all the myriad side quests (all well thought out and as mad as the original), mini-games (photoing island pervs? Yes please), Persona-like challenge dungeons, and something that long-time Yakuza fans will love, I think.

There is so much going on here, but it is all so wonderfully balanced with that addictive turn-based gameplay loop, like Yaklad. The systems have evolved and there are some radical design decisions made as the game progresses, with one character getting a great power that seems at odds with the rest of the game, but it works.

I honestly can’t think of a single thing to fault this game on. It’s a solid [10], I think if I’d played the earlier Yakuza games I’d have probably given it an 11.

P.S. stick around for the post-credits scene.
  • I enjoy reading badger Yakuza feedback but I think I'll stick with the memories of 0. Was nodding along to Liv's review further up the page (although would've settled on the [9] myself, was such a wild ride). Which of the new ones isn't turn based? I've lost track.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I enjoy reading badger Yakuza feedback but I think I'll stick with the memories of 0. Was nodding along to Liv's review further up the page (although would've settled on the [9] myself, was such a wild ride). Which of the new ones isn't turn based? I've lost track.

Judgement and Lost Judgement are the modern punchy punch ones, plus Like a Dragon: Gaiden - Blokey Wot Has No Name.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Yaklad and this are the only turn based games.
  • I've started Kiwami proper now.
    It strange in that it feels more and less modern than 0 but that's what ya get with a remake I suppose. I think 0 is going to win out over this one but I'm still enjoying it.
    Getting jumped by Majima is brilliant, more games need this mechanic.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I enjoy reading badger Yakuza feedback but I think I'll stick with the memories of 0. Was nodding along to Liv's review further up the page (although would've settled on the [9] myself, was such a wild ride). Which of the new ones isn't turn based? I've lost track.

Judgement and Lost Judgement are the modern punchy punch ones, plus Like a Dragon: Gaiden - Blokey Wot Has No Name.

I bought Lost Judgement when it was cheap on PS5. Didn't hate it but the main character wasn't doing it for me after 3-4hrs. It's doing the forum rounds now and I'm not too fussed about having another crack. Man With The Ink Eraser might be worth a shot at some point. I really enjoyed Yak 0.
  • Id love for a proper game with the Yakuza mechanics but instead set inside the swinging 60s starring Austin powers
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • I've been crossing my fingers for a 2D Yak game for years. Belt scroller, lots of bosses. Would probably have to use the interconnected map system of something like River City Girls rather than a traditional levels in sequence format. Lots of pixel art minigames, obviously loads of arcades with playable old Sega stuff in them too. Chip chooons. Multiplayer. Would love.
  • I started playing Fist of the North Star which I think is the only Yak spin off into something totally different.

The combos and finishers are hilariously mental.
  • Finished Final Fantasy VII Rebirth with 77 hours on the clock. I have plenty of thoughts. They're mostly positive, though I wish they'd toned down the number of and difficulty of a lot of the minigames, it really is quite kitchen sink design. Very lavish but not quite necessary. The last three chapters are excellent though, the combat system really shines and it gets very difficult. Sometimes too difficult, like it's asking you to solve a puzzle that it won't give you the guidelines for until after you've failed so you have start from scratch. That said, when it clicks it's absolutely electric and the audio visual stuff is great. Having all six team members around at nearly all times is great fun.

I came out of Remake fairly enthused about the game, but extremely suspect of where they could go with this story, and not really liking the changes to the story. This time around I am quite positive on where they can go with the third instalment, and I think they've improved on what was a good gameplay core in Remake.

The presentation is fantastic, the music especially is remix and reshaping Uematsu's work into something expansive and engrossing. Any time the game adapts musical motifs to do with Jenova, the Ancients, or the Planet/Lifestream, it does really interesting things with a broad instrumental palette that do more than just build up the original themes with bluster and fireworks - something Remake did a little too much of for my taste. 

As well as some absolutely soaring highs, there are some quite crushing lows, mainly around poorly judged minigames or combat sequences where the Assess text doesn't quite mesh with your combat objective, but these are largely minor missteps in a very grand and incredibly generous game. The final chapter kinda sums it up fantastically, a quiet little moment of character expansion that builds on the work done to turn these characters into real three dimensional portraits, followed by some utterly head scratching narrative stuff, rounded out out by an absolutely breathless sequences of battles that is a loveletter to the original game, recontextualised for a modern console and all the graphical horesepower it can harness.

Crucially, it's not a 1:1 replacement of the original FInal Fantasy VII, a game I maintain holds up well to this day, especially in its quieter and more atmospheric moments. The Nibelheim flashback is handled better in a 30 year old game than in its modern counterpart, the gaps in its presentation allow you to fill in so much more and it all drips with dread. But the times when Rebirth really excels is when it takes moments that need to be grander and dramatic, and it elevates them through the fucking stratosphere. I am glad this part of the journey is done, and that it's been handled so confidently. Onto the next part. Let's mosey.

PS Fuck Chadley and MAI they belong in the crashed Gelinka with all the horrible high level fiends. Loser shit. The worst hangs imaginable.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!