Just completed
  • Facewon wrote:
    Woah.

Long running joke, iirc; they heart each other really/possibly...

• I hope so. *hugs*
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Nah muzzy's a prick for sure. Worst thing about this forum.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Super Metroid

Did it. One planet less in the universe. 100% items (with a map before going to the last bosses), game clock said 12:16 but my 3DS clock is over 20 hours. Not that it matters. Might be the best game out there.

End game wasn't too hard, but wouldn't have been this easy if I didn't go for all the items. I was in it for the exploring anyway.

So many great moments in this game, most of which I've covered in the currently playing thread. Might have enjoyed it just a little bit more if I grabbed the map even later, I had most of my items/abilities when I used a map. Even then there were more unfound areas then I expected. Some of them were still hard to discover, but the thing I didn't realize was that
    Spoiler:
    Couldn't have done it without the restore points on the 3DS, time wise and skill wise.

I remember buying a SNES at a flea market. I was a student by then and had just bought my first console with my brother, the Metroid GameCube. Loved Prime (never finished, I could only play that in the weekends as the Cube was at my mom's place) and heard good things about Super Metroid. So after I got my SNES I looked for the game. Found it, and hooked it up to the TV in my room. Was at the end of my bed so for a while I tried to play it every morning. Could never have long enough sessions to explore enough and find a new save point, so I gave up at some point. Glad I gave it another chance all these years later, on a system that suits my life a bit better.

The whole Metroid series was something that had my attention even before I had something to play them on, loved all the Prime screenshots in magazines, it's the game that made my dad realize games can be so much more than the game and watch he had years before and it's the game that was the reason for one of my first conversations with B.
  • Good stuff! It really is an amazing game, glad you enjoyed it.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Huzzah! Nice write-up.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Yay good stuff. Top 10 ever for me fo sho. Haven't played through it for ages - will likely do so if I manage to get a SNES mini, but tempted to play Other M for shits and giggles, and the Prime trilogy (where I've only played the first before).
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Yay good stuff. Top 10 ever for me fo sho.

Same.
    acemuzzy wrote:
    but tempted to play Other M for shits and giggles,...

Don’t. Seriously.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I haven't yet.  But I am still kinda curious.  Looking on Wikipedia it had "largely positive" reviews - odd that there's a lot of hate alongside that positivity.

Annnyway...

Super Mario 3D Land (N3DS)

So as per the currently playing thread, I had started this on OG 3DS and found it a bit meh.  Continuing on N3DS, and much less meh - I think a combination of much better 3D & being through the slow start that all mario games seem to have.  Still found it pretty straightforward to hit the credits - 80-odd lives left or something ridic, and often getting 3* on a level without trying very hard.  Feels very different to 3D World - much more compact levels - but that works well given the handheld format.

So yeah, was feeling pretty good about it.  And then went downstairs and found I was only half-way through the total levels.  Like WTF that's a strong ratio even for a Mario game.  And the first of those extras had a new power-up.  Wowzers, lots of content going, when I'd been not that blown away by the generosity.  So that's changed it from a possible 8 to a generous [9], even though I ain't played through many of the extras yet - I can just kinda tell!
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Hmm so I gave 3D World a [8], but I'm not sure I actually preferred 3D Land.

I've become like Edge :-(
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Star Fox 64 3D (N3DS)

What a crock of shit.  Really didn't work for me as a game, do not understand how people have given it's 8s/9s/10s.  Just really meh, the gameplay just sucks - stuff behind you that you can't see, minimap that's useless, controls that are shonky.  Just not fun.  I only blasted through the simplest route, but no desire to replay for other routes.  After the equally-weak Star Fox Zero earlier in the year, this is a franchise I'm happy to see die, despite loving the original loads at the time.

An underwhelmed no-nostalgia-for-me [4].
  • Harsh. It’s a 6 from me.
  • Lylat wars blew me away back on N64 [easy 9].

Guess foxy shizzle hasn't aged well.
  • Yeah, I loved it on N64. Haven't played since but there's no way it can be that bad.
  • Hasn’t aged well sums it up I reckon. I enjoyed it on N64 too but not as much as original on SNES. Haven’t revisited the original (will do so on Mini) but perhaps I just don’t like StarFox style games anymore? Dunno
  • Christ, Star fox on easy path must have taken about 50 minutes to complete. Its a fantastic game.

i liked the scoring system, the different pathways depending on how you play - and theres an extra layer of difficulty hidden by trying to obtain gold medals on each planet. 

Still the highlight of the series for me.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Yup bad aging definitely won't have helped it. And maybe is have more fun having given it a longer play / trying to git gud and did all the paths etc. But i just dont want to.
  • I’ve never gotten the appeal of Star Fox. Played the SNES and n64 ones, both shit.
  • Snes starfox was revolutionary and a good game for its time hampered by the technical limitations of its host platform.
    The sub 10fps and low polycount don't do it any favours today. If there ever was a game ip in need of an update it's this one.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    I dismissed Lylat Wars back in the day. It was Star Fox 64 3D that persuaded me I was wrong.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • I was never taken with Starfox but I'm sure I would've gone berserk for it if it was a Megadrive game. Lylatt Wars was pretty special at the time, and the 3DS update was well put together. Give me Panzer Dragoon any day, but if they did a new on-rails SF with standard controls I'd be in.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Anyways...

Unmechanical: The extended bit (PS4)

More of the same, but the same is pretty good.  Short but [7].
  • Apparently, I've finished Capoka. Sure. Glitchy, but pleasant. Could have done with some more meat and a little more darkness, tbh.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Mirror's Edge: Catalyst. Not sure why I bothered but I plowed on until the end. It was gash. Quite fun dashing around the city but way too many moments of woeful forced combat. Maybe I just didn't bother unlocking enough combat moves but it was frustrating as anything coming up against a bunch of guys with guns and having absolutely no way of avoiding them shooting the crap out of you. In the original (if I remember correctly) you could totally avoid combat. Why they didn't keep it the same I have no idea.
  • That's progress for you...
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Silke
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Silke Neryn
    PSN
    Silke_Neryn
    Steam
    Silke Neryn

Send message
    The Walking Dead: A New Frontier

That I'm met with the news that Telltale lays off 25% of its workforce to focus on fewer, better games with a smaller team certainly doesn't feel like coincidence after playing through this.

Lackluster to say the least, and now just as bad as the TV series.
    It's a world of truck drivers.
  • Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age

Another of those games I always wanted to play but missed out on due to not having a PS2. Certainly lived up to its reputation, and the added autosaves and speed up option helped with some of the more dated aspects of its design. The combat really is excellent - surprised variations of the gambit system haven't made their way into more games since.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Professor Layton and Pandora's Box (DS, on N3DS)

So hmm.  No great.  Felt very similar to the first (admittedly played about a decade ago), but very little difficulty or interest in the puzzles, which is a shame.  Though maybe it's just aimed at a much younger audience - HLTB says 14h but I was done in 8 :-/.

And as for the story.  Jesus.  Like, really really bad.  Given the premise of man is murdered, mysterious object stolen, arrive in strange town, it literally went all out with:
    Spoiler:
    But somehow I'd still quite like to play the third one (which I don't own, despite having the fourth), as it's meant to be better...  and then maybe some of the prequel trilogy... cos the puzzles are just about OK enough to be morish...

Probably a generous [6].
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    JonB wrote:
    Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age Another of those games I always wanted to play but missed out on due to not having a PS2. Certainly lived up to its reputation, and the added autosaves and speed up option helped with some of the more dated aspects of its design. The combat really is excellent - surprised variations of the gambit system haven't made their way into more games since.

Bestest FF.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Updating Forza 7 and Halo 5 on the Scorpio. Huzzah!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!