PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    That's Call Of Duty Infinite Warfare done. What a poor, unsatisfying game. I've cleared every campaign in every cod, and this feels like the most maudlin, trying to be "deep" and "emotional" effort they've done. It bounces off, because COD, and it's absolutely the poorest I've played since Ghosts.
    It's not terrible because these games never are; they're rollercoasters that keep throwing things at you. However, it's a serious disappointment. I really liked Black Ops 3 for going meta as fuck and daring to challenge what a cod campaign was / is. All this adds are turgid side quests and sadness. Avoid.

Told you Reg. ;)

Needed to keep the 100% record going
  • Yakuza 0

I purchased this on a whim because of two reasons. First, I saw someone on GAF rave about it and it was on sale; and I remember playing the first for an hour and never again. 

119 hours later, I would say this is one of my favourite games ever. It's clunky, it has low-calibre intro mission briefing, 80% of the city is non-interactive textures and it has a few technical issues like screen tearing. But on those, who gives a fuck when the rest is soooo good.

The story is gripping enough that I accidentally squashed my nuts when getting up to swap controllers  when my battery went flat in the middle of the final fight. The side-quests are endearingly silly, in the same kind of tone that few games ever manage to get right (Disaster Day of Crisis, Dynamite Cop 2, Katamari Damacy come closest). The combat is next-gen Streets of Rage with a smart upgrade system. 

The minigames in this will be instantly familiar to those who played Super Monkey Ball. The management of clubs and real estate portfolios make the mundane and cringe-inducing utterly engaging. My wife loved dressing up the hostesses, and helped identify things I had missed many times before.

Goro Majima is a phenomenon. His dialogue is part champagne comedy/80s dad jokes ("Slow your roll") and Die Hard ("Your turn is next"). I know cinty is a big fan, but in truth everyone should be. 

In order, the best bits of the game for me were:

1. Kuze, sewers.
    2. Finale.
    3. Beating Mr Shakedown 10 times
    4. Being unable to breath on tele club. My wife was also incapacitated ("Tell me about baby ferrets").
    5. Club Sunshine

Honourable mention goes to the real MVP, Nugget.

[10, the perfect chaser to BOTW and equal in its own special way]
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Agree with all of that. Amazing game and yes, especially, to the following:

1. Nugget!
    2. Dat sewer section
    3. The Hostess club
    4. The phone conversations
    5. The sidequests

And most of all:

Goro Majima.

So happy you enjoyed it, mate. <3
  • Also, you don't need to pretend it was your wife that enjoyed dressing up hostesses. I dug that shit more than I could have imagined.
  • I seem to be sharing Cinty's taste in games lately so I may have to get Yakuza 0.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • How's the combat for non-gamers? Wondering if Ev might like it after FFXV. She's looking for something 'epic and involving rather than arcadey' and at the minute The Witcher 3 is the most obvious choice.
  • Yakuza combat is easier than Witcher combat, and more immediate. I know some people here bounced off of Witcher 3 because the combat can be fiddly, whereas the combat in Yakuza is very fast and brutal.

Both games are epic in different ways. Yakuza epicness comes in Bollywood melodrama flavour and 80s Action movie flavour - more of a constant escalation of combat scenarios designed to get the heart pumping and fists flying.

Witcher has more character and dialogue choices, so might work best if Ev wants to tell her own story, but she might wanna drop the difficulty down if she's not an experienced gamer.

Honestly, both are good shouts. It depends whether you think she'd like something quirky and over the top, or something with a lot of world / character choice and exploration.

Both are amazing.
  • Whichever we go for it'll be a joint effort cos I only got to Fake Ireland in W3, and now I have the Big Donger collection on PC
  • Has she played through the Mass Effect games Tempy?
  • I mean, Yaz 0 is full-on batshit mental, lewd, melodramatic and violent as fuck, usually all with the space of a few minutes. It's also incredibly macho, yet has moments of unbelievable tenderness.

Witcher 3 is more tonally consistent, with occasional comedy quests and scenes. It also has tenderness, and some of the best voicework and writing ever seen in gaming.

Both games are obsessed with shagging, also, but Yakuza (while being more bawdy) is also more prudish about actually showing anything.
  • Has she played through the Mass Effect games Tempy?

Nah but I don't think she'd have the patience for the first. We thought about 2 for a while though.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Whichever we go for it'll be a joint effort cos I only got to Fake Ireland in W3, and now I have the Big Donger collection on PC

Fake Ireland was a decent way through the main quest, depending on what you had done before. So, even though you had a ways to go, you should have a good idea on whether she'd like it or not.

The Witcher 3 DLCs are also very generous indeed, but a step up in difficulty - especially on higher levels.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Has she played through the Mass Effect games Tempy?

Nah but I don't think she'd have the patience for the first. We thought about 2 for a while though.

Yeah that is fair enough, the first has not aged especially well.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Has she played through the Mass Effect games Tempy?

Yeah that is fair enough, the first has not aged especially well.

I really liked number 1 and still play it, but it's deffo much more old school in its approach to combat, inventory management etc. I can understand (even though I don't agree because it's WRONG) why some people jump in at 2 (even though its DEFINITELY WRONG!).
  • But it's oh so right
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    I seem to be sharing Cinty's taste in games lately so I may have to get Yakuza 0.

Do it. Just...don't play it in front of the kids, k?
    Tempy wrote:
    But it's oh so right

...no words.
  • Lol. I won't. 

Ordered Kiwami instead. Loved what I played of original on PS2 but never finished it.
  • Tempy wrote:
    How's the combat for non-gamers? Wondering if Ev might like it after FFXV. She's looking for something 'epic and involving rather than arcadey' and at the minute The Witcher 3 is the most obvious choice.
    I can't say I really enjoyed playing the combat in Yak 0, but the OTT spectacle it makes of it is good fun. The other good news is it's mostly very easy - button mashing will get you far, and is in fact preferable to actually trying to be good at it. It felt like I got punished whenever I tried to do anything clever, so went back to pressing punch, waiting for a little icon that flashes up when a special move is available, and throwing chairs at people's heads.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    @Child, I jumped into the Mass Effect series with 2, had loads of fun with it but it wasn't for me so I've never picked up the 1st or started the 3rd. Can't remember why though, as I have some good memories about the second. Think it's mainly the art style that doesn't do it for me, as I've done quite a bit in that game. Even the grinding for materials didn't bother me and I did that quite a bit.

Looking forward to be able to jump into Yakuza at some point (B is thinking of getting a ps4 after finishing BotW). I've never played one, but I've followed the thread (thanks all for keeping the spoilers in tags) and it seems worth a go.
  • Nina wrote:

Looking forward to be able to jump into Yakuza at some point (B is thinking of getting a ps4 after finishing BotW). I've never played one, but I've followed the thread (thanks all for keeping the spoilers in tags) and it seems worth a go.

I think there's a fair amount that you and B'd like on the PS4, knowing your tastes - Yakuza included.

I imagine BotW will take B a while, but once you get round to it I think you're in for a treat.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Yeah, I'm looking forward to a Last Guardian replay, Yakuza, Persona 5 and Nier. Horizon because B worked on that one, but I'm not expecting to like it as much as some.

B is also looking forward to The Order, mainly cause he still thinks it's the best looking console game out there (and it might be the reason een moved).

I'm pretty sure there's more, but I'm happy with the titles that just pop in my head.
  • Nina wrote:
    Yeah, I'm looking forward to a Last Guardian replay, Yakuza, Persona 5 and Nier. Horizon because B worked on that one, but I'm not expecting to like it as much as some.

B is also looking forward to The Order, mainly cause he still thinks it's the best looking console game out there (and it might be the reason een moved).

I'm pretty sure there's more, but I'm happy with the titles that just pop in my head.

Aye, that's a solid list - especially since several of those games are 40+ hours. That'll keep you both busy.
  • Pyre.

What a strange little game. Absolutely happy I've played it, it's utterly gorgeous, but it's such a strange experience.

In a lot of respects so well put together, but then there's all these little odd contrasts. The one fully voiced character is amazing, yet it leans on text based stuff heavily.

The meat of the game is bizarro griffball. More immediate than you think it might be, but also more convoluted. The structure of getting to the griffball bits is really poorly paced early on, despite some solid writing and a cool premise.

Its very stop start.

I just don't know.

Definitely enjoyed it, and definitely think I stuck with it as it's clearly so lovingly made.

11 hrs it took. Branching storyline in some sense, and I suspect some different endings possible. Not sure i will go again though.

I'm still great and you still love it.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I don't think anyone's mentioned but the Yakuza series has an Easy difficulty level and I believe you can change difficulty at any point from the Options menu.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Finished them rabbids. Thoughts on the fucking rbabids in the bunny thread
  • I completed Gone Home in one sitting. I loved it. Such a lovely...sweet story. I was delighted by the ending. Such detail in the game too..The pacing was rather unusual. I wanted to take my time,linger and soak up the atmosphere and try and find every detail I could but at the same time I wanted push forward to find out where the story was going.
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    My biggest gripe would be that some of the handwritten letters were quiet difficult to read.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Pokemon Moon

Best Pokemans. I thought the island challenges thing was a great refresh of the tired gym formula (see spoiler, though). I also liked the quality of life tweaks they made - the game remembering which moves were effective versus which pokemon was top. Long gone are the days when I could hold all the types and their match ups in my head, so that was very welcome.
    Spoiler:

[9] one shot kills faints out of [10] "What the fuck is that thing?" moments
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Oh, and I did like the "give your Pokemans fussing and treats after a fight" feature, but there needs to be an alternative for the less, um, cutesy 'mons. Tickling Litten under the chin is fine, but I really didn't like stroking Incineroar's pects. Felt a bit off, that.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • barren_sky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Tele Viper
    PSN
    barren_sky
    Steam
    Tele_Viper

Send message
    I completed Gone Home in one sitting. I loved it. .

If you liked Gone Home, definitely give Everybody's Gone to the Rapture a shot. Strolling through that cute little town, trying to figure out what the heck happened there was mesmerizing for me. The story is not as grounded in reality as Gone Home, but the characters are. Excellent voice acting and music too.
    British Columbia, Canada
  • What Remains of Edith Finch is top tier.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!