Obscure Games Age and Alcohol Have Made You Forget - An Appeal
  • An isometric shooter/puzzler where a science lab in a skyscraper goes mental and a load of robots and giant viruses escape and start killing everyone. You were a clean up/rescue guy with a gun that you could bounce laser blasts off the walls to switch switches, solve puzzles and rescue scientists. It was on the Amiga, or was it C64? Anyway, it was great.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Did anyone else play interstate 76, about 97/98 I think? I think it got slated by the critics but I loved that game. Muscle cars, power slides while firing cannons from your roof and 70s guitar music. Perfection.

yes I played that
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Gremill wrote:
    An isometric shooter/puzzler where a science lab in a skyscraper goes mental and a load of robots and giant viruses escape and start killing everyone. You were a clean up/rescue guy with a gun that you could bounce laser blasts off the walls to switch switches, solve puzzles and rescue scientists. It was on the Amiga, or was it C64? Anyway, it was great.
    thanks for reminding me of a game i can't remember the name of!
    mk64 wrote:
    Did anyone else play interstate 76, about 97/98 I think? I think it got slated by the critics but I loved that game. Muscle cars, power slides while firing cannons from your roof and 70s guitar music. Perfection.
    yes I played that
    me too. it was ace.  sure it reviewed pretty well too.  there was a sequel in the 80s i think that did less well though
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    It might be the reviews of the 80s version I'm remembering. I didn't play that one though. I would love a remake of 76. That's the problem with 3d games, they age so badly compared to more basic graphics.
  • Did anyone else play interstate 76, about 97/98 I think? I think it got slated by the critics but I loved that game. Muscle cars, power slides while firing cannons from your roof and 70s guitar music. Perfection.
    "You're wrong. Jade was a fighter!" in a Samuel Jackson style. 

About all I remember of it though. Vaguely open world 3D, which was probably amazing at the time.
  • Gremill wrote:
    An isometric shooter/puzzler where a science lab in a skyscraper goes mental and a load of robots and giant viruses escape and start killing everyone. You were a clean up/rescue guy with a gun that you could bounce laser blasts off the walls to switch switches, solve puzzles and rescue scientists. It was on the Amiga, or was it C64? Anyway, it was great.

D Generation?
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Gremill wrote:

D Generation?

That's the one!

Gamertag: gremill
  • I got one for you all. The first game I ever played was on some sort of console that had a keyboard on the main unit, I was only about 5 at the time so have no idea what it was.

Anyway the game I remember playing on it was very similar to Combat on the Atari VCS/2600.

It might have had multiple modes but the one thats stuck in my mind was with cowboys, when you shot the bulliet stayed on the screen for a while and bounced around the scenery.

Anyone have any ideas on the game or console? Not long after playing this I was bought an Atari which blew my mind and erased most of my 5 year old memories of this oddity.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Sounds like the Philips G7000....I can remember playing some sort of artillery game on it with 2 men on a landscape. It had a decent Pacman ripoff called MK Munchkin or some such tosh.

PhilipsVideopac.jpg
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Philips is... not good.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Known as the Odyssey 2 in certain parts. Had some success in mainland Europe not surprisingly.

The carts came with quite a few modes and mode selection was the main use for the keyboard - think there were some educational games and word games but overall the keyboard wasn't used much. There was one game that came with a board and all sorts of tokens, cards and such like ...

EDIT: Quest for the Rings it was called...

http://computermuseum.50megs.com/brands/g7000.htm
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Liveinadive has reminded me that there's a cartoon I watched in the early '90s on a sick day off school that I can't recall the name of. It was kinda feature length and was about some big race that was being run by different animals I think. Had some real life footage in it too iirc, kinda like Bedknobs and Broomsticks. I don't think it had much talking in it, if any at all, just lots of music. 

Also, what was that cartoon series that was on early mornings before/during DJ Kat show that had a duckling as the main character... Can't remember much more than that. I used to get up at stupid o'clock to watch it.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • davyK wrote:
    Sounds like the Philips G7000....

davy you absolute legend, looks like my game too:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunfighter_(Videopac_game)

eBay beckons...
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • hylian_elf wrote:

Also, what was that cartoon series that was on early mornings before/during DJ Kat show that had a duckling as the main character... Can't remember much more than that. I used to get up at stupid o'clock to watch it.
    Alfred J. Kwak? I'd provide a link but I'm on the mobile.
  • Reminds me of the Diplidos
    diplodo5.jpg
  • A cartoon series where a boy went to sleep in the title sequence and floated in a bubble to some kind of fantasy land. There was a dark mountain, within: bad dragon.
  • Reminds me of the Diplidos
    diplodo5.jpg

Nostalgia-gasm!
  • Tempy wrote:
    A cartoon series where a boy went to sleep in the title sequence and floated in a bubble to some kind of fantasy land. There was a dark mountain, within: bad dragon.

Boy or bear-type-thing? If latter, you'll be thinking of Dreamstone. Bad dragon is Zordrac. I loved that series. The title song was great. "Better than a dream" or some such.

juppposter.jpg
  • monkey wrote:
    hylian_elf wrote:

Alfred J. Kwak? I'd provide a link but I'm on the mobile.

Might be it, but I'm not 100% sure, very hazy memories.

Anymore suggestions? I'm sure the right pics/images will jog my memory.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Through the Bear's Eye?
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I used to watch Captain N and grumble about what they'd done to Simon Belmont.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Just watched the Charlie Brooker show and despite the final Twitter wank it wasn't that bad. 

The Elite bit in particular got m thinking again.

Does anyone know of the game where you were in space around a planet, then landed on it. It was all wire frames like Elite?

I want to say Sentinel, but it's obviously not that.
  • Revenge_of_the_Mutant_Camels_-_1992_-_Llamasoft.jpg

Sorry boris, no help to you but I just remembered this.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Got my hopes up then. Fuck!!
  • bibidybobbidyboo
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @martingwilliams
    Xbox
    bordude
    PSN
    bibidybobbidyboo
    Wii
    bordude / bibidybobbidyboo

Send message
    b0r1s wrote:
    Got my hopes up then. Fuck!!

Was it Captain Blood?
    Twitter: Mr Three-Dee@martingwilliams
  • bibidybobbidyboo
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @martingwilliams
    Xbox
    bordude
    PSN
    bibidybobbidyboo
    Wii

Send message
    Other possibilities:

Echelon
    Voyager
    FOFT
    Starglider
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Not Captain Blood, though I remember playing it on my ST. Think this was older and just wireframe not solid polygons.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Found it after googling this:

atari 800xl game wireframe land on planet perform missions

Mercenary and you crash landed on the planet Targ :-)

Mercenary_amstrad_version_cover.jpg
  • bibidybobbidyboo
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @martingwilliams
    Xbox
    bordude
    PSN
    bibidybobbidyboo
    Wii

Send message
    b0r1s wrote:
    Found it after googling this: atari 800xl game wireframe land on planet perform missions Mercenary and you crash landed on the planet Targ :-) Mercenary_amstrad_version_cover.jpg

Cool! I had forgotten about that, but I remember playing it on my Commodore Amiga and it was brilliant. I have actually just bought an Atari 800XL, maybe I should give the game I try on that machine!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!