Obscure Games Age and Alcohol Have Made You Forget - An Appeal
  • Escape wrote:
    Treasure Island's not only the best Plus/4 game, it's one of the best games ever written.

Consult this, friends.
    This is great.
  • That's lovely. Needs a remake! Maybe a roguelike. Just looking at that map really brings it back. Why do we find the most basic games with hardly any detail so memorable? It's because your imagination makes up the rest that's why. Love it.
  • There was a ZX Spectrum game at the end of the cassette version of one of Shakin' Stevens' albums.

It was great, and by great I mean not great.

Played it but can't remember a thing about it.
  • FranticPea wrote:
    Text adventure on the Spectrum. It was set in the future, I assume, post apocalyptic. I think. I have very vague memories of it. I remember you could drink from a puddle, then you'd die from radiation. Been bugging me for years. Pretty sure your character was a child.

@Pea it wasn't one of the Arctic ones was it? Adventure G: Ground Zero?
  • Can anyone remember an isometric 2 player game, I think it was on the mega drive but might have been the SNES. I think you played as one of two brothers and had to fight aliens (probably). I remember there being an escalator in one of the levels and I think you had to disable some generators.

Not much to go on but hopefully it jogs someone's memory. It wasn't the zombie game on the SNES.

Sure it's not escape from te planet of the robot monsters?
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • My second ever Amiga game!  I hope it's that.

I love these threads.
  • FranticPea wrote:
    Text adventure on the Spectrum. It was set in the future, I assume, post apocalyptic. I think. I have very vague memories of it. I remember you could drink from a puddle, then you'd die from radiation. Been bugging me for years. Pretty sure your character was a child.

144874-mindfighter-zx-spectrum-screenshot-commandss.png

Mindfighter?  Set in post-nuclear Southampton?  You played an 11 year old called Robin.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I'd often wondered where Escape comes from. Good to know finally.
  • adored wrote:
    There was a ZX Spectrum game at the end of the cassette version of one of Shakin' Stevens' albums. It was great, and by great I mean not great. Played it but can't remember a thing about it.
    That's amazing.
  • mk64 wrote:
    Puzzle game on the Amiga 500. It was a cover disk game so may never have seen the full light of day. Essentially there were little coloured balls moving through tubes(?) and they would get to chambers which were round. The chambers could hold more than one ball and you rotated the chambers to keep the balls moving. Different levels, different amounts of Chambers irrc. Colourful game. Level screens didn't move they were fixed like Tetris which only the balls and Chamber things moving. That's all I've got..

I can picture that, it sounds a bit like the old MB board game called something like Downfall?
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    mk64 wrote:
    Can anyone remember an isometric 2 player game, I think it was on the mega drive but might have been the SNES. I think you played as one of two brothers and had to fight aliens (probably). I remember there being an escalator in one of the levels and I think you had to disable some generators. Not much to go on but hopefully it jogs someone's memory. It wasn't the zombie game on the SNES.

That sounds like the one.
  • mk64 wrote:
    Can anyone remember an isometric 2 player game, I think it was on the mega drive but might have been the SNES. I think you played as one of two brothers and had to fight aliens (probably). I remember there being an escalator in one of the levels and I think you had to disable some generators. Not much to go on but hopefully it jogs someone's memory. It wasn't the zombie game on the SNES.
    That sounds like the one.

• GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Yes! That's the one, cheers. I didn't realise that it was that old. Must have played it on the spectrum.
  • Hurry up Frantic, I want to know if I was right with Mindfighter.
  • Elmlea wrote:
    Puzzle game on the Amiga 500. It was a cover disk game so may never have seen the full light of day. Essentially there were little coloured balls moving through tubes(?) and they would get to chambers which were round. The chambers could hold more than one ball and you rotated the chambers to keep the balls moving. Different levels, different amounts of Chambers irrc. Colourful game. Level screens didn't move they were fixed like Tetris which only the balls and Chamber things moving. That's all I've got..
    I can picture that, it sounds a bit like the old MB board game called something like Downfall?

YES - conceptually alot like that
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • I think it was an Amiga Power disk.  Can you remember the year, even roughly?
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Just looking at that map really brings it back.

From Mr. Micro with love. There's a kinship between Treasure Island and the first GTA. And then of course latter GTAs. Tremendous advances have been made in tech terms, but a great many newcoded ideas were in the heads of old-school creatives, often - indebted to small teams - with sharper clarity and more depth.

I've always argued that the ideas from that era were stronger, so I agree with Cerny's recent comments on the creative rise and fall during and after the PS1. The early 3D years were loaded with 8-bit remakes in all but name.

Treasure Island had a hand-drawn map; it had freeform play; it had more than one type of tree, because 8-bit programmers were architects of their own acclaim. Publishers shafted harder than ever in those days (see Kevin Toms' indie wealth), and that still hasn't been overcome.

Digressing, I've never been pro- or anti-piracy, but with films as games, I'd like to pay those responsible for bringing me entertainment. Films desperately need to slash their marketing and rely on Kickstarter-inspired online releases. Cinemas, for their part, need to up their game pronto. Comfy chairs at the minimum for our ticket prices.

Yossarian wrote:
    I'd often wondered where Escape comes from. Good to know finally.

My running style's still camp.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Elmlea wrote:
    mqdefault.jpg

Nope, definitely in colour.  I don't think I played it on the commodore. I'm sure it was on a console but as far as I can tell it wasn't released on one. Regardless, that was the game.
  • Elmlea wrote:
    I think it was an Amiga Power disk.  Can you remember the year, even roughly?

It would be Amiga power or more likely Amiga Action as that's what I had a sub too. Could be power though as my mate had a sub for that. I would say no earlier than 90 as I doubt I was younger than 8.
  • WorKid wrote:
    Some sort of NES game with a boat going up a river, and probably there were some whirlpools. Again probably isometric.

Dont think anyone responded but I do believe that you are thinking of Cobra Triangle by Rare

Looks pretty decent for a NES game.
    SFV - reddave360
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    FranticPea wrote:

@Pea it wasn't one of the Arctic ones was it? Adventure G: Ground Zero?

No :(

Elmlea wrote:
    FranticPea wrote:

144874-mindfighter-zx-spectrum-screenshot-commandss.png

Mindfighter?  Set in post-nuclear Southampton?  You played an 11 year old called Robin.

Yes!! Thank you!!

I might try and get a copy.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    WorKid wrote:
    Some sort of NES game with a boat going up a river, and probably there were some whirlpools. Again probably isometric.

Maybe this one??

Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Not a game but has been bugging me for ages now.

When I was a kid I had Peter Pan vhs.
    It wasn't Disney or the "Peter Pan and the pirates" show but was animated.

I had it before starting school so some point between 1986 and 1990.

The case was white with red pin stripe and a square picture of the movie on the front.
    There were a series of these films including Treasure island. All appeared to have the same style.

The production company had a logo that was a red square with black text written across it.
  • It's not this is it:

• RedDave2 wrote:
    WorKid wrote:

Dont think anyone responded but I do believe that you are thinking of Cobra Triangle by Rare

Looks pretty decent for a NES game.

Very likely to be that one. Only there were definitely whirlpools.

• It's not this is it:

Yup, that's the one.
    Well remembered.

Christ it looks awful, I loved that film when I was a kid. Guess I remembered the logo wrong.
  • damn.  i'm trying to think of a game that i can't remember so that i can take part in this.  i also would have gotten the cybernator question, are there points for this?
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Did anyone else play interstate 76, about 97/98 I think? I think it got slated by the critics but I loved that game. Muscle cars, power slides while firing cannons from your roof and 70s guitar music. Perfection.
  • Never played it but, IIRC, Interstate '76 was fairly well recieved by the critics.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!