Witcher 2

• The Kayran is fucking me up on Dark difficulty, but I'm too stubborn to lower it. Oh well, the game will last me longer. Just need another 8 hour session this weekend.
  • Spent most of today playing this so far (thank you mayor elections shutting down school for voting!) and been really enjoying it.  Finished off Act 2 and started Act 3 and the story has really kicked up a gear.  I particularly like how the choices are not necessarily good or evil, but whats best for the country or whats best for Geralt.  Had some real headscratchers in there so far.
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  •   Had some real headscratchers in there so far.

Just you wait until you reach the giant hallucinogenic chicken. 
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • @Blocks100:  That was ridiculously mental!  I loved the fact that you could then lie about it, but actually, the best route was to tell the truth.
  • Silke
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Silke Neryn
    PSN
    Silke_Neryn
    Steam
    Silke Neryn

Send message
    Nick said:

The Kayran is fucking me up on Dark difficulty, but I'm too stubborn to lower it. Oh well, the game will last me longer. Just need another 8 hour session this weekend.

Donning my 15+ Blasphemer armour right now, hoping it will give me something of a fighting chance. Not that hopeful though, considering the fact that nekkers still tend to plough me down. 

But it does have a rather nice black look to it.
    It's a world of truck drivers.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Where the hell is the giant chicken? Missed that on my first playthrough.
  • Silke
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Silke Neryn
    PSN
    Silke_Neryn
    Steam
    Silke Neryn

Send message

Where the hell is the giant chicken? Missed that on my first playthrough.

It's only accessible if picking hot-tempered Roche as your bro for chapter 2. Then you need to be on the quest "The Path to Vision" and speak with The Visionary, an emaciated fellow who lives in a hut by the sea. He has this very special brew that he needs you to try out.

Say yes and swallow.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Cheers. I only did the knife-ears side of events.
  • Don't worry Bollockoff, you didn't miss much.  It was just a very bizarre moment.  I was expecting some dreamlike fight against otherwordly demons.

I got a giant chicken and a mushroom that really looked like a penis.

• This game made me sad. After playing the tutorial it said i should play on easy :-(

It somewhat dented my self esteem as a hardened rpg type game player.

Ive changed it to hard anyway, fuck you tutorial advice!
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    That tutorial is fucking batshit anyway. 
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Although I got normal :)
  • I got easy and stuck with it. Makes it a bit of a breeze, but there's a few sections I can imagine being controller through the TV, even on normal.
  • @I_R: I completely agree.  I was given easy and chose to stick with it.  It did get a tad too easy, however I can imagine there being some very frustrating moments.
  • I just got this, got easy, and chose normal. My  Dark Souls comparisons will commence tomorrow after I've given this more of a chance.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Not everything in life is comparable to Dark Souls you know.

Just enjoy Witcher 2 for what it is:  A proper Western RPG with some lovely visuals, overly punishing boss fights (you should be at home there) and some dodgy combat mechanics.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I'm going to try this with the xbox pad on the pc later, see if it makes the combat a bit more manageable.
  • play this game on easy first run through, end of

there's signifiant reasons for 2 runs
  • Blocks100 wrote:
    Not everything in life is comparable to Dark Souls you know. Just enjoy Witcher 2 for what it is:  A proper Western RPG with some lovely visuals, overly punishing boss fights (you should be at home there) and some dodgy combat mechanics.

You ain't kidding.
  • Hmm, still though, have cracked through most of the prologue now, there's a lot to like. Is there a way of not crab handing confirming items and magic from the lb menu?
  • Blocks100 wrote:
    Not everything in life is comparable to Dark Souls you know.
    Just fantasy RPGs with a heavy emphasis on the combat.

Does this have a heavy emphasis on combat? I'd like to play it but can in no way afford the outlay.
  • I'd say it's pretty combat orientated yes.  It's not worth the silly money being asked for on consoles, although on PC you can pick it up dirt cheap now.
  • With trades I picked it up for Aus$35.

It was in shops at full retail for $70-80 out here. (Given that new releases go up to $110-120 that's not bad.)

And yeah, I'll compare this to DS any day of the week. It's a third person action/fantasy RPG ffs.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Nothing compares to DS and you know it.
  • Silke
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Silke Neryn
    PSN
    Silke_Neryn
    Steam
    Silke Neryn

Send message
    Blocks100 wrote:
    Not everything in life is comparable to Dark Souls you know.
    Just fantasy RPGs with a heavy emphasis on the combat.

Very true, was halfway through The Witcher 2 on Dark difficulty, flailing around wildly in the pitch black mines of Vergen while drugged up on Cat, when I started to have this urge to play the real thing again. 

Now I'm back in Dark Souls NG++ and why the fuck did I ever leave?
  • I'm playing this on the 360 and idk, the plot is awesome but I can't get into the gameplay at the moment, have only just got to escaping prison bit, though. I mean the plot is awesome but the combat feels... Lacklustre, and is there any way at all to change the camera sensitivity? It's really, really hard to try and aim because of how sensitive it is.
  • Silke
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Silke Neryn
    PSN
    Silke_Neryn
    Steam
    Silke Neryn

Send message
    Well, what I did was to turn the automatic camera off. I found it turning way to fast and since I’m the kind of player who loves to freely control the camera and watch my characters from different angles while walking, I really had no other choice anyway. 

It can make some fights a bit difficult, you might have to work both the right analouge stick and the face buttons in the middle of possible death, but – here’s the thing – it also makes a lot of the targeting easier since you’re in complete control.
  • Jesus fuck the camera/"lock on" thing is fucking shiteful in this game.

It's completely counter-intuitive, and there's just no reason that I've seen so far why locking on, meaning that you ACTUALLY FUCKING LOCKED ON AND STAYED LOOKING AT THE ENEMY wouldn't be infinitely better. Why would I ever want to randomly shoot my fire move t a wall in the complete opposite direction to where my enemies are? The dumb thing is, they've done a good job of letting you switch between enemies, if they'd just make it more of a solid concept, it'd be much more fluid. It'd also be nice, given how clearly vital the stamina bar is, if it was much more prominent.

I'm also yet to see a reason why the camera needs to be so close. And why it's so fucking touchy with picking stuff up, and why you can seemingly keep finding loot in the same spot and/or not collect it all in one hit.

Amongst all that though, it keeps hinting at being quite cool in a lot of respects.
  • Silke
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Silke Neryn
    PSN
    Silke_Neryn
    Steam
    Silke Neryn

Send message
    It is quite cool, even a bit loveable if you like your fantasy political – fuck, I even dig the weighty feel of the sword swings and battles in general when everything in them works as it should. 

The problem, of course, is that it seldom does.
  • Good chunk of progress today.

Tell you what though, almost MGS level of cut scenes. Some good, some bad. At it's best, the game is stunning, but damn if it doesn't fluctuate wildly.

Can get $25 for it on trade if I polish it off relatively quickly though, so that's good.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!