I'm bored of (mindless) killing.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I think they'd need much better AI to have limited ammo. I can't think of a single game where I don't think I'd be able to use the ammo thing to make it piss easy.
  • Sorry, that was just a thought that occurred to me as part of the discussion, nothing to do with the overall thread or AI.
  • Even Halo on Legendary?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Who's that question aimed at?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Halo on Legendary ain't all that hard now. Remember, the last two Halo games I played I whacked up to Legendary for the first play-through. Being able to make enemies run out of ammo would have only made it easier.
  • Easier yes, but piss easy?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Without much better AI, pretty much. At the moment, what would an enemy do if they're low on ammo? Their only option is to rush you with whatever ammo they have left as they're running low. All you'd have to do is duck behind cover and pop out occasionally to get the enemies shooting and pretty soon you'd have every enemy in an area running towards you one after the other. Putting down individual enemies with a plasma pistol + BR/DMR combo on Halo isn't tough, even on Legendary.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    They could fall back to a supply dump, or have ammo brought forward to them. That could be an extra strategy, take out the ammo runners to isolate a group of enemies. Games like halo wouldn't work because it's just not that type of game, but a realistic or semi realistic shooter would benefit from it.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Also, the AI would need to be better at coordinating its attacks, one to the rear near the ammo provides covering fire and suppression while a group move to flank you.
  • Going back to the OP's point, I've recently been a bit indifferent to gaming and I think it's because all the games I have at the moment seem to be ones filled with bleak settings and dark gameplay, full of killing and relentless horror/tension.

I decided to borrow Super Mario 3D Land this week and it's already seen more game time than anything I own has seen in the last two weeks. I honestly believe that Nintendo magic, or even just the fun element that the likes of Mario can bring to games, is all I was missing.

I guess maybe we all need to play something fun and colourful once in a while, to offset the endless violence and darkness that fills our games these days.

Just a thought.
  • Moto70 wrote:
    What do we mean by 'slightly futuristic'? I don't remember SWAT 4 being futuristic at all? Also you could non-lethally clear every level, I know because I have done it with 2 mates. It really was a game that needed playing in co-op and to this day I still can't understand why it has never been remade...

I think SWAT was openly set in like 2016 or something like that. I don't dispute you could non-lethal every level, I have a half-complete non-lethal playthrough still on my HD.  It just got extremely hard towards the end, when bad guys had assault rifles, lots of backup, and body armour.  Even when you had them wriggling around in a cloud of CS gas, lots of them just wouldn't give up!  Warning shots sometimes miss.  By which I mean hit.  So that got annoying.

I never thought about it in co-op.  Controlling your squadmates was so much fun.
  • I do like a game where killing isn't always required, Hitman: Blood Money is a good example.

Man, how could I forget that; the satisfaction of leaving somewhere with just your target dead in an apparent accident was incredible, and all the more so when you realised you could just run around with 8 weapons and kill everyone in the whole place if you wanted.
    Its not about stealth for me. Its about the AI having a sense of self preservation, a fight or flight response. I would like them to have priorities.  Is continuing to try and kill me, considering the current likely hood of them failing to do so and being killed by me, going to have a better outcome than them not trying to kill me and surrendering/escaping and having to face whatever consequences might arise from that course of action.

You should try SWAT 4.  They'd have a morale level, invisible to you, but it'd decrease if you yelled at them, if you hit them with flashbangs or gas grenades, or if you fired weapons to show willing, or if you injured them, or if they found their mates' corpses etc etc.  All of those factors went into deciding whether he'd run, stand and fight, or just drop his weapon and surrender.  Very clever.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Elmlea wrote:
    You should try SWAT 4.
    It really does sound like there would be a market for a remake...
  • It's still entirely playable now, I still have my discs! :)
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I played the demo to one of the swat games years ago and loved it. Kinect 2 with voice commands is crying out for a remake. Shouting at the TV will never have been so fun.
  • I liked the Tom Clancy games that used the headset mic for commands to your subordinates, and fed their feedback through it.  Awesome.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    If Kinect 2 is as sensitive as described then there is a use for it straight away, silent hand signals to control your squad. You could have it where button commands or spoken if playing co-op could alert the enemy whereas any hand/arm signals could be replicated by your character...
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Did anyone try SWAT 2? It was a top-down RTS where you could control negotiations to a limited extent and even send some grub round for the perps. A very different game to 3 & 4 but still tons of fun.

• GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Flat hand up = stop
    Hand pushing to the ground = take a knee/cover
    It could be very impressive if someone were to implement it well.
  • I've been playing Deathspank recently. I'm really not bored with mindless killing yet.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    This game actually had the type of ai I am talking about. A sense of self preservation.

If too many had died, the odds were overwhelming, or they were simply not made of the right stuff, they would surrender, or attempt to withdraw, ignoring your orders. It seems common in proper RTS games but less so in other genres.
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    Did anyone try SWAT 2? It was a top-down RTS where you could control negotiations to a limited extent and even send some grub round for the perps. A very different game to 3 & 4 but still tons of fun.
    Yup! Still have my copy somewhere, too.
  • The first two SWATs are available as a pack on Good Old Games for $10, the same price for the so-called "Tactical Game of the Year Edition" of SWAT 3. Might just give them both a try.
  • Do it, you'll enjoy SWAT 3.  It only falls down in later levels where it tries to get too clever for its own AI.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Mod74 wrote:
    I haven't been watching that closely, but I think it might be possible to do Metro Last Light without killing anyone.

It definitely isn't possible to finish Last Light without killing anyone, however there is an Achievement for

Shadow Ranger
    Complete the game without killing any Humans unless forced to.
  • i too am somewhat tired of it all. i missed out on bioshock infinite and dishonoured mostly because they were violent fps games. i just cba. probably a few others as well that i saw stuff about and just filed under not interested.

that said i do love a good resi game and did enjoy sleeping dogs so maybe i'm a hypocrite...

another reason why i liked vanquish/binary domain so much. all the bad guys being robots kinda removed the violence in a "hero turtles" kind of way.
  • metagonzo
    Show networks
    Xbox
    MetaGonzo
    Steam
    metagonzo

Send message
    You can play dishonoured without harming a sole can't you?
    XBL, iOS, Steam: metagonzo
  • Yeah you can.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • I dunno, I reckon some of the climbing and falling would probably scuff his boots good and proper.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!