I'm bored of (mindless) killing.
  • I remember the EDGE review of Doom 2, where they wondered if the game might have been improved with the ability to talk to the 'creatures'.

Perhaps not, but I do agree that games could certainly offer more variety in enemy responses.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • Also, the final disc of Shenmue II, is a beautiful, and totally non-violent, experience.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • The different approaches angle certainly has to work within the context of the game, for sure. Something like Doom or Quake would be silly with a pacification option, for example.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Yeah, but something like Battlefield, where you have just single handedly wiped out 10 baddies, and there are 1 or 2 guys left, it would be quiet nice if they would think about self preservation and lay down their weapons and surrender.  You could build in a mechanic where if you regularly execute surrendies then the enemy are less likely to surrender and will fight harder. Goon No1 and Goon No2 really have no need to fight to the death to stop you killing their boss, unless you have been summarily executing all of their friends.
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    SWAT 3 was the slightly futuristic one wasn't it? I remember they had funky looking biker helmets anyway. Played SWAT 4 loads when I got it but my loadouts never seemed to be anything other than pepper ball guns making entire rooms cloudy while I spam the ON YOUR KNEES key. I remember the mission where you go into some psycho's basement. That was good. Props to any game that allows you to use doorstops to ruin someones day.

That was the second level on SWAT 4, I actually played through it (and the Stetchkov Syndicate add-on, or whatever it was called) again last year.  SWAT 4 was just SWAT 3 with slightly better graphics and AI that worked, though.  It was extremely satisfying, especially when you managed to do something decent while remotely controlling half your squad.  

It just got too tricky though; too many very big levels with heavily armed bad guys.  The ones with a handful of people that you could actually arrest were best.  Great game.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    What do we mean by 'slightly futuristic'? I don't remember SWAT 4 being futuristic at all?

Also you could non-lethally clear every level, I know because I have done it with 2 mates. It really was a game that needed playing in co-op and to this day I still can't understand why it has never been remade...
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I like shooting people in the face.
  • Sasukekun wrote:
    Isn't it possible to finish all the Metal Gear Solid games without killing anyone?

Except where the story calls for it, yes.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Vela wrote:
    Sasukekun wrote:
    Isn't it possible to finish all the Metal Gear Solid games without killing anyone?
    Except where the story calls for it, yes.
    This is what made me get a PS3, I played the first level of MGS4 and loved the stealth element.
  • Always really appreciated that one couldn't eliminate a single critter in Knytt Stories and had to make do with being hot at acrobatics instead. If I'm not going to have to outfight things, there better be some kind of challenge to sink teeth into.
  • Oddworld stranger is another one. You can capture bounties dead or alive (dead is much easier, alive can be a brutally difficult challenge).

Then it becomes an incredibly violent exercise later in the game. But a good one.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Catching them alive was a piece of piss. Thudd Sluggs FTW.
    Yossarian wrote:
    I like shooting people in the face.

On reflection, I feel this isn't a wholly accurate description of what I like in my shooters. I also like shooting things in the face.
  • I had the same feelings with Tomb Raider and the recent Bioshock.  Both games that I enjoyed on the whole with quite good combat in and of itself, but too much of it, but it mostly just detracted from what I was really into ie: exploring the beautiful and well realised settings.  In tomb raider specificially i thought it was doing a good enough job of slowly transforming her from a terrified victim into the badass we all know and love without making her kill dozens of henchmen every 5 minutes. 

shooting people i guess is just one of the tropes that needs to be in a big time console games (walking slowly and talking into a walkie talkie with an ally about the next level, running out out a building what is exploding and on fire, frantic violin music that accompanies a big reveal etc etc) with all the money in play.  has to look like the other proven sellers. 

TR would have been a better game were their no shootouts at all, be its own game, everyone ive spoken to about it was surprised at the lack of actual tomb raiding.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Cracking avatar Wario, it reminds me of my time working for McLaren at the US GP. It was my CD of choice while driving from Chicago to Indianapolis in our Mustang convertible, good times.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Eels is music aimed at younger people and will alienate most music listeners with its non-music features. Fucking record companies. Wavy wavy music.
  • Cracking avatar Wario, it reminds me of my time working for McLaren at the US GP. It was my CD of choice while driving from Chicago to Indianapolis in our Mustang convertible, good times.

Cheers mate. 

Sounds like awesome times for you.  Takes me back to my first proper job back in 2001, playing it in the office and being politely asked to turn it off halfway through That's Not Really Funny.  Philistines.

Not quite as awesome playing it in a Mustang Convertable, sadly.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • RetroGam3r
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @RetroGam3r
    PSN
    JIM-N-A
    Steam
    RetroGam3r

Send message
    Mark of the ninja can be beaten without violence. Best stealth game out there
    Checkout my site: www.gertlushgaming.co.uk  Friend Code: 1392-5016-6947. Town: Brizzle Name:Jim
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Its not about stealth for me. Its about the AI having a sense of self preservation, a fight or flight response. I would like them to have priorities.  Is continuing to try and kill me, considering the current likely hood of them failing to do so and being killed by me, going to have a better outcome than them not trying to kill me and surrendering/escaping and having to face whatever consequences might arise from that course of action.
  • I do like a game where killing isn't always required, Hitman: Blood Money is a good example.

I remember getting really irritated in GTA4 when you're forced to kill Vladimir Glebov (the first bad guy that you have to execute down by the docks somewhere), I actually just drove off and left him with Roman. Couldn't do any other missions obviously and when I got back he was still there pacing back and forwards.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Good posts up there Goober. Funny that devs spend plenty of time on the enemy AI, ensuring they attack you in varied and inventive ways, reacting on the fly to your actions, but they never turn tail when you get the upper hand. Closest I've seen was the grunt arse droppage when you take out an elite in Halo.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    When you've wiped out the majority of the enemies in a particular area in Rage, the remaining ones fall back and regroup a bit further away from you.

I like shooting them in the back of the head as they leg it.
  • They get bonus points for calling you a "wanker" too.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    When you've wiped out the majority of the enemies in a particular area in Rage, the remaining ones fall back and regroup a bit further away from you. I like shooting them in the back of the head as they leg it.
    I've got that, barring a 15 minute co-op session with Franticle it's gone unplayed. I thing I need to rectify that situation.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    They get bonus points for calling you a "wanker" too.

They do, however, lose marks, for witnessing me headshotting one of their friends as they lean out from cover to work out where I am only to immediately run to the exact same piece of cover and lean out to work out where I am thus placing their heads in the exact same place that their friend's head was in when, just moments before, I blew it clean off their shoulders with my hand-cannon.
  • By which you mean penis?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    @Paul, I really enjoyed it. It's not perfect by any means, but I thought it was a solid shooter.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    By which you mean penis?

I need more than one hand for that.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    By which you mean penis?
    I need more than one hand for that.
    One to burrow into the pube bush, one to hold the magnifying glass.
  • Good posts up there Goober. Funny that devs spend plenty of time on the enemy AI, ensuring they attack you in varied and inventive ways, reacting on the fly to your actions, but they never turn tail when you get the upper hand. Closest I've seen was the grunt arse droppage when you take out an elite in Halo.

In Metal Gear Solid 3, each area often has an armoury or a food store. If you destroy them with TNT or C4, enemies in the area will have decreased morale, stamina and/or reduced ammo. Further, you can shoot their radios and stop them calling for backup support, or hold them hostage if you catch them unawares and point a gun at them.

Or, you can just sneak through the area and not encounter any of them.

Like Halo, it has some pretty spiffy AI routines, and I would argue, far more ways to play around with them.
  • Talking of ammo, how many games actually feature enemies running out of ammo? Gamers have to watch their ammo, so why do enemies have an unlimited amount?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!