Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    Nah, they've predicted potential sales of 1 billion consoles. lolololol seriously g.man

They didn't say that either.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    But hey, that's two cracking posters waiting to happen.
  • I have heard the 3 servers to 1 OXO thing before, can't remember where.
    Think it meant with regards to cloud computing though.
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • Mod74 wrote:
    Nah, they've predicted potential sales of 1 billion consoles. lolololol seriously g.man
    They didn't say that either.
    ...as said by senior VP of interactive entertainment business Yusuf Mehdi
    Every generation, as you've probably heard, has grown approximately 30%," he said. "So this generation is about 300 million units. Most industry experts think the next generation will get upwards of about 400 million units. That's if it's a game console, over the next decade.
    "We think you can go broader than a game console, that's our aim, and you can go from 400 million to potentially upwards of a billion units. That's how we're thinking of the Xbox opportunity as we go forward.

as good as

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I'm not sure what constitutes brand loyalty. I like Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft as they make decent consoles and games and I therefore buy all their consoles. Am I loyal to all of them or none of them?
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • You just have too much money. ;)
  • Or too little control over my spending habits.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • That too. Quick Oliver, give him some restraint mun!
  • Back in the days when I only owned one console at a time, I went: Mega Drive - Saturn.... so, I've always had a love for Sega (the Dreamcast remains my favourite console, and the only one I've bought at launch).

That's all changed in recent years, as my games room contains:

Master System
    Mega Drive/Mega-CD
    SNES
    Saturn
    Saturn (Japanese)
    Dreamcast
    Playstation 2 (had a PS1)
    GameCube
    Xbox
    Wii
    PS3
    Wii U

Of the latest generation, the 360 was easily my console of choice.

From what I've heard of Xbox One and PS4.... I'm probably going with PS4, but I won't be an early adopter.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • Not loads of brand loyalty, but I've always been a bit of a Nintendo fan. You've got to draw the line somewhere though, and the wiiU is where I've drawn it.
  • I must admit, the 3DS XL is making me consider selling some stuff to get hold of it. I've always been a bit of a ninty lover. I moved to ps3 to grab a slice of that action. I'm likely to get a handheld over the next gen. Until at least the new ones have been out for 6 months.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • I've never been a Nintard but goddamn the DS Lite won me (and the missus) over at first. Advance Wars', Mario Kart, Trauma Centre... but once the stylus/touch novelty worn off, plus the march of the smartphone, it's been the inside of a cupboard the DS has seen most.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Chief wrote:
    My brand loyalty tends to be with developers/franchises, rather than console brands. I suppose this means that a certain developer/franchise is exclusive to console X, I'll be more inclined to go with that console.

This rings true to me too. Thing is the NES was the first console I really fell in love with, I did have an Atari 2600 before that but was a bit to young to really appreciate it at the time.

With the NES being such a big deal to me its mostly the franchises from that console that I tend to follow still to this day and because of that I have and always will get Nintendo consoles because of Mario/Zelda etc.

Having said that I still follow Castlevania for example and have gotten into post NES franchises such as Resident Evil, Halo and Uncharted.

Basically I buy every bloody thing but for the games not the name on the console.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I just can't get hyped about Nintendo games anymore although enjoy playing the odd Wii U title over my brother's place when I visit.

I suppose I am pretty loyal to anything Xbox related. I have had tonnes of hours of fun on both the original Xbox and 360, all my friends seem to prefer Xbox Live, the wife loves Fable and I really do love the controller.

But I have to say I prefer the PlayStation exclusives. Halo is boring shit, Fable is for girls, GoW has been done to death and Forza isn't really my thing.
  • Except Forza Horizon. That was immense.
  • Says the guy who has pre-ordered an Xbox One ;) ;)
  • weadre wrote:
    Not loads of brand loyalty, but I've always been a bit of a Nintendo fan. You've got to draw the line somewhere though, and the wiiU is where I've drawn it.

+1
  • I won't be buying another console at launch. Too many wallet stinging post launch price cuts/deals
    PSN - minkymu
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I just want in on the ground level of Destiny.
  • For the most part of this generation, I have definitely preferred the 360, and still is my go to console. In my opinion the PS3 was a joke for the first few years of its life, and I didn't understand why people were buying them, apart from blu ray.

In the last year though, Sony has made some real headway in terms of games and what Plus offers. If I was buying for the first time at this point....it would be a tougher decision.

I'm waiting for more details at E3 before jumping in, and I'm not so loyal that I would dismiss PS4 out of hand. Which is saying something, as if you'd asked me a year ago I wouldn't even have thought about Sony's offering.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Ah yes. My mate is marketing manager for that game.
    PSN - minkymu
  • MattyJ wrote:
    In my opinion the PS3 was a joke for the first few years of its life, and I didn't understand why people were buying them, apart from blu ray.

Motorstorm, Resistence, Super Stardust, Warhawk, Ratchet & Clank. Those are just some of the games I bought and had buckets of fun with.
  • No doubt there were some games, but I think I was so turned off by Sony's attitude and bullshit they were coming out with, coupled with the price and poor online etc, that I wasn't interested.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • I have never had an issue with the online for the PS3. I don't get peoples beef with it.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    Would hope all patrons were well shot of this fanboy nonsense, preferably decades well shot.

The fanboy anchor weighs heavily on history, thus in spite of our foreign future, fanboying is human nature. So long as we don't push our opinions down reluctant ears.

The Onedin Crime's based on anti-corp feeling. Eighteen months from now, some of us might be very happy owners. The PS4 might be crashing over hurdles...

But on some kind of awful, Snowvian Funometer, Sony would probably edge it for me. I'd temper that by stating that by far my favourite Sony console was their first. Ditto for Microsoft. (I know the 360's more popular, but it doesn't have the power advantage over the PS3 that the Oldbox did over the PS2.)

I support whoever works on the games I like, and I buy said titles in their most advanced incarnations. Vice City in 480p on the 'Box; the denser foliage of the 360's Red Dead Redemption.

04512.jpg

I reserve the right to hate console designs.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I mean what the sod's wrong with dark brushed alu?

FP58-01.jpg
  • I think brand loyalty morphs into a matter of trust once you have the disposable income (though not necessarily time) to afford options left, right and centre.

Throughout my involvement in the hobby, I've been a fan of Amiga, a staunch fanboy of Sony, Microsoft and Sega. I'll readily admit that. However, in terms of platforms these days, I can honestly say only Nintendo have trust from me. As in - I know their systems are well built, reliable, and have something unique about them. I also accept they have quirks that not everyone else likes.

This is borne simply out of my personal history with the various systems. Sega and Amiga went bust. Sony and Microsoft have built consoles I have had to send back for repair on multiple occasions. By default I only have one option, as I am the kind of person who does not appreciate spending $650 or $999 on hardware that hasn't been through proper QA.

In terms of software, I have loyalty to companies that keep producing good, enjoyable games with minimal compromises. Developers like Treasure, Platinum, Q Games are certainly in this bracket.

What I'm trying to get at is that I support/am loyal to good past and present practices, and avoid odious behaviour that needlessly costs me extra money and hassle.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Vela wrote:
    In terms of software, I have loyalty to companies that keep producing good, enjoyable games with minimal compromises. Developers like Treasure, Platinum, Q Games are certainly in this bracket.

I think even that's on shaky ground. I preferred Vice City to San Andreas, and Uncharted 2 to 3. In both cases, many staff left after the former.

I dunno if the outgoers were responsible for the fun I had, so I only have trust in companies after the fact.

(One of the guys who left Rockstar spoke up for many of the things I enjoyed about Vice. More vehicle persistence and less third-rate storytelling.)
  • Oh I agree - one great game means I will give their next game (even if its completely different) a go. One bad game means I will think twice or try a demo before getting the next one.

You pretty much named the two series that did that to me in the bad sense too. Uncharted 2 was amazing, Uncharted 3 was frustrating and rough around the edges.

San Andreas did nothing for me and I loved Vice City. GTA4 didn't repair the damage either. To that end, I would only ever get GTA 5 after trying a demo, and an Uncharted game on PSN+.

edit: by 'bad game' I simply mean one that I don't enjoy.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    That said, companies with a history of making games we've enjoyed take expectative precedence over ones who've never catered to us.

Back to square one. Great.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!