BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    I got you, reg.
    davyK wrote:
    Super RType released on Switch SNES collection. I always forget how much I like that series.

I tried that out tonight. So far I think I prefer the PC Engine version; the SNES one is prettier, of course, but man there's some epic slow-down. Was it like that back in the day, or is it a Switch emulation thing?
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Blue Swirl wrote:
    I got you, reg.
    Super RType released on Switch SNES collection. I always forget how much I like that series.
    I tried that out tonight. So far I think I prefer the PC Engine version; the SNES one is prettier, of course, but man there's some epic slow-down. Was it like that back in the day, or is it a Switch emulation thing?

Well known for its slowdown. It's why I didn't get it on cart in the day. Probably the main reason for the poor SNES reputation for shmups - despite it having games like Super Aleste which is sprite city with no slowdown. 

I have RType III boxed with manual which is an excellent game and worth a fair bit now even though the box isn't up to the usual standard I have in my collection.  It doesn't suffer from slowdown as far as I remember - maybe in a few places - depending on the force orb you pick but it isn't a problem with the game the way it is Super RType.

There might be a ROM hack that sorts it - Gradius III on SNES had a similar problem but there's a hack of that which fixes it.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Ah, that's a shame. When it's running smoothly, it's an absolute stonker.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Scalpers on ebay can do one.

scalper.png
  • NTSC-J copy of Burning Rangers arrived today.

Comes with a Gamecube game disc size CD with the soundtrack.

Never seen a music CD be that size.

How do non-top loader CD players even handle discs that size?
  • Drawers sometimes have a smaller section in the tray to hold them, Im not sure self feeders can play them.
  • Actually the launch Wii can pay Gamecube games, and it's a self feeder, but maybe they had something in place for that, that other self feed CD players don't.
  • Ah yeah, yeah possibly.
    Something to centre the disc.

Someone here must have taken apart a Wii disc drive at some point, I assume a good percentage of them are full of biscuits.
  • There was a brief trend for CD singles in that smaller size. Didn’t last long. Presumably because people tried to put them in self-feeding car stereos and fucked things up. The next idea was full-size discs that only had metal playable surface in the middle part. The outer half was just transparent, or held artwork. Eventually people realised it was more cost-effective to just make normal CDs all the time and stop fiddling around with different formats that made more work for the pressing plants.
  • Yeah the only CD players I have that work are game consoles, or my wife's car. Don't want to get this cool little retro disc stuck in any of them.
  • I remember seeing these adaptor things at some point in my life.
    Like Pop says its just making a problem really. CDs eventually became so cheap.

8699918720_106088876c.jpg
  • Although IIRC GC games were this size precisely because it made them a problem, so they could counter piracy somewhat which was absolutely rife that gen and the one before it on Playstation.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Not sure about the size - might be the case - but the GC drive ran backwards as well - making disc burning more problematic.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Although IIRC GC games were this size precisely because it made them a problem, so they could counter piracy somewhat which was absolutely rife that gen and the one before it on Playstation.
    Am I right in thinking you could play any yarred game on the playstation just by swapping the disc after the logo came up?
  • I remember I had some set up where I played it with the lid open. The inside of a biro pressed down the button that tells the console the lid was closed, with the pen end hooked into another part of the lid. But I can't remember if that was for yarring or just general troubleshooting because the laser was on the blink.
  • I had something that plugged into the serial port at the back, and a spring to keep the lid open for the disc swap thing.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Disc swapping is a common trick with PS1. There's a disc called Breaker Pro that lets you disc swap without risking damaging the drive. It even comes with a widget that keeps the disc open button depressed.

It also has the added bonus of a hidden menu (activated by holding all 4 shoulder buttons down) that lets you force 50Hz games into 60Hz and adjust the size and position of the image on-screen.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Although IIRC GC games were this size precisely because it made them a problem, so they could counter piracy somewhat which was absolutely rife that gen and the one before it on Playstation.

Was piracy really that much worse in the PS1 gen than in the days of floppy disks? It was actually the only gen where I didn't have pirate games, mainly because of the faff, perhaps also because pre-owned and trade ins were good value. Previously on the ST way more than half my game collection was pirated!

PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • davyK wrote:
    Disc swapping is a common trick with PS1. There's a disc called Breaker Pro that lets you disc swap without risking damaging the drive. It even comes with a widget that keeps the disc open button depressed. It also has the added bonus of a hidden menu (activated by holding all 4 shoulder buttons down) that lets you force 50Hz games into 60Hz and adjust the size and position of the image on-screen.
    qOvqBhS.jpeg
  • Questor
    Show networks
    Steam
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/questornz/

Send message
    This is why I am SUPER keen to get one of the FlippyDrive things for my Gamecube (and you bet your life I will be hunting out a Spice GC from Hard Off when I am in Japan later in the year)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    monkey wrote:
    Disc swapping is a common trick with PS1. There's a disc called Breaker Pro that lets you disc swap without risking damaging the drive. It even comes with a widget that keeps the disc open button depressed. It also has the added bonus of a hidden menu (activated by holding all 4 shoulder buttons down) that lets you force 50Hz games into 60Hz and adjust the size and position of the image on-screen.
    qOvqBhS.jpeg

Heh.

To be honest that or a piece of Blutac would be a better job - it's a metal cylinder with a spring attached - the cylinder goes over the sensor/button and the other end of the spring goes over a plastic leg in disc drive lid.

It also comes with a different version for the PSOne and a tool for working with fat PS2s.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    pic:

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.YZ0fP1xuSSWM-wbYu56ZXAHaFj%26pid%3DApi&f=1&ipt=ac2d36b7b3d96ec9e1f2b1330850ba42c4a0ac107004fca2bbad5d4bf890a163&ipo=images
  • PS1 piracy got very easy by around 1999/2000.

Was just a gadget you slot into the expansion port. Can't remember if it required a legit disc first to play. Probably did, but at least it didn't require soldering something to the board.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Swap discs like the Breaker Pro are a faff but they are mod-less. I have a J-PS2 and PAL-PS2 now so rarely boot the old PS1 up any more.

Have a boot disc for the Dreamcast (called DC-X) as well for playing the handful of imports I have.

Only consoles I have modded are the SNES and Megadrive.
  • Questor
    Show networks
    Steam
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/questornz/

Send message
    I ended up with a Boot dis for my GC to play imports too - was called Freeloader IIRC?
  • I miss upside down consoles.
  • Was piracy really that much worse in the PS1 gen than in the days of floppy disks? It was actually the only gen where I didn't have pirate games, mainly because of the faff, perhaps also because pre-owned and trade ins were good value. Previously on the ST way more than half my game collection was pirated!

Same here, but I don’t think that’s comparing like for like. Home computers (from ZX80 through Speccy and C64 right up to the ST, Amiga and PC) enjoyed a lot of piracy - they used tapes and discs.

I think it’s more relevant to think of the PS1 in comparison to the older consoles - which were all cartridge based, and near-impossible to pirate at the time. In that context, the jump from carts to CDs … you can appreciate that the change boosted piracy.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!