Retro Gaming
  • Good thing that gaming prices haven't increased with inflation.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Damn right. I remember £30 price tags in 1983 for full price 2600 games. That's around £100 today so things have got better.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Ah, I see. Still, I can see why my friend was keen to show it off, even at that price. He got a Mega Drive before anyone else and basically rode that horse as hard as he could, even after we all had PlayStations and what-have-you.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Update today from VGP on the OSSC Pro and it sounds amazing:

https://videogameperfection.com/2021/09/24/newsletter-issue-about/

Apparently it can downscale so that you can play on a CRT TV (it now has a hdmi input) and you can force 120fps if your new tv supports it.

No conformation on pricing but I think it's going to be pricey, they expect it to be under 500 usd!!!!

Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • ACTRAISEEEEEEEEERRRRR!!!
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Eric wrote:
    Update today from VGP on the OSSC Pro and it sounds amazing: https://videogameperfection.com/2021/09/24/newsletter-issue-about/ Apparently it can downscale so that you can play on a CRT TV (it now has a hdmi input) and you can force 120fps if your new tv supports it. No conformation on pricing but I think it's going to be pricey, they expect it to be under 500 usd!!!!

Nice. I'll probably just still go for the classic version initially.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Eric wrote:
    Apparently it can downscale so that you can play on a CRT TV (it now has a hdmi input)

I know modern games'd look terrible, but out of lag-related curiosity I'd love to try some.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    This slipped under my radar. Up coming Disney collection, with both the SNES ("Console N") and Mega Drive ("Console S") versions of Aladdin and the Jungle Book.

Also includes the standard display options, behind the scenes gubbins, and an honest-to-goodness instruction manual "while stocks last".
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Didn't they rerelease the Aladdins and Lion Kings recently?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Escape wrote:
    Apparently it can downscale so that you can play on a CRT TV (it now has a hdmi input)
    I know modern games'd look terrible, but out of lag-related curiosity I'd love to try some.

Shmups may be OK though. I suspect that's the target audience for that feature.

Also for using emulators with a PC.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Didn't they rerelease the Aladdins and Lion Kings recently?

I think that was just the Mega Drive versions.  This has the Capcom SNES game that we haven't got before.

I think.
  • I thought there was an Aladdin package with both. Maybe not.

Anyway, I refuse to believe anyone was craving a remaster of The Jungle Book. I rented it once and had enough after a couple of sessions, it's probably the worst of the Virgin Games Disneys.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I avoided that type of licenced thing back then. I only got Tiny Toons on SNES because of the review it got in Super Play.
  • I used to love playing snes Aladdin, would play it through again and again.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    The whole new world level is stuck in my head.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    They do look lush but I know I wont play them. I liked Quackshot on MD..must go back to that and finish it. Was never that fussed on the Mickey Mouse games.
  • It's a shame Mickey Mania didn't play a bit better as a lot of effort went into that one. Looked fantastic.

Castle and World of Illusion on MD are decent, the former was excellent at launch. World isn't much cop solo though.

MS Castle is the goat Mickey imo, Land of Illusion was decent too. Legend of Illusion felt weak to me but I played it late.

Fantasia is the infamous stinker.
  • Quackshot and The Lucky Dime Caper were the legit Sega Donalds.
  • That's It! I thought I had played the MD Mickey games but watching them on YouTube I have no recollection of playing them before, that's because it was the MS version!

Full on wave of nostalgia just hit me, all those chip tunes are still burnt in the back of my memory.

When my neighbours got a SNES their MS was surplus to requirements so I got quite a lot of play out of it and their Game Gear (with MS converter). Lucky Dime Caper was another belter.

I loved the Aladdin games, both were excellent. Never played the Jungle Book, but it looks the part. The Lion King I found really hard as a kid and gave up. I should really revisit.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    It's a shame Mickey Mania didn't play a bit better as a lot of effort went into that one. Looked fantastic. Castle and World of Illusion on MD are decent, the former was excellent at launch. World isn't much cop solo though. MS Castle is the goat Mickey imo, Land of Illusion was decent too. Legend of Illusion felt weak to me but I played it late. Fantasia is the infamous stinker.

Mickey Mania did look great and it got a bite from me on PS1 (cheap impulse purchase). Looked wonderful as you say but played flat.

Fantasia....glad I paid only a couple of quid for that pile of old shite. But there's a game that could be made into something special today.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Have dusted off my copy of Saturn Bomberman with the express aim of beating the Master Mode. It's an exclusive single player 20 level score attack mode; the levels have a light puzzle feel to them and there's a handful of boss fights too. Really nice presentation with high scores kept for each level etc. Wonderful soundtrack and gorgeous hand drawn sprite animation. They don't make 'em like this any more.

3J6xHD8.jpg
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Eric wrote:
    ...I got quite a lot of play out of it and their Game Gear (with MS converter)

Oh man, I wanted one of those as a kid so bad. That and the TV tuner adaptor.

As for the difficulty of The Lion King, didn't they make the second level intentionally really hard? They didn't want people to get too far into the game when playing demo pods in stores, iirc.
  • I had Castle of Illusion on GG, fantastic game.
  • I couldn't get on with the GG one because the DP required a double press of the jump button rather than button 2 then button 1 in the air a la the MS version.  It's fair to say I'm a little less finicky now.  The cart version of Miracle World was a no too, button 1 for jump SMDH.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    nick_md wrote:
    I had Castle of Illusion on GG, fantastic game.

It was indeed.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Have dusted off my copy of Saturn Bomberman…

Ever had the hardware to play ten player?

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Blue Swirl wrote:
    davyK wrote:
    Have dusted off my copy of Saturn Bomberman…

Nope. Only one multi-tap. I may have enough controllers though. Was something I had intended to use in my Office Gaming events but never got around to that one.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Blue Swirl wrote:
    Nope. Only one multi-tap. I may have enough controllers though. Was something I had intended to use in my Office Gaming events but never got around to that one.

That's a shame. I had the opportunity to try it out at a history of games exhibition (sponsored by EDGE, no less), back in the mists of 2001. It was joy personified.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I haven't given up hope. I fancy picking up a Bomberman themed multi-tap as a collectable item.

Whenever we get back into the office we may have an opportunity at some point. :)  A projector is a must as the graphics in 10P mode are smaller than the 2-8P mode.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!