theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Maybe you should ask him to stick it up on dropbox and it'll save you having to download the entire game?

I would/will, but as it's 1.3GB it'll take hours for me to up. Took me a full 24 to up Elms Win8.iso and that was 2GB.

The file that failed for me was the "Data2.rda" file. If you can find a torrent and grab just that file (torrents let you do that, yeah?) then that'll be a lot quicker.

The file sizes should match what I put in the picture up there. My borked disc install was only showing 500MB for data2.rda.
  • Yeah if it doesn't work I'll just look for a torrent.
  • Don't worry about it.

I don't care anymore. I'll just grab the new one in the next steam sale.
  • You should care as 1404 is ace.
  • Well I can't uninstall it now either and it's pushed me over the edge.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Not long 'til I finally get to play Anno!

8527857847_226ec3ea74_c.jpg

The laptop arrived today and I've decided to keep it...
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Do you mean from the negative Amazon reviews? I wouldn't worry too much unless there is something specific you have a problem with. For example
    You'd think with the AMD Radeon HD 7670M graphics card you could play some game? WRONG! This product isn't dedicated graphics as described, it is dual graphics and also relies on Intel HD 4000. Nowhere in the description is this included and I found this out to my horror.
    This guy has no idea what he's talking about, it has dual graphics, meaning you can switch between the dedicated graphics when playing games or intels onboard graphics to save power. He also complains about it having six partitions, which while odd if true, isn't really a problem. Looks to me like a great laptop.
    Mod74 wrote:
    No way it would have six partitions. He's probably looking at the the card reader letters.
    I haven't got a clue what he was talking about, there are no partitions on mine at all. I'm pissed that I even contemplated refusing this, it is a lovely laptop and perfect for the money.

I can't wait to try Anno...
  • Apparently new Sim City has been getting great reviews.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    EA want 82€ to download SimCity from Origin. I mean what the fuck is their problem? 35 - 40€ for the Origin Key from a variety of key vendors.
  • Sounds like there are as many drawbacks to the MP / always on-ness as there are cool things.

I'm more a single player, slowly build a city kind of guy. I don't want the city next door using up all the water or lowering taxes and stealing my sims.

Hmmm.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    So where's the best place for me to get SimCity? I prefer digital download so does this mean I'll need to get Origin?
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    You'll need to get Origin yes. afaik you need Origin even if you buy a disc copy as it handles all the DRM.
  • Oh no, anno 1404 is dangerously addictive. It blows civilisation out of the water. Might stave off any SimCity cravings I have too.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Couple of tips that aren't super obvious.

Try and do an island grab asap. Each island can only grow certain things, to get your population to advance you'll eventually need some of everything. There can only be one owner per island so grab the good/big ones before the AI does.

Lord whatsit and the Vizar will sell you upgrades/useful items in exchange for honor points, but the stock they offer doesn't change until you either buy it or press the dice button to reshuffle what they are selling. I missed the dice button completely at first.

Annoyingly there isn't a "Go to Flagship" button, but if you open the Routing page, then click the ship list, you can look up where you've left the flagship. That's only really a concern when you've got dozens of ships on the go.

I don't know the proportions, but you have to have a certain amount of each inhabitant on an island. You can't make everyone advance to noblemen status. What that means in practice is to get more Nobleman (and Patricians and Citizens) you have to add more Peasants then everything rolls up the chain. So to speak.

If you let beggars into your town make sure you build an Alms house. If not they suck hundreds and hundreds out of your regular income. The more beggars you have the more alms houses you need.
  • Showed the video of Sim City to the wife yesterday. She said, hmm, how much would a laptop that would run that cost.... :)
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    WorKid wrote:
    Showed the video of Sim City to the wife yesterday. She said, hmm, how much would a laptop that would run that cost.... :)
    I'm hoping mine will run it so if this is the case it's about £700, also I've just ordered the disc copy of SimCity LE from Amazon (£35). It was reading the Kotaku journo's account that swung it for me...
  • Mod, I've got up to the Patrician level and I'm now being offered good sums of money not to take in beggars - I have plenty of Alms houses, will my patricians get unhappy if I accept beggars again?

I'm a big softie but I like the glister of gold.

Also a biggie at the start is to turn off automatic ascension rights. I kept on buying tools and they'd disappear as soon as I got them to my warehouse. Didn't realise it took tools to upgrade to citizens.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Simcity bought. Must get Origin at some point. Maybe if people want to put their Origin id into the pc thread or somewhere I might put them in the op. If I could be bothered.
  • I know Sim City is awesome, but stop paying EA extortionate amounts of money - you're only encouraging them!
  • Cheers!!
    Will get that tonight and return the disc.
  • The ArsTechnica initial review has really put me off Sim City.

• Apparently settlement size in new Sim City taps out at 200k population. That seems a bit crap.
  • MattyJ wrote:
    Apparently new Sim City has been getting great reviews.
    WorKid wrote:
    The ArsTechnica initial review has really put me off Sim City.

Where else is it being reviewed? ArsTechnicia made it sound fucking awful.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Fucking brilliant, so it looks like I've wasted money buying my first console priced game for a PC.

Oh fuck, just remembered it's a pre-order so I can cancel it. I was looking forward to playing that this weekend...
  • How can you fuck up sim city? It's a travesty if they've managed it.
  • That's one review. Here is one review that gives it 95/100. 

Fight.
  • That website is a travesty.
  • I don't like them as a whole, but they seem to be pretty spot on with reviews, and seem to know what they are doing, the sack of cunts.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    n0face wrote:
    How can you fuck up sim city? It's a travesty if they've managed it.
    Well I ordered it on the back of this (obviously sans screenshots)...

This is the story of how the new SimCity hooked me in three days. This is also the story of a bustling city on the banks of the Chickville river. A place filled with hard-working folk not afraid to get their hands dirty, plucking riches from the depths of the Earth and sharing them with the world. It's called Fahey's Folly, my finest creation.

See that screenshot up there? Isn't it beautiful? Those ambitious brick high-rise buildings reaching into the sky, defiant in the face of the gleaming spires of its neighbors?

That's not Fahey's Folly.

That's the example city provided by EA for the purposes of this weekend's closed press preview. I call it a preview, because despite the content being considered review-ready by EA, this new SimCity is a game so heavily invested in online play that judging it before the rest of the world enters the mix is folly indeed.

After poking about the EA-provided city to get my bearings, I struck out on my own.

Well, that's not technically true. The only time you're really on your own in this latest SimCity is when you create your own Region and set it to private as I did with my Secret Squirrel region. I figured I might have more fun without having to trade and pool resources with other players in the same region. I thought an obligation-free sandbox would be right up my alley.

I was mistaken.

As immediately satisfying as it was to just plop (that's the official term) down Germany's Kölner Dom without having to spend hours developing my tourism industry, ultimately the single-player sandbox I thought I wanted left me feeling empty and unfulfilled. It might be good for folks looking to make movies, but this SimCity is designed to play with other people, and it's a lot less fun without them.

Not Fahey's Folly either.

So I hooked up with Kotaku's Stephen Totilo to see if we'd make good neighbors. He did. Me? Not so much.

This sprawling coal-mining town is where I learned the intricacies of city planning. From a small road leading away from the highway I built houses. I placed water towers. I powered them with coal. Soon that single small road became many small roads crisscrossing the land. I painted the roads with zones commercial, residential and industrial, attempting to balance a trio of meters that never seemed satisfied with my choices (except for commercial, which was barely ever in demand).

I discovered (read a preview, Fahey!) that upgrading roads helped maximize building density, and that strategically placing parks attracts more affluent residents.

Totilo's town helped me during those early days, supplying waste management and emergency services as I struggled to balance utilities and facilities with explosive growth. Eventually I returned the favor, letting him tap into my nuclear reactor to power his city. It was a good relationship. We worked well together.

When I destroyed everything I had built in order to start over, the effect on Totilo's town was devastating. Without my nuclear reactor he had no power. Businesses closed. People left town. His city plunged into an economic nosedive he couldn't pull out of. He wound up abandoning the city and moving on to a new region.

That's what he gets for relying on a town called New Roanoke.

But this isn't the story of New Roanoke. It's the story of Fahey's Folly, my greatest SimCity creation. A glorious symmetry of living and working and shopping. A tableau depicting my growing understanding of the game's symbiotic mechanics—that is Fahey's Folly.

From these humble beginnings I grew a tiny empire, built on petroleum and precious metals. Mining and drilling provided the financial seed to raise the simple folk of Fahey's Folly from trailer parks to town homes to deluxe apartments in the sky. Sure it has crime, regularly-scheduled fires and the odd zombie outbreak. It also has an excellent education system, a bustling trade center and the makings of a successful microprocessor plant, ready to catapult the once-primitive city into the digital age.

Building those other cities I was merely flirting with the new SimCity. Fahey's Folly is where we fell in love. We'd spend hours painting roads and watching the powerful GlassBox engine calculate and populate the city's buildings on-the-fly. We'd bulldoze buildings just to watch new ones crop up. We'd pan and zoom through the streets, watching the tiny people going about their business, unaware of their omnipresent god. We'd often pause to flip through the game's various map views, easy-to-interpret x-rays of the city's vital systems.

Fahey's Folly was built in eight hours. My plans for it extended far beyond that. Sadly, those plans have been dashed.

I've been unable to load my greatest creation since yesterday evening. I've restarted the game. I've restarted my computer. I've created new cities in other regions, in hopes of somehow knocking Fahey's Folly loose from the limbo it's in.

I can load any other city I've created, but when I attempt to enter my mecca, I get this:

So I cannot show you Fahey's Folly at its finest, and considering the EA-provided press accounts will expire in a few days, it's likely I never will. I'm not too disappointed, seeing as the town's days were numbered anyway. I just hope the issue doesn't strike when the game goes live, because Fahey's Folly shall surely rise again.

We'll have a full SimCity review for you later this week, once the floodgates have been opened. I leave you with all that's left of Fahey's Folly, jewel of the early-access press review planet.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!