Get tae! It's never, Drive Club!
  • Surely if FH2 it proves that people will buy and get excited about a good racer even now.
    The Forum Herald™
  • I doubt it's sold huge amounts, I doubt a third party would try it now. Financial backing from MS and re-using Turn 10 tech and assets might make it worthwhile.
  • Bob wrote:
    Surely if FH2 it proves that people will buy and get excited about a good racer even now.
    Nah, I'd argue that the majority of gamers are utterly fed up with circuit racers, hence the catastrophic failure of so many titles in the genre in recent years. 
    FH2 bucks the trend by actually just being great fun due to the nature of the open-world experience combined with the Forza pedigree.
    If I worked for Turn 10 I'd actually be in fear of losing my job post, because I'd wager that Horizon2 just makes the core series redundant now. We've all been there, done that and won the prize soooooo many times. Horizon pushes in a refreshing new direction for racers.
    Many have attempted the open world racer in the past, but few have succeeded with the style and panache of FH2. It's not perfect, but it's a refreshing reboot for a tired genre.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Birdorf
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Martin Bird
    Twitter
    birdm68
    Xbox
    Birdorf
    PSN
    Birdorf
    Steam
    Birdorf
    Wii
    U: Birdorf, 3DS: 4382 3173 0928

Send message
    It took me nearly ten hours to download 16gb yesterday, somthing which should have taken a couple of hours at the very most, so there's probably a degree of truth in the server thing. They really need to sort it out.
  • It doesn't buck any trend by being a sequel.
    The Forum Herald™
  • It's a sequel to a game a lot of people didn't buy, and it's on shiny new hardware.
  • Which isn't bucking a trend.. it's just proving there's a market for people with new hardware to not over look things.
    The Forum Herald™
  • No, it's bucking a trend.
  • In what way?
    The Forum Herald™
  • I've already explained that.
  • Ah, do you mean sales trend?

In which case, despite the PS+ give away, and the poor reviews, Driveclub could buck the same trend for the reasons I've outlined.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Yes I'm referring to sales.
    I still think DriveClub will do fine. It's probably average but very pretty. The graphics alone should shift a lot of copies to casuals. Hell, if I had a PS4 I'd probably buy it.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Ps4 owners are a bit stuck for exclusives so they'll definitely get it. Especially as it's free :)
  • Bucking a sales trend at this point in a consoles life is no mean feat.. oh no I mean it's no feat.
    The Forum Herald™
  • I love this from XGN, whoever they are - 'DriveClub is one of the greatest racing games we've seen so far on the PlayStation 4.' What are there, 2? So it's one of those.
  • Louiecat
    Show networks
    Xbox
    louiecat
    Steam
    louiecat

Send message
    fucking dimwits writing for dimwits.....bah...........
    rest less
  • It's hard to know who's telling the truth these days there's so much click baiting using excessively low and high scoring these days for all games.
  • OK. This isn't very good. 

There's two big issues. 

1. The driving/racing feels about seven years too late
    2. The extraneous shit (like sound, music, atmosphere, etc) is missing.

There are so many issues with the game right now. I've played a couple of hours and I've not been able to log onto the servers once so take what I say with a grain of salt because I've had no access to any of the 'social' stuff.

The driving feels average and the racing is bad. The circuits and graphics look nice. The tracks and scenery feel well built - but they're just single lane circuits with no ability to ever go off line. For example, there's about a meter either side of the circuit that you can run onto if you miss a corner (sometimes) but then you immediately bump into a barrier. Not only that, but you lose 'kudos' for going off the track (even a little) and return to the circuit proper with a penalty to your speed/acceleration for a couple of seconds. 

It's ridiculous because if you go wide off a corner (which is very easy to do, because the game is woeful at presenting any sort of depth to the cornering, so you have no idea how fast/slow to enter the corner) you're penalised with points and acceleration.

The other racers just follow a set path ala Gran Turismo 2. It's ridiculous to see because they all just hug the racing line without ever deviating from it even if you've overtaken them. Also, you're penalised for bumping them - which is really easy to do because the circuits are not particularly wide and they're just dominating the racing line so you're likely to just bump them from time to time because it's an arcade racer and it seems there's some weird balancing going on with speed.

There's no suggested racing line and as I mentioned the depth perception in the game is woeful. The game looks pretty and they've got some fun lighting effects, but they do nothing other than make the game way harder because that pretty sunset is obscuring your vision for the entire track and you cant see anything except the pretty lighting effects. It's infuriating.

There's no atmosphere, either. I'm OK with no music, story-line, commentators, etc as long as the engine noises sound great and create their own music. They dont. They sound fake and lack any emotion. I dont want to compare to FH2 at all but a massive part jumped out at me. When you drive through a tunnel in Horizon, you can hear the specific engine of the car your driving echoing and bouncing off the walls and it's loud and fun. When you drive through a tunnel in Driveclub it's tinny and missing any excitement.

Maybe the atmosphere comes from the social hooks and seeing your friends' achievements all over the circuit your racing - but right now it's a soulless experience exacerbated by average racing and boring mechanics.
  • I see the free version is now "delayed" because of "servers", the fact they have known for over a year anyone with a ps4 would try the free version just makes this reek of bullshit. The fact the reviews have been pretty bad points to them hoping those desperate for a racer on the ps4 jump in early with the full version, I picked up the upgrade version for £29 last week but reading googles post fills me with regret.
    GT: Tr3D   PSN ID: TR3Dx
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    I decided to spend £7.99 on the Hybrid soundtrack instead. happy.png
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Doesn't sound good does it.

Regarding music apparently it is there but switched off by default
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    The bundled game with ps4s here now is drive club. How is it bundled if it's already free? Last bundle was Fifa 15, which was a good deal.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I'm assuming it's the full game and not the one you get by paying subscription?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    The full game that's not actually finished?
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I DUNNO DON'T BLAME ME!
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    You're protesting a lot....
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Frantic ruined the ps4, everybody!
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT, DRIVE CLUB, THE STUPID CONTROLLER, PLAYSTATION EYE, PSN IS DOWN AGAIN
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    The full game that's not actually finished?

It's finished they just want to finish it some more :-)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!