How to explain your hobby to friends, family and people just being polite.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Easily the best page turn ever...
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • That's not real right?
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    50 / 50...

Jimmy reckons most of it's a send up...
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Francis is a known actor/playa/pimp.
  • krs wrote:
    This My Little Pony guy; we're talking about Elm, yes?

I record it for my daughter.

Rainbow_Dash_haters_gonna_hate.gif
  • A worthy challenger to spinningdog.gif appears
  • Yo I turned 30 on 1st Jan. You're wrong bro. And I'm proud to play games.

Exactly how pissed do you get on New Year's Eve? If I were you I'd be dead already.

Drugs used to be the biggest threat, the sweaty hands of my raver friends delivering illicit birthday presents throughout the night.

My 30th was quite civilised, just a nice short break with my girlfriend in Amsterdam. A smoke, some champagne on ice and a stroll around for the fireworks.

• Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    That's an awesome way to spend any birthday.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Become a weirdo and tell people you like games to reassure them.

What's 'e buildin' in there?

'Ere, Martha... his fence is still half over. You'd think if 'e were so bloody good with they tools he'd-a done un be now. 'Stead o' lettin' un bide six month.

MARTH...?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    My 30th involved an almighty pub crawl in which you had to perform a virtual circumnavigation of the world - each pub being a country in which you had to drink something indiginous..

47 in April and still love gaming. Kids are in their teens now so I have a bit more time for it believe it or not - but I only go for the shorter, narrative-free thing and plenty of older stuff.

Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Stop bad mouthing Fez, people. I will come at you like a bullet.
  • My 30th was all kinds of carnage. Faceplanted the floor by, improptu gymnastics show, threw up on myself, naked male wrestling (don't aks), couple of shoes to peoples faces. Think I was unconscious in bed by 1230
  • My 30th in Amsterdam ended with my whiteying, getting into very odd situations and crazy bike taxi rides through town. Twas proper good.
    The next generation doesn't start until MAG comes out. 

PSN: Naemuckle
    STEAM: Naemuckle
  • I'm still not convinced anyone's had a more fucked up 30th than I did!
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Some of us still have the time to make that happen.
  • Well then my advice to you is to choose the young woman with the large breasts.
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    What if I need someone to fit through a small gap?
  • Use said woman for all your sticking things in small gap needs!!
  • wont be a small gap by the time im finished...eh???? eh???? eh???? surprising the amount a lady with a "large competitive advantage" can get away with in my books
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Bollockoff wrote:
    Having a meal with some family and friends last night and the conversation eventually turned to my father exclaiming his usual disbelief at technology these days and how I speak to my friends while gaming with them over the internet with a headset. Then a friend of my sister cuts in saying that I must be playing the new CoD "Black Something" and her and sis then have a good giggle talking about that time in Big Bang Theory when Sheldon did this and Sheldon did that while I grind my teeth together slowly and think what a shit piece of plaice this is. The friend comes back to the question and asks if CoD was indeed what I was playing and it's left to me to explain the ins and outs of League of Legends 5v5 play, how much strategy is involved that's seperated into early/mid/late stages of the games that can last up to an hour and passionate, (I.E. wound up some of my friends can get over losing a match) grand and spontaneous the atmosphere of playing with friends over chat can be. Without sounding like some ultra geeky bedroom obsessive or a general twat. I'm sure I failed in this scenario and will do in plenty more to come. But i'm wondering if anyone else has had awkward moments in a similar fashion or if they have a general attitude when this comes up.

Heh!

Next time, try this.

http://www.edge-online.com/features/designers-and-directors-finding-parallel-lives-in-games-and-cinema/
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    It fails by matching Melies with Miyamoto when they should have matched him with Chaplin.

Melies should be matched up with pioneers like the early Atari guys.

Miyamoto, like Chaplin, set standard solutions for many technical and narrative problems - he also eschews advances in technology while still providing great pieces of work - a more obvious parallel is the lack of voice talent with characters in his games too.

Chaplin's everyman would have lost his universal appeal with a voice - and maybe that's the case with Link and to a lesser extent, Mario.
  • I don't have any difficulty explaining that I play games.  It's the discussing it with strangers on the internet that loses people.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    adkm1979 wrote:
    I don't have any difficulty explaining that I play games.  It's the discussing it with strangers on the internet that loses people.

smiles
  • Have just realised that clearly I don't meet that many new people, as I didn't realise this was a thing. I don't think I've ever had to explain that I play games.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    If it comes up in conversation I'll say I play - quite often my wife will "spill the beans". which puts me on the spot -  sometimes I get incredulous looks and I groan inwardly but will speak my mind.  But then working in IT will at times ensure I get a fool's pardon in the eyes of ignorant , golf playing, footie supporting types.

Unfortunately most who claim to play games seem to restrict themselves to FIFA or COD so there's little to discuss. 

The iPad has opened it up a fair bit though - I hear of certain people playing Candy Crush and the like which surprises me in a good way and is a segway into a half decent conversation sometimes.

The trick is to avoid the temptation of insisting on educating people who think Angry Birds is actually a new game - as opposed to a modern tweak on one the oldest genres around. Ho hum.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    It fails by matching Melies with Miyamoto when they should have matched him with Chaplin. Melies should be matched up with pioneers like the early Atari guys. Miyamoto, like Chaplin, set standard solutions for many technical and narrative problems - he also eschews advances in technology while still providing great pieces of work - a more obvious parallel is the lack of voice talent with characters in his games too. Chaplin's everyman would have lost his universal appeal with a voice - and maybe that's the case with Link and to a lesser extent, Mario.

Woah...

That's a good shout.

Incidentally, I downloaded a copy of City Nights some time ago, and still haven't watched it...

Reckon I'd also have as much trouble explaining my desire to watch that, as I would my desire to send a mutated blue hedgehog hurtling down a hill fast enough to survive a loop-the-loop...
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    It fails by matching Melies with Miyamoto when they should have matched him with Chaplin. Melies should be matched up with pioneers like the early Atari guys. Miyamoto, like Chaplin, set standard solutions for many technical and narrative problems - he also eschews advances in technology while still providing great pieces of work - a more obvious parallel is the lack of voice talent with characters in his games too. Chaplin's everyman would have lost his universal appeal with a voice - and maybe that's the case with Link and to a lesser extent, Mario.
    Woah... That's a good shout. Incidentally, I downloaded a copy of City Nights some time ago, and still haven't watched it... Reckon I'd also have as much trouble explaining my desire to watch that, as I would my desire to send a mutated blue hedgehog hurtling down a hill fast enough to survive a loop-the-loop...

City Lights (not nights) is one of his most gorgeous films (one of the most gorgeous of any era)Many luminaries say it is his best (Wells, Allen, Fellini, Kubrick et al).....the ending is quite simply beautiful - what happens in the last scene could not be portrayed by sound...seriously..... if you only watch one silent film watch this. Chaplin agonised over certain parts of it - about the mechanics of how the story progressed - look it up once you watch it.

For good measure - on top of writing the script,directing and acting, Chaplin also wrote the score.

And dear Lord - watch out for the roller skating scene in another great piece of work he did - Modern Times.- he did his own stunts too - AND he wrote the score for that which includes the melody of "Smile" which Nat King Cole had a hit with decades later.

The drop isn't real - it's a special effect with glass and a painting but the skills are real enough.
  • adkm1979 wrote:
    I don't have any difficulty explaining that I play games.  It's the discussing it with strangers on the internet that loses people.
    Not to mention meeting up with people from the internet and staying at their houses.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!