How to explain your hobby to friends, family and people just being polite.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Crispy wrote:
    I wonder what it is about games and sports that makes them diametrically opposite to one another.

Huh?

With football at least, I've read stories about top flight players being avid gamers...

It didn't work for David James (remember that story?), but Lionel Messi is apparently a Pro Evo l337ist, and has been quoted as saying that he practices real life attacking schemes on the game.

Also recall another great story about some 12 y/o XBL troll on Fight Night 3... Some hardcore player got a bead on the little chav, so this kid starts swearing down the line (as you do)...

His accomplished opponent?
    None other than Floyd Mayweather himself! ^_^
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Ok ok but surely super star atheletes playing as themselves in a video game for a bit of ego stroking and/or mental prep for their profession doesn't count?
  • I'm quite into running, gymming, used to play football (still follow it) and tennis. Where I can.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    @Fentonizer

Now why couldn't you post that in my classification thread! XD
  • I do find it ironic how some people regarding gaming as really geeky, but then can reel off who played in the 1967 F.A. Cup final, who scored, what time it was etc etc.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • MattyJ wrote:
    I do find it ironic how some people regarding gaming as really geeky, but then can reel off who played in the 1967 F.A. Cup final, who scored, what time it was etc etc.

Yep, I can't even do that for games or comics but then I, *I* am the neeerrrrrd?

PISSWIDGETS.
  • I can do that for some games. And some music. And some foodstuffs.
  • Crispy wrote:
    This may be relevant here:  http://kotaku.com/gamer-shame/ Bit off topic here, but anecdotally, I've noticed that most people that are into gaming with some degree of seriousness haven't the slightest interest or clue into the going-ons of sport (myself included).  Whenever people at work start going on about football, or hockey or whatever, my eyes just glaze over as do theirs whenever I talk about video games. I wonder what it is about games and sports that makes them diametrically opposite to one another.

I wouldn't say that's true at all really. We're probably on the more serious side here, and we've got a very healthy sports thread going on. Most of the more serious game players I know have interest in one sport or another.
  • Yeah sports and gaming aren't mutually exclusive at all. I know loads of people who play a hell of a lot (whether than constitutes being "serious about gaming" i don't know) who love their football.

I don't really follow football anymore, used to be a big fan but lost interest somewhere along the way, but i play football every week. I love it as a sport to take part in and i can appreciate a decent match i just don't know whose hot and all the gossip anymore.
  • Hansen. Hansen is so hot right now.
  • Was somewhere along the way to do with the mountains of money that came in at the top level?

Football Manager was the top selling PC game in the UK last year. That says a lot I think.
  • Was somewhere along the way to do with the mountains of money that came in at the top level?

It was a bit of that but mainly going out raving all weekend. I was just on a different time schedule. Instead of getting up early and playing 11 aside or going to see a match i'd be sleeping off the all nighter or still out somewhere. It is a different game now than when i used to regularly go see live premiership matches, i think that is a reason i've never got back into it even after not going out as much and as excessively.
  • I think from the OP we can all agree that Big Bang Theory can go fuck itself.

Also, never really had to explain much to people completely outside the hobby.
    The frustrating conversations are with people just on the fringe, exclusively dedicated to COD or FIFA and never delve any deeper. Trying to explain the point of playing something like XCOM or Machinarium or anything outside that narrow blockbuster spectrum is painful
    PSN: Shinji-_-Ikari
    Twitter: @YouDidItAll4Me
  • I remember one time at school the topic came up amongst a group of us and I said I liked some videogames sometimes and there was a brief awkward silence followed by an outbreak of giggling as the others decided I was probably joking so I reached across into my pencil case, took out my compass, lifted my shirt and started carving Tetromino shapes into my stomach, screaming like that bit at the dining table in The Texas Chainsaw Massacre that just goes on and on, then when the blood was too think to distinguish the individual shapes (just as I was getting to the long thin one too, dammit, it always comes too late) I grabbed the girl next to me by her ponytail and rubbed her face in the warm sticky bloodiness whilst her strangled sobs were drowned out by my shouting, "I SUPPOSE YOU THINK THIS WEIRD TOO, DON'T YOU?! WELL, DON'T YOU?!" and the others were all like crying and pleading, "Stop it! Stop it! You're hurting her!" and I shrieked, "OH SORRY, I WAS JUST TRYING TO MAKE A POINT ABOUT HOW VIDEOGAMING'S REALLY NOT ALL THAT WEIRD!" and they said, "Oh yeah, I guess it isn't; not compared to this anyway." So I let go of the girl's hair and we got back on with our work. And that's how I explain my hobby; it's simply a matter of resetting people's parameters of what is socially acceptable.
  • An Overton wounding.
  • A couple of typos in there krs. Unusual for you. I am disappoint.

But yeah. I like your style. I just keep quiet, smile, and ignore cretins. Like the guy at work in his late twenties who says he grew out of games ages ago. Right.
  • I've never met a football fan who doesn't like FIFA. A lot of the time it's just FIFA though.
  • I'm sure that works for other cultural properties too, I mean it's why licensed games exist at all.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    A couple of typos in there krs. Unusual for you. I am disappoint.

There ain;t non e tyops in that post.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    I've never met a football fan who doesn't like FIFA. A lot of the time it's just FIFA though.

Ah... But that's because EA went out of their way to produce a better game.
    If someone designs a football game (*cough* Konami *cough*) that's qualitively better than FIFA, the people will switch.

The license, surprisingly, means FA*

*See wot I did there?
  • I've never met a football fan who doesn't like FIFA. A lot of the time it's just FIFA though.

Around 5 years ago, this would have been wrong I reckon. FIFA has only recently been any good. I don't mind it, but I got bored of footy games a little while ago.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Football Manager was the top selling PC game in the UK last year. That says a lot I think.

Which is surprising considering its a complete clusterfuck.

I just don't generally associate with people who see gaming as a stigma. Fuck them. I talk openly about my interest in it to anyone, if they seem uninterested I just carry on talking about it.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Thinking about the OP though, you know, recently, I've been feeling like a fucking outcast for NOT playing enough games, or being online.

This particular mate of mine plays CoD like a freak... Spent 100 bills on a custom pad, and everything...
    £200 headset, the works.

He'll meet up with his "clan" members every so often, and I'll tag along...

Random "clan" member - "How do you know *matey* then? Do you play CoD? What's your tag?"
    Me - "I've known *matey* for years! I used to have an Xbox, but never really got into CoD..."
    Random "clan" member - "Fucking weirdo..."
  • I don't. What's left of my interest in videogames is shared with internet people like you mob only.
    Yep.
    and again. The problem with me is the people i know who like games like FIFA and COD. They havent heard of the likes of Fez etc and dont really give a shit. Its turning into a two tier crowd. In the film world speak ... Those who like Transformers(Michael Bay) and those who dont.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Those who like Transformers(Michael Bay) and those who dont.

I like Transformers yay
  • I'd rather play CoD than Fez, tbf.
  • Transformers 2 is one of the biggest piles of shit I've ever seen. Still better than Pearl Harbour.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    @JMW - It's also easier to explain CoD to the layman.

Fuck explaining Fez to anyone who's never heard of a PC Engine, the Neo Geo, or Mode 7...
  • Tramp your little man backwards and forwards for ages trying to figure out what room you didn't search properly and then say fuck it and turn it off.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!