What We Look Like Now (and Then)
  • My uncle owns a salon (mostly ladies) and a barbers (gents), they both take bookings afaik.
  • yeah take that pops
  • Syph79 wrote:
    I tip too, but I’m not sure I agree about it being an underpaid profession. How much do you think is being declared when it’s cash through the tills only?

I have no idea but I dont generally go around suspecting everyone of tax fraud.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    I’d say if they take bookings, they’re a hairdressers. Not a barbers.

I’d always thought of barbers as being for men and hairdressers for women.
  • My barbers switched to bookings during Covid because having people sit waiting wasn't a good idea. They have decvided to keep them because it just seems easier all round.
    The barbers dont feel the pressure of a growing line behind them and customers arent wasting half the day in said line.
  • I much prefer to go to a hairdressers than a barbers as I like a scissor cut and I feel they're more used to that than the quick job with the clippers.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Good news. I’ll stick to my policy of saying little and tipping well.

unless your barber is really extroverted I can almost guarantee you'll be one of the names he/she is most happy to see when checking out the schedule for the day ahead, especially if it's busy. you might not be his/her favourite person to sit in the chair that day, but for sure you'll be amongst the most valued customers. 

tipping well is always remembered but it only elevates their impression of you if you've not crossed off any of the idiot points from the top list. if they don't like you no amount of tipping will change that. they will just try harder not to show it.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    poprock wrote:

Depends.  When I had long hair, I wouldn't consider going to a barber's.  Had a regular lady who cut my hair at my local T&G (and got to know a couple of the salons in the City).  A nice cup of coffee and a magazing in hand and just enjoy the cut.

Now that I keep really short hair, barber's every time.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Syph79 wrote:
    I tip too, but I’m not sure I agree about it being an underpaid profession. How much do you think is being declared when it’s cash through the tills only?

I don't either. Just businesses that refuse card payments.
  • Yeah I'm basically the same as Elf, I used to have much longer hair so would go to a salon, but now it's shorter I just go for convenience mostly but still try to avoid quick-clipper-job places.
  • Syph79 wrote:
    LivDiv wrote:
    Syph79 wrote:

Even if they arent paying their taxes its still not well paid.
    £11 a cut, appointments are 45 minutes where I go so thats about £15 per hour, minus chair rental. Its shit pay for a skilled job.
  • I've had too many bad cuts at barbers so I make a point of doing everything on Noxy's list and I also fart warmly and loudly to boot.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    poprock wrote:

I was on the wind up. Nothing to see here.

It’s true there’s a correlation though. Hairdressers usually take bookings, whereas your traditional barbers is a turn-up-and-queue sort of place. It’s not a rule. More of a guideline, with plenty of exceptions to it.
  • LivDiv wrote:

barbershops are notoriously dodgy with their accounting, but it's worth keeping in mind most barbers won't have much choice in this. the contract they get is up to the boss, and will often be tailored to the boss's financial interest. further, as many barbershops gain an advantage with their dodgy book keeping, being profitable against competition that isn't playing by the rules becomes ever harder.

so it's quite common for barbers to have, for example, a 20 hour contract but actually be working 40, but they don't really have any bargaining power in changing this. they could alert authorities, but this would also bring a lot of problems to their friends and co workers.

for this reason many barbers have been particularly hard hit by the lockdowns. as so many shops were understating their income, their furlough funds have been really reduced, which leaves the workers suffering for decisions taken in the boss's interests.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Syph79 wrote:
    LivDiv wrote:
    Syph79 wrote:
    Even if they arent paying their taxes its still not well paid. £11 a cut, appointments are 45 minutes where I go so thats about £15 per hour, minus chair rental. Its shit pay for a skilled job.

Then we should stop pretending what the value of a haircut is and pay what is needed to sustain the industry. But that won't happen until people in the trade are forced to do proper accounting. The more we move to a cashless society, the quicker that day will come.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    barbershops are notoriously dodgy with their accounting, but it's worth keeping in mind most barbers won't have much choice in this. the contract they get is up to the boss, and will often be tailored to the boss's financial interest. further, as many barbershops gain an advantage with their dodgy book keeping, being profitable against competition that isn't playing by the rules becomes ever harder. so it's quite common for barbers to have, for example, a 20 hour contract but actually be working 40, but they don't really have any bargaining power in changing this. they could alert authorities, but this would also bring a lot of problems to their friends and co workers. for this reason many barbers have been particularly hard hit by the lockdowns. as so many shops were understating their income, their furlough funds have been really reduced, which leaves the workers suffering for decisions taken in the boss's interests.

Ta, Noxy.

There's a reasonably well known study on this: Sex, Drugs, and Deception: Deviance in the Hair Salon Industry.
  • I need to know what atrocity a barber committed on Syph.
  • Shaved the wrong head
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Shaved the wrong head

This made me laugh way too loudly on a work call
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • So yeah. I'll carry on tipping well as its a shit paid profession however you want to cut it.
  • I know of one barber shop where the workers attempted to form a sort of micro union and go on strike to demand better pay and a contract that reflected the actual amount of hours they worked. they were told no chance, and that anyone who didn't turn up to work would get fired. some couldn't afford to take the risk so they came back (and had their hourly rate reduced as punishment), and those who didn't return were let go. nobody could even do anything about it, as- again- alerting any authorities would have directly got their friends and co workers in a lot of shit.
  • I just like to tip if I receive good personal service, waiters, barbers, decent bartenders, if someone goes above and beyond to help etc.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • I need to know what atrocity a barber committed on Syph.

If only it was that simple.

I actually feel very sorry for folk in the trade. I don't think it should've been locked down as it has been and I suspect many barbers, etc., have felt some real hard times in recent months.

My studies were in Criminology/Sociology and I've always had an interest in Economics. Barbers have always struck me as a system that will collapse at some stage, because it is built on falsehoods and practices that will die out when cash becomes less prevalent.

All anyone had to question is why women pay £100+ for a haircut and men around £10-20 - it's not skill, or time necessarily. It's just how it is accounted for. Women don't just walk in, they book. That leaves a trail and it means that payments are processed correctly. That drives the price up.

Get ready to be paying far, far more in the future.
  • I would happily pay more for a haircut if I knew that the barber was getting their fair cut and taxes were being paid. 
    Then again I'm speaking from the position of someone who has no intention of going back now that my wife does a good job of using the clippers on my bonce.
  • I hate having my hair cut and I hate the people that do it.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • I did say earlier that I tip too, but I'm generally against the practice, because it's a case of everyone involved in the transaction lying to themselves about what its value is and it perpetuates the problem that it is trying to solve.

If workers were paid fair amounts, then the culture of tipping would pretty much disappear. It would also remove a lot of inequality in the system - for example, the waiter/waitress will often keep the tip, but the tip often represents the whole experience of eating out (such as being welcomed, the bar, the quality of the food, etc.).

I was listening to a podcast not that long ago about a restaurant that's increased their prices and removed tipping - so that people can actually see what the value of a meal is. It seemed to be something that will become more common in the future.
  • I find hairdressers to be dull and if they even attempt to engage in conversation I sneer at them and whisper 'focus on the fade, for fuck's sake' before continuing to pretend to sleep and get slightly aroused when they touch my head.

A senior judge, recently deceased, who may or may not be related to Dom Cummings, once told me an anecdote about Enoch Powell; the barber asked him how he liked his hair to be cut. "in complete silence" was the reply.

Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Syph79 wrote:
    All anyone had to question is why women pay £100+ for a haircut and men around £10-20 - it's not skill, or time necessarily. It's just how it is accounted for. Women don't just walk in, they book. That leaves a trail and it means that payments are processed correctly. That drives the price up. Get ready to be paying far, far more in the future.

I see your point, but I'm not sure it's quite a like-for-like comparison. cuts on long hair can often require a time slot twice as long as one on short hair. plus hairdressers often (but not always) train for longer. You could go to an average hairdresser and get a decent men's cut, because most of them will also be trained in giving one, but you certainly couldn't expect the same when going to a barber with long hair. further, many peeps working at the salon will also be trained as colourists too. 

of course, there is a lot of skill in barbering, and some really talented barbers, however, the nature of men and the cuts they go for mean cheaper barber shops can operate a bit like an assembly line (although of course the good ones don't). you could have someone trained from 0 and have them cutting on the shop floor in just a couple of months, if you just have them doing the basic stuff. You could never do that at a salon, because women generally have higher standards and expectations for this stuff. many men will keep on going to the same barber over and over so long as it doesn't look shit. most women, however, will expect it to look great if they are to consider returning.
  • I pay £30 for my haircut.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • MattyJ wrote:
    I pay £30 for my haircut.

I wouldn't ;)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!