Where next for online MP FPSes? (The next big thing?)
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    I know a lot of people think online massive is the future direction but frankly I can't be arsed.

Maybe it's because I'm a grumpy old get but I much prefer the relatively stripped down TF2. It doesn't even have levels afaict and your weapon unlocks are just random drops.

Happily there'll probably always be different styles of game available because I can't see me getting into a massive online time sink again. Dunno, would have to play it to be proved wrong I guess.
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    Mod74 wrote:
    Maybe it's because I'm a grumpy old get but I much prefer the relatively stripped down TF2. It doesn't even have levels afaict and your weapon unlocks are just random drops.

TF2 stripped down??? I thought you liked everyone with same tools? In TF2 there are tons of different weapons that you won't have (and many used to be unlocked via achievements as well). TF2 is a great game but FFS, you have idle servers set up just for trying to unlock weapons and hats!

• Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I do very much like the idea of a Bear and Badger base existing on a server somewhere where we can all drop in and head off for some noob pwning action together. That sounds like fun.
  • Mod74 wrote:

TF2 stripped down??? I thought you liked everyone with same tools? In TF2 there are tons of different weapons that you won't have (and many used to be unlocked via achievements as well). TF2 is a great game but FFS, you have idle servers set up just for trying to unlock weapons and hats!

Most of the time the stock tf2 weapons are better than the drops though so its often irrelevant. The soldier rocket launcher for example.

the thing that annoys me about tf2 is how easy it is for one team to start spawn a camping decimation session going with the other team not able to leave their base.
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    Frosty wrote:
    Most of the time the stock tf2 weapons are better than the drops though so its often irrelevant. The soldier rocket launcher for example.

the thing that annoys me about tf2 is how easy it is for one team to start spawn a camping decimation session going with the other team not able to leave their base.

Fair point on the weapons but as you say it isn't always the case. Anyhoo, it's not what I'd call a stripped down game, there's a fair few intricacies you need to learn to play it.

• It's a "purer" game than something like cod. It's all about the mechanics and map knowledge rather than added on crap like perks and kill streaks. If you get what I mean.

I know how much of a wank using the word purer in relation to a game makes me fyi.
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    Frosty wrote:
    It's a "purer" game than something like cod. It's all about the mechanics and map knowledge.

I'm fairly sure this is what many of us were basically saying about earlier Halo's. Full circle and all that.

• Such a wank, pal.
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    I think that Halo and CoD are as far removed from each other as physically possible.

I get the point of the power weapons and its a good one. It promotes map knowledge and teamwork, something that seems ever elusive in CoD. Well, maybe not the map knowledge. I just wish I was good at the fucker. I do this every time it comes out, I'll pick it up next Friday and cry myself to sleep Friday evening.

CoD needs to veer away from the killstreak stuff. It's just too mental at the moment.
    It's a goddamn snoozefest out there.
  • And Mod is still fairly miserably to understand what it is power weapons do for Halo. There's also a discussion happening here over asymmetric vs symmetric game design (go read Sirlin for more on that). Mod seems to want symmetrical game design and thinks that any form of asymmetric game design is inherently unbalanced. Thing is, a completely symmetrical game design for Halo would lead to absolute stalemate. You need to be given reason to move in the majority of situations and that's because the defending player should always have the superior position (if he's not a numpty).

On the talk of how do you balance for noobs vs pros. You balance for pros and separate noobs from pros with a proper matchmaking system. Then any percieved inbalances at the noob end of the scale are actually down to the lack of skill, experience or teamwork of the players. The solution to it is to get better. If I were designing a game that'd be my dominant philosophy of game testing and balance. However, you also want the game to be fun and reasonably balanced for noobs so I'd want to make design decisions to help them whenever possible as long as they didn't compromise the game for the pro players. That's basically Blizzard's testing/balance philosophy with Starcraft although they might have made too many concessions to the noob end of the scale with SC2.
    GT: Knight640
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Knight wrote:
    And Mod is still fairly miserably to understand what it is power weapons do for Halo.

What do they do then? Please try to answer without being a dick.
  • Please try to answer without being a dick.

Oh the irony.

Both me and others have said multiple times what they do.
    GT: Knight640
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    Indeed, accurate matchmaking would make competitive games so much better. Obviously you'll get an anomaly every now and again as a better player moves upwards but it's something that doesn't seem to garner as much attention as it should or at least it feels that way to me.

But then you need to factor in teamwork. It'll usually always win even if the individual skills are wonky.
    It's a goddamn snoozefest out there.
  • You are all wrong.

Bad Company (1 not 2) had the class/weapons locked down. It's all been backwards since then.
    4 classes all with the same weapon for that class. No sniper running around with machine gun shit.
    Each class tailored for its role, with a advantage/disadvantage to its weapon set, based on that role. This gave it the variety without unbalancing the game.
    One game mode (initially) I.e. Rush. No excuses eg "I normally play deathmatch. What am I supposed to be doing?".
    No killstreaks, play for the win not for the KDR.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • im no good at these. They should make them so they can be controlled by mouse instead. It would make it easier to aim at things.
    How about an FPS where the s stands for swordplay. Like dark souls with 20 people and no back stabs.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
  • im no good at these. They should make them so they can be controlled by mouse instead. It would make it easier to aim at things. How about an FPS where the s stands for swordplay. Like dark souls with 20 people and no back stabs.
    http://www.chivalrythegame.com/

• Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    I was always pretty crap whenever I played but Bad Company seemed to be as close to levelling skill-sets across all the classes.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Way way back, Vela asked if I meant asynchronous or asymmetric.

I meant the latter.

Herp derp.
  • The former: you shoot at regmcfly with shotgun from three tiles away. END TURN Y/N?
  • mk64 wrote:
    Knight wrote:
    I'm trying to think of a power weapon from H3 which spawned in a place you actually wanted to stay in... there was sword in The Pit (which was badly positioned) but then I'm struggling. Mod seems to have some crazy idea of power weapons in Halo where you sit and camp waiting for it to come up and then sit and camp in the same place once you've got it... it's almost like he's never played the game.
    snipes on the pit. S1 and S2 snipe and shotty on guardian

The sniper spawned at the base of the tower, and you had to either go up the ramp, or use the grav lift to get to the top of the tower which is where everyone actually went with them. So to get to the best position to use the weapon, you had to move from where it spawned. In doing so, you made yourself open from all sides.

The shotgun on Guardian, I rarely remember people staying there, because you had no exit. You were a sitting duck for grenades, and people could drop in on you from the top. What people actually tended to do was take it with them. You were more likely to encounter the shotgun at the top of gold, on the elbow or at the over shield.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I love Guardian. My fondest Halo memories are team doubles with a mate on that map.
  • Olimite wrote:
    I was always pretty crap whenever I played but Bad Company seemed to be as close to levelling skill-sets across all the classes.

Word bredda.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • mk64 wrote:
    Knight wrote:
    I'm trying to think of a power weapon from H3 which spawned in a place you actually wanted to stay in... there was sword in The Pit (which was badly positioned) but then I'm struggling. Mod seems to have some crazy idea of power weapons in Halo where you sit and camp waiting for it to come up and then sit and camp in the same place once you've got it... it's almost like he's never played the game.
    snipes on the pit. S1 and S2 snipe and shotty on guardian

The sniper spawned at the base of the tower, and you had to either go up the ramp, or use the grav lift to get to the top of the tower which is where everyone actually went with them. So to get to the best position to use the weapon, you had to move from where it spawned. In doing so, you made yourself open from all sides.

The shotgun on Guardian, I rarely remember people staying there, because you had no exit. You were a sitting duck for grenades, and people could drop in on you from the top. What people actually tended to do was take it with them. You were more likely to encounter the shotgun at the top of gold, on the elbow or at the over shield.

Fair enough it's not sitting in place of the weapon but camping a second (gameplay time) from pick up is near enough camping when people traverse 3-4 seconds of space back and forth. You are pretty well covered picking up snipes and going up the lift or heading back up and over.

Same with shorty. Head up the ramp or hop into gold (2 seconds) and camping starts. At top level you will be called out on lift to snipe 1 in guardian but you can't avoid it or gold in most slayer matches.

The put is the better example and often two hardcore snipes will stalemate that half of the map stopping movement.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • It takes seven seconds to get from shotty to gold by using the jump, and eleven by going up gold lift. If you go up the ramp as you suggest, it takes twelve seconds if you use the jump, or fourteen if you go round the elbow. It takes fourteen to get to OS using the man cannon.

It takes six seconds to get from snipes to regen using the lift, and ten seconds going up the ramp.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    picture-7.png
  • So shotty to elbow is 14? Snipe to s1 is about 5/6.

And on the pit from the start on a map that size you get snipe and cannon upto the ledge safe also likely on respawn. How many times have you picked up snipe and not made it up?
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Forum spazzed on my phone
  • Forum spazzed on my phone
  • mk64 wrote:
    So shotty to elbow is 14? Snipe to s1 is about 5/6. And on the pit from the start on a map that size you get snipe and cannon upto the ledge safe also likely on respawn. How many times have you picked up snipe and not made it up?

Plenty. If you meet someone coming from flag, sword or OS there is a good chance you won't make it up. Also if there is already someone up there.

Feel free to post that pic again Mod.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!