ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    hahahaa, I'd not thought of that. This laptop is my first experience of using a touchscreen for anything productive. Would have been nice if 8 had just simply had a button, which you could disable all touch screen stuff including the difference corners thing, but with 10 out now I guess it's irrelevant. I imagine the last few pages are discussing 10, I'l go back and have a look, I'll probably put it on in a couple of weeks
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • You can disable a great deal of it, but you really have to go 'round the houses; disabling services and everything. And the touch keyboard button keeps coming back in its own, anyway. Like you say, though, it's pretty irrelevant now. I just hope they sort out their updating policy in the next twelve months.
  • My task bar is at the top (where it should be).

It always amuses me when (on my work machine), desktop support log in remotely and always spend a few seconds down the bottom of the screen looking for the start button.

W8 is a fucking disgrace of an OS BTW. Horrible unusable shite.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Wow that was weird, having literaly just been evangelising the touch screen, the Dell decided to turn touch screen off. Weirdly it was power management, under USB input device, I guess it uses a (real or virtual) internal USB hub to route the inputs. Yet it was set up to turn off and save power when not in use. Thought I'd broken it for a minute

Got a few mates who have task bar at the side, strangely the majority choose the left rather than the right. I think you're all weirdos, I tried it for a couple of days a few years back, couldn't get used to it. But then I'm the kind of guy who always puts Windows Classic theme on and turns Aero off. I tell myself I'm saving processor cycles, but I guess really it just comforts me. Was a little gutted that Win8 didn't have it so I just chose that crappy blue as my desktop colour instead
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Left and right are both fine positions for the task bar, both with their advantages. Top makes absolutely no sense beyond the clock being in a good place because all the title bar buttons are away from the screen edge.
  • WorKid wrote:
    W8 is a fucking disgrace of an OS BTW. Horrible unusable shite.

Not that I want to sound like mod, but if you tap the windows key on win 8 it drops back from the touch/gesture front end to the trad desktop environment with all the usual windows trappings, so calling it unusable shite seems a bit harsh, especially when you can set it to boot into desktop so you don't have to see the new front end ever again if you didn't want to.

"Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • AJ wrote:
    Left and right are both fine positions for the task bar, both with their advantages. Top makes absolutely no sense beyond the clock being in a good place because all the title bar buttons are away from the screen edge.

It's the same place as menu bars are. So when you switch applications you can use the menus immediately.

It makes absolute sense having the task bar where the task bar equivalent of applications ie the menu (and/or ribbon) bar is. That is, at the top.
  • Phone design seems to put the taskbar at the top too.

Personal preference and all that. One of my previous companies locked down the desktop so tight I couldn't even move the taskbar around, never mind change wallpapers, map drives or anything else.

I reckon I was 5% less productive. :)
  • Good point about the menus, I hadn't thought of that. guess it depends what you're doing. Bottom's still wrong, though.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Woah all this Windows 8 hate, I've been using it for a year now and have zero complaints.

Y'all are fucking mental.
  • I prefer it to 7, ftr.
  • Sooo....
    Has anyone here tried upgrading their mac windows bootcamp partition?
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Being dumb I reinstalled 10. This time I think it's worked fine. I going to have to find a workaround for my external sound card though, as it doesn't have any driver. I even got the Xbox to stream games to the pc and it works fine. A bit pointless though.
  • Kow wrote:
    A bit pointless though.

Unlesss you are one of the forum betas that cant use the tv during the evening cos their Mrs doesn't understand the hobby that takes up most of their life.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Well it's a bit pointless because if you need very precise control then it's a bit off and also the graphics have that washed out streamed look. Apart from that it's usable enough, I suppose.
  • Kow wrote:
    Being dumb I reinstalled 10. This time I think it's worked fine. I going to have to find a workaround for my external sound card though, as it doesn't have any driver.

What is it? Would ASIO4all work?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    It's a Roland UA-4FX. The drivers are currently being tested but I have a feeling they'll never show up. I have a tampered with driver that should work with a little bit of fiddling with Windows. I've never heard of ASIO4all.

Edit: Just had a look, that might work. Cheers for that!
  • Tried putting the taskbar at the top. Actually does feel quite alright. Nice suggestion guys. Every day, I learn a little bit more ( also forget a whole lot more but we'll ignore that)
    SFV - reddave360
  • Well, this is just wonderful. Windows 10 has decided to start downloading and I can't seem to stop it. I now can't use my laptop on my phone's internet connection, which I really need to for work. Fuck you, Microsoft.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    I've gone all windows 10 Professional.

Yeah, it's windows. No biggie on 8(.1), but I've reinstated the full screen start menu. That tiny thing is ugly.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Okay so I don't like some new sounds.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • I recently caught win7 installing win10 in the background even though I set updates to manual.
    I cancelled it for now. Just what are you trying to do ms?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Still no nothing for me
  • hunk wrote:
    I recently caught win7 installing win10 in the background even though I set updates to manual. I cancelled it for now. Just what are you trying to do ms?

I did this to fix it: http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/how-stop-windows-10-upgrade-downloading-your-system
  • Ah cheers for that!
    This will do untill I'm ready to take the plunge with win10.
  • Upgrading my new tiny laptop to 10 from 8. Can't be any worse. 8 is just a mess, it's like a mobile OS and a desktop OS mashed together. Well okay that's exactly what it is.

I'm still sticking with 7 for my main machine though.
  • Out of my 3 machines the two that were w8 have converted over to w10 with no probe. The w7 pc seemed fine but the OneDrive isn't working (a pain cause I use it a lot) so I may need to reinstall. Anyone else had this glitch? Basically the OneDrive folders are there but aren't actually connected to the internet so never sync or update.
    SFV - reddave360
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    My work PCs are only just getting upgrades to win7
  • Be thankful for that, we've got clients that are still on XP.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!