Windows 8
  • Found this on reddit:

http://pastebin.com/BGrcKUJE

If you want a bit more privacy/no targeted ads.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    No driver for my soundcard. Fuck it.
  • Btw, if anyone finds programs dropping out with floating point exceptions all of a sudden, it's because the latest Nvidia driver has a divide by zero and will crash any apps that have floating point exceptions enabled. Rollback to an earlier driver or wait for nvidia fix.
  • WorKid wrote:
    See this is why I'm sticking with 7.

• regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Wife said the PC has fixed itself so I dunno.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Updates won't find anything either so just keeps looking endlessly. Can't choose other apps for various functions because the store won't work. Might have to revert to 7.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Lost all sound now. And it won't hold my preferences for keyboards etc. That's it, back to 7, waste of time.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Fun times!

Sorry, I realise that must suck. You should grab 8.1 after this, Kow.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • God no. Avoid 8 / 8.1 like the fucking plague. It's like getting bad aids on a wet Tuesday in Middlesbrough.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    The option to return to 7 hasn't worked, and has fucked the machine completely. Going to have to clean install Windows 7. If I knew where to direct an email, someone would be getting an earful.
  • Wow, that sounds absolutely insane. Borks all over the shop.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Glad I didn't upgrade now.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Luckily I had the foresight to back up the most important stuff but it still means a lot of reinstalling. That's it, sticking with Windows 7, fuck 8 and fuck Microsoft and their free shit.
  • Clean installing is probably safest rather than an upgrade, but yeah there's definitely some bullshit bugs that shouldn't be happening. I think they really should have delayed the release date another couple of months.
  • Well its not all bad. Its running more or less fine for me, with the odd hiccup here and there. To be fair very odd. The thing that I find the most odd though is why this took so long. So far all it seems to be is a more attractive and sensible set up of windows 8. Some things are in better places, everything looks a little nicer but thats the main bones of it. The music is still a bit on the "meh" side (although not nearly as bad as the old app), the apps themselves are still ok but you have a pc so will get much better programs anyway and th cortana / search things seems to be massively over-prioritised. Its a good search engine but Windows 8 search was probably the one really great thing about it. 

I know that there is a lot of stuff under the hood which I'm missing and that this initial roll out is still somewhat part of the testing phase but I kinda wish MS had waited a few more months and really nailed these apps to prove the point of them. 

Still like it, but I wonder how I would have felt if I had to pay for it.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Roujin wrote:
    Its good enough for replacing your notepad completely.

Use mine at work all the time in meetings to take minutes and also you can hook it to the project to to draw pikchures for the thickies.

That's great, thanks.

I've been really frustrated trying to find this information online because so many video reviewers, when reviewing styluses, say "see, it's good for notes" while writing massive fucking letters! For me, good for notes means you can write small-ish and it's fast and legible. I tried using an iPad for note taking but it's just not up to it.

It's nice that someone I know can say that it is actually good for a real-world note taking usage.
  • Oh, also...sorry, more questions. Don't mean to be annoying, just nice to have access to someone with actual experience of the machine for the same purpose as myself:

Is it possible to tag OneNote stuff? Like, if I had multiple classes, could I tag an entry as [grammar, lesson 4, passive voice] and then do a quick search on it later?

Or is it just a matter of setting up a notebook per class and using a page per lesson?

Also, I tried OneNote on the iPad (didn't see tagging, hence the questions) and I had problems using it offline without having to root through settings. Does it work OK offline on the surface?

Sorry again, and thanks a bunch.
  • There's no tagging in the win8.1 version, the win10 version has been upgraded, but I'm not sure its in there.

You can create new notebooks and new sections in each book though, so you could set it up that way, to keep everything easier to find.

Offline works the same as online, it just needs to go online to sync your notes to OneDrive or wherever it keeps them.

I find I write the same size on the surface as I do on paper with no problem. The thinnest pen line in 8.1 was about the same as a fountain pen or if you were pressing firmly with a biro. Just twigged you're writing stuff in mandarin or cantonese, so I hope that helps to give you an idea of how small you could write. But since each page has no end, I dont think writing size ends up being a problem.

Also, I find that on balanced power settings I get about 6-8 hours of battery time on my Surface 2, so that's good for the whole day normally as you can be quite judicious with the sleep setting because it resumes really quickly.

Finally, the reason I think the Surface is better than a lot of devices is because its a wacom digitiser under the screen that's handling the stylus touch, and the pens for surface are also made by wacom. Pretty sure that's still the case on the Surface 3 as well.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • See this is why I'm sticking with 7.
  • Surface 3 is n-trig, not wacom as far as I know. Heard it holds up fine, though.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Right I keep getting a notification that my iCloud storage is full in the bottom right corner. Apple seems to be wanting me to buy more. I want that notification to fuck off. Any help?
  • WorKid wrote:
    See this is why I'm sticking with 7.

Yes, everybody knows.
  • I still had one more left in me.

Did I remember right that MS would be doing more frequent incremental upgrades from now on rather than big every 5 years rip it up and start again releases?
  • My computer won't sleep, or turn the screen off. I'm going back to 3.1.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Mine seems to be tickety boo. Have a real issue with "Cortana" especially considering her current Halo 4 sexy stripper mad slave guise. I really don't want sexy slave to assist me through life. Don't want to be the Jabba of PC.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    New place all runs on 8.1 so this is my first experience of it. Can't stand it and the things I dislike I doubt are going to get any better any time soon. However, using this laptop I have to state that keyboard and touch is much better than trackpad or even mouse. Maybe it's because I've been using touchscreen phones for the last decade but yeah, it feels really good to do things this way
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Its okay cocks, that 8.1 front end is sort of getting fucked in the bin on 10.

But aye, touch plus keys is nice, except I now keep poking normal laptop screens like a momo when I'm using one.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Glad to hear that, I want a desktop, a proper one. It's stupid things like the windows key being lower left but search then appearing upper right, literally as far away as possible, after an hour or so I started using windows+s but it was far from intuitive. Not looking forward to work tomorrow as I'll be back in the office and though the screens are lovely they're not touch, so I'll feel your momo-ness
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Touchscreens are shit at work; someone's pointing at something on a screen and without warning the page goes flying or something gets set off.
  • I've got my task bar on the right of the screen (where it should be) so search pops up directly over it. It doesn't stop them including a phantom start button that still pops up in the bottom left, though. I actually preferred the hot corner style start button, like in OG Win8, but it'd be nice if you could move it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!