Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Correction, the bastard was on the roof.
  • Hey Frantic! It's later! Playing OldCOM and shot a sectoid through a window. Marvelling at my tactical nous, I then moved a guy only for him to be sniped in one shot from an upstairs window. I'm now on the lookout for some pro tips.

Soldiers get stat boosts from being promoted. The quickest way to be promoted is get kills. So early game, go all out explosives (except for the insides of Alien ships) to level up your soldiers quickly.

Also bring tanks, but don't use them to kill aliens. Just use them to scout. Tanks don't level up, soldiers do.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Er, everyone is dying as an alien keeps on popping out of his ship and shooting them.
  • Yeah, I used to hate that. Ended up having to do a retreat and wiiiiiiiide flank. 

Re: guy on the roof
    BURN HIM OUT
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Eventually you'll get to a point where your guys just stay in the Interceptor while they mind control aliens while your hover tanks scout. Gets a bit dull then. 

Of course, getting to that point is nigh on impossible on your first 30 attempts. 

You're welcome for the tip btw.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I've eventually sussed out that it's best to keep time units in the tank and let them walk into my fire istead of me walking into theirs. It's a shame I lost seven soldiers on my first mission though.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Went on a terror mission. I've landed right in the middle of the shit, can't even get out of the plane as a dinosaur looking thing has just blocked the front of it. I can only shoot at it with the front two soldiers as if any of the guys behind them fire they kill those in front. 

XLOL.
  • Went on a terror mission. I've landed right in the middle of the shit, can't even get out of the plane as a dinosaur looking thing has just blocked the front of it. I can only shoot at it with the front two soldiers as if any of the guys behind them fire they kill those in front.  XLOL.

The guys in front can crouch and the ones behind can shoot over their heads.

If a terror mission is too much for you right now, just fly to it and immediately abort. You'll lose less points this way than not going to it at all.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Nah, fuck this. Bring on the new one.
  • I used to take one disposable rookie on each mission. When the aliens are cowering in their ship i'd send him in; two primed grenades in each hand.

Research blaster launcher asap. But never fire it from within your ship

Tank scouting is especially important when chrysalids are about. Don't let those fuckers near anyone.
  • Nah, fuck this. Bring on the new one.

Even by today's standards it gets rather special if you give it some time.
  • If the first one is too hard for you, then don't even bother with Terror from the Deep.
  • Paul, sounds like your main problem as you pointed out is that you are not leaving your troops either behind cover, or with enough time units left over to return fire during the enemy turn if your guys have good enough responses. 

The first few missions are the toughest, unarmoured, terrestrial weaponry, getting one shotted by aliens wielding the tiniest of alien pea shooters. 

Take it slow and steady, where possible I always send my guys out in pairs, and if there is a lone alien in a downed UFO waiting in ambush you can just mill around outside in cover, crack the occasional shot at the doors to scare him, eventually if you keep ending your turn then you should see a message during the enemy turn that the alien has panicked, this normally means they run away, spaz out and drop all their gear, or spaz out and fire wildly inside the UFO. Either way their action points will all have been used up and they will be unable to retaliate when you kick the fucking door in as they are shitting themself. 

Oh and always research med kits first and make sure all your guys carry them, if you work in pairs and one solider gets shot but lives, a buddy on hand with a medkit will be the difference between life and bleeding out on the floor.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • I reckon we should all buy this anyway, hopefully if it does well they'll get to porting the originals to handhelds/iOS with shiny gwaforx etc.

Xcom on your iPad, fucking hell I can't frig myself hard enough.
  • If you have android you can get dosbox and run the original PC version rom through that. 

WP7 and iOS users are shit outta luck. 

God damnit they should have raised extra funding for the new version by re-releasing the old one on XBLA/PSNa and as many phone OS's as possible.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    I reckon we should all buy this anyway,

Anyway? I couldn't be more excited. Had it on pre order for months!
  • FranticPea wrote:
    Tempy wrote:
    I reckon we should all buy this anyway,

Anyway? I couldn't be more excited. Had it on pre order for months!

Yes we know you keep banging on about it.

Reiterate: those who are feeling a bit put off should buy it anyway. Fractic should err, refrain from putting it down his pants, plays better in the console pal.

• I wonder, will this have loot?  I know the purists here won't like it, but finding alien weaponary on the battlefield and having your squad members equip it in future battles would be kinda neat.  Worked really well in Dawn of War 2.

I suppose the tech & research trees make havin' LOOT a tad uneccessary though?
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    You did find loot in the first one but you had to research it before you could use it, not just equip it and away you go.

Frantic mentioned that the aliens could storm your base in the original, ten minutes later they did just that, despite having a missile launcher and a large radar. Everyone got wiped out. Oh well.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    You find loot in the new one, but yeah, you have to research it. Using grenades lowers the chance of getting an aliens weapon intact- you may just get fragments of it instead.
  • PTS's stories about the oldCom are bringing back fond memories.  I originally had the game on Amiga, it would crash at random times, usually either as you were starting a mission or as you were finishing.  Was very frustrating, but carried on regardless due to the sheer immensity of the game.

Just hovering over the pre-order button on steam...
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Remember the dodgy inventory? Well annoying when
    It just randomly equipped your guys.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Michael McCann has done the music. His Deus Ex soundtrack was awesome, really happy about that.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    So, turns out the 30 mission thing is if you're doing incredibly well on Normal difficulty. The story missions are driven by how well your research is going, and you can choose it when you like. Basically, you could sit and scan for alien activity all day long and do terror missions and UFO crashes sites forever. 

Of course, you'd end up doing maps you've already seen. There's actually 100+, and the spawn point is random for your squad. 

So as long as the council is happy you can carry on researching and promoting squad members as long as you like.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Good news. I think I'd rather play variants of 80 odd good maps than an infinite number of random quality maps. Roll on next Thursday.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Loving the idea that your troops can become so battle scarred that they will become unpredictable the second they step onto the battlefield. Save him for a rainy day, hunker down the rest of your units in hard cover and watch him level the area with a rocket launcher.
  • That sounds like the reverse of the early missions where your dudes would start freaking out if they saw people getting turned into zombies by the Chrysalids or if the psionic attacks started, or if a high ranking officer nearby died.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    That can still happen I believe.
  • You know it's funny, being a huge fan of the first one and Terror from the deep I didn't even know this existed until Eurogamer. Every time I saw something about an Xcom game I thought it was the FPS that I have no interested in.

Now I'm gonna book the day off work and just power through it.

The more I read the better it gets. Ironman mode ala Fire Emblem sounds brilliant and has to be done, the Deus EX music bloke is doing the sound. I'm thrilled.

Question:
    Can I name my own squad members? I really need to do this.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!