Retro Club - 8 & 16-bit puzzlers
  • nick_md wrote:
    Surprised no mention of the soundtrack.
    nick_md wrote:
    In fact just listening to DKC and DKC2 OSTs, I think DKC is miles better, but damn Stickerbrush Symphony is like all time top 3.

I was texting retro about it last night.  The gist: the music in DKC2 is fine (good in many places) but the first game would comfortably win a head to head.
  • that water theme song in the first dkc is so good. There's a looped 10 hour video of it on YT somewhere
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Just started dkc and it's aged quite nicely, like a fine wine.
    Will probably revisit the whole trilogy and post my thoughts later.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • I started Tropical Freeze again this morning, which I've played through twice in co-op but not given much time to solo. Bosses are much trickier without the balloon save option but having 5HP takes some of the sting out of the main stages. I'm in it for the KONG letters and secret exits for the first time ever, let's do this.

I won't bother pretending I'm up for finding all the jigsaw pieces though.
  • Working through DKC3 very slowly atm, just an hour or two at weekends. Will report back once I'm a bit further in, enjoying so far but not as much as 1 or 2 (not that I've played those in 20+ years I'd say).
  • nick_md wrote:
    Working through DKC3 very slowly atm, just an hour or two at weekends.

Snap, about 2 hours in atm.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • This is quite enjoyable. I started 1 and 2 on the SNES the other day. My biggest grip was the camera that has a life of its own and made me miss some jumps. The graphics are ace, though . Never had consoles in my yoof, so all these games passed me by.
    PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • DKC1 is fantastic bouncy fun. Great gameplay, great level design; the Miyamoto touch is quite evident. On Rare's behalf, they did a great job on the engine, visuals and audio. So much polish you can see your face in it.

Groundbreaking 16-bit title, I might just finish the game this time.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    DKC1 is a splendid game. One of the new non Mario platformers I ever bothered to complete. That puts it with Prince of Persia, Buster Busts Loose, Gods and Legend of Mystical Ninja. It's in good company.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I've found the ten secret exits in Tropical Freeze (leading to twelve sub stages, all of which contain KONG letters), most of which seem to require Dixie Kong as your assist character to reach, which is odd considering each buddy has their own attributes. If you collect the full Kong sets in each world you unlock a 'K' stage, which has no checkpoints (yikes) and grants you a relic piece upon completion. I've only got one so far, but it took a few attempts. I'm unsure what I'm working towards but I'm up for it in theory, it all depends if I've got the skills to get there.
  • Turns out I'm playing on Funky Mode by mistake, which means I've got three hearts with DK rather than two, plus three rather than two with a companion. I continued from the save I'd completed with Tilly to revisit the stages, didn't realise there were changes to the game even of you don't select Funky. I can live with that.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I need to put Tropical Freeze onto my Switch to get list. I really liked DKCR on Wii and I hear Tropical Freeze is even better.
  • I'd be surprised if you didnt like it.  NSMBU is a finely crafted modern Mario game by all accounts (I've only played to credits so can't comment on the intricacies), but Tropical Freeze is at least on par imo.  Both are peak modern 2D platformers that history would remember as noteworthy classics had they released in an earlier era, but the genre doesn't seem to get as many gamers hyped these days.

The weight and bounce of the characters in the recent DKC games is perfect.  Returns was very good but Tropical Freeze is superb.
  • As per usual with most games these days, some of the optional stuff is proving to be the best.  There's plenty of inventiveness saved up for the secret stages. 

Behold, the checkpointless Bopopolis, and marvel at how smoothly this chap blooters through it:

That's what it's all about.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Aye. That has me wanting to go back to DKCR for starters. Not sure how far I got in it - was pretty deep in. The Wii had so many games coming out around that time it was hard to stay with one game. That's my excuse anyhow. I found myself going for TT times instead of progressing too. The only thing that put me off was the shake control that was forced on us. It wasn't bad but it felt contrived and for a game with the level of challenge it had didn't feel like a good match.
  • Waggle is buried in the options of TF.  It worked, but much like Punch-Out! on Wii it was better without imo (I'd reach for the 3DS version if I ever replayed DKCR).
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Wii Punchout motion control was too bloody energetic. I tried with the balance board too - was genuinely tiring.  :)
  • I've gone from 66% complete after reaching the credits on Tropical Freeze to a far more respectable 84%. Three worlds of full KONG letters, secret stages and K stages done. I'm expecting some roughstuff ahead but it's superb.
  • It's reminding me of Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts slightly in single player, in that having a sub character on your back makes it so much easier. Hanging onto them is key (like the gold armour).
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I've gone from 66% complete after reaching the credits on Tropical Freeze to a far more respectable 84%. Three worlds of full KONG letters, secret stages and K stages done. I'm expecting some roughstuff ahead but it's superb.

I remember we got 100% on the Wii game, and only played to the credits on Wii U. Damn shame it isn't online co-op, I think we would have done it on Switch.

オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Yeah it's a shame online co-op doesn't seem to be such a big deal any more. Hopefully the 3DW port has paved the way for Nintendo pulling their finger out. I don't suppose covid has hurt the chances of online co-op for future releases either.

The last stage on DKCR was brutal. Each of the K stages in Tropical Freeze are along those lines, but nowhere near as tricky so far.
  • I've seen a couple of reviews that mentioned Tropical Freeze is the trickiest in the series, but I had more trouble with DKC2 recently (well, I didn't have much trouble thanks to the save states I started using, but I was constantly thinking 'this is TOUGH' for at least the last couple of worlds). Trying to do it with one checkpoint per stage would've been brutal, TF has three or four per stage and it's a cinch to build up the red balloons. It's hard ofc, but surely DKC2 is nastier.
  • Apologies for this becoming my Tropical Freeze blog, but I'm having fun.  I just beat the damp squib 4th world K stage, so I've montaged myself to the point of over-confidence.  I fully expect the final two relic stages to be full capslock EVIL.

Lots of Kong letters to find too, doesn't look like I was too fussed about picking them up in the later stages last time I played.

Am I going to go full jigsaw wanker??
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Never go full jigsaw wanker
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I find/found there was far too much of that for me to get completionist about on DKCR. Similarly with Woolies World. Just not quite fun enough, and the rewards not obviously desirable enough, for it to seem at all tempting.
  • I'm with you on Woolly World, the hunt just isn't moreish enough to demand a player's time if you're not that way inclined, but hard disagree on DKCTF - the extra levels sets that are worthwhile, and I'd wager the expertly designed checkpointless stages are right up your alley.

Worth a watch to assist with a deeper appreciation, mayber (although he does seem to ignore some of the layered hazard work in NSMBU to make his point about layered mechanics in DKCTF):

• 5-K cleared in three attempts. Topoftheworldma.gif
  • It's over! 100% shown on the save file, which is unusual as I've only got maybe 50% of the jigsaws, but that's all stages and Kong letters done, and me with the game. Brilliant stuff.
  • I didn't realise Tropical Freeze has a Time Attack mode with bronze, silver and gold medals, online leaderboards and Trials style viewable replays for all times. Some of the Funky Kong speedruns are insane.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Aye....DKCR has that. Going for medals ended up distracting me from progressing as it's very much my thing.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!