Retro Club - 8 & 16-bit puzzlers
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I picked up my copy of DKC from the Woolworths bargain bin, complete with CD. :)

When SNES games were so expensive I opted for Yoshi's Island at the time and I still say that was the right decision. But DKC is high quality stuff.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • nick_md wrote:
    Are you guys familiar with the 'save point'? It's a DKC2 video of Stickerbush Symphony with a Japanese description that apparently finds its way into people's youtube algorithm, and the popular thought is that it's a 'save point' of life, and if you get it in your list, you're a main character. Like, if you see it pop up in your recommended vids (as I did) then you've reached a save point in life. Ofc it's bollocks, it's just the algorithm, but I love the idea of it. You've reached x years, this is your save point. This is the video that popped up on my recommend vids one day: ...this is the vid that talks about it: ...I dropped a comment on a different version, and it's by far the most commented on thing I've ever done, I get daily notifications about people responding. I think there's something about this piece of music that just makes people stop and take stock, it's such a brilliant, beautiful piece of music (the DKC snes series in general has amazing music). I really enjoy the whole idea of the 'save point' and the piece of music itself. I posted this comment on my bday whilst rather pissed and feeling emotional, apologies: Anyway, I'll enjoy playing DKC3 this month.

Gotta love stuff like this.  Every time you watch a John Prine vid you create a save state though.  Was it DKC or Super Metroid your mate wiped the save for? 

Hang in there m8.
  • I started DKC3 last night, glad to say its very good.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    This one starts off looking slightly iffy, the galleon stages are a bit drab and it's not a visual style time has been kind to on the whole imo

Gotta say I think the pre rendered graphics would look much better on a CRT.

Even the difference between the SNES mini with scanlines compared to the Switch without them in night and day.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Yeah I'd put scanlines on if the app offered them.

Up to world 4, surprised to find out there are 8 in total, according to the reddit page I just found anyway, so it practically screams VFM. I love my Sega classics but their platformers could rarely be described as epic.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    so it practically screams VFM. I love my Sega classics but their platformers could rarely be described as epic.

When I made the links in here for our reviews thats one thing you mentioned in many Nintendo reviews.

I didn't realise it as a kid, but in hindsight Nintendo games definitely tend to have more meat to the bone.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • It's a huge difference sometimes. Kid Chameleon was long (I've still never played that, it's a gaping hole in my Sega history), Magical Hat Turbo Adventure lasted a while, Dynamite Headdy was pretty big. Konami's MD Tiny Toons was surprisingly lengthy. More often that not you'd be looking at 6-8 levels to credits from a lot of Sega stuff though (plenty of other exceptions of course).

This one has 52 stages, it's huge.
  • In the 16-bit era Sega was more sports and arcade oriented in gameplay styles.
    Nintendo was more focussed on unique gameplay experiences tailored to the home (sofa?). Think Zelda, Mario, Metroid.

But aye, the Miyamoto magic touch was everywhere during that time and really makes a difference.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Even the Zelda clones were often short on MD. Soleil and Story of Thor were both under or around 10hrs long on a first playthrough iirc. Thor definitely was.
  • DKC3 is a great game
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Was it DKC or Super Metroid your mate wiped the save for?

It was my 101% on DKC. We were doing a game swap and I had his Super Metroid, the cart of which just got wiped somehow (absolutely swear I didn't do it, it just seemed to be gone one day). He then wiped my DKC in an eye for eye retaliation. Prick.
  • Dokey Kong Cuntery!! I bet he's less of a prick that the wasp boss in DKC2.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Gave DKC3 a go and it's very good but the world map felt a bit ponderous.
  • Yeah I'm not a fan of the world map, so much so it put me off playing it a few occasions.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Anyone wanting to scratch a modern DKC itch could do a lot worse than Yooka Laylee and the Impossible Lair btw.  It has a few issues but it's a good game overall and an excellent one in places.  It's not quite the real thing but it's a very playable homage.    

giphy.gif

I've got the Switch cart so if you fancy borrowing at some point, shout.
  • DKC2 is an brilliant game, plenty of it would still stand up as a modern platformer in terms of control/design, but it's hugely unforgiving.  The levels are quite long and the single restart point is harsh, so I've been on the save states for a while now.  Having to pay coins to save the game is extra 90s too.  

Am I going to have to go back for a certain number of coins to enter the final realm or something?  Please say no.  Quality game and it's all but guaranteed a score in the nicely above 90% range, but I still don't want to backtrack.
  • Just realised you can rewind sections of gameplay in the SNES app :eyes:
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Am I going to have to go back for a certain number of coins to enter the final realm or something?  Please say no.

Yes
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Does it have something to do with the big DK coins?  I'm talking reach the credits here, not unlock secrets.
  • I think you can see the credits without them, they're for a hidden world from what I can remember.

The whole collection bonuses are what let the SNES Trilogy down for me. There's no way to know what your missing and from what level like the Wii series or NSMB games.

If there was a way to track them I think I would have replaced the first two for 100%, or 101/102 - whatever silly number they applied.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I think the original game has an exclamation mark on each level name on the map if you have collected all the bananas (or not - can't remember which way round it is).
  • Donkey Kong Country 2 - SNES

Quality stuff, all things considered it's one of the best 16-bit games, which of course plants it firmly in the toppest tier of early to mid 90s platformers too. I was late to the DK party and the first one I played was the GBA port of DKC, and I don't think I played that until a few years ago. I'd always assumed that deep down it was a B list platformer with snazzy graphics, but I misjudged it with my Sega eyes (I think I wanted it to be average under the surface because I was hugely jealous of how it looked as a youngster - 'but we've got Vectorman!'). The roll and character weight both felt good and the stage layouts were well designed. The sequel is miles better though, which has surprised me again. I'd heard it was the best one and while I'd still say it's not (Tropical Freeze is almost certainly better and I prefer DKCR too) it's remarkably good for 1995. It's huge, varied, playable and packed full of secrets, all of which add up to represent insane value for money when compared to most games of the era. I remember convincing my mate to buy Ren & Stimpy on the MD once, which we polished off in just over an hour. Oops. I was busy chasing polygons when this was released, which was fun at the time but another oops in hindsight.

There are a few weak sections and the trial and error gameplay asks a little too much of the player at times (it's doable, but the final third is definitely on the rough side with one checkpoint per stage). Having to pay coins to save the game is also yikes, but it was a different time. It's hard to fault on the whole, so I'll go with a whopping 95% as its '95 score, it really is/was that good.
  • Banging game, best platformer from the era without Mario in the title imo.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • this is really good. 

Is this the same as the one on the 3ds i played? I don't think it is but this looks awesome
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • No, the 3DS one was a port of the Wii game, this one's a Wii U game that later became a Switch port.

Best game.
  • Surprised no mention of the soundtrack.
  • In fact just listening to DKC and DKC2 OSTs, I think DKC is miles better, but damn Stickerbrush Symphony is like all time top 3.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!