New Super Mario Bros. 2
  • Oh god damn you..... teasing me with that spoiler........

must......not............click................
  • Couldn't sleep till I got it. I got it. Now to bed.
  • i'm on star world/road thing now.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • 50000 coins. Still a few random levels to find, now I've looked harder.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'm on 53,000 coins. Not sure I have any desire to do any more.
  • 61k. I'm on the last level.

I'm not sure considering i'm not even at my first 100k why/how id get to 1million..

I THINK i've unlocked all levels now and have about 4/5 big coins left in total. 3rd one on the last last level of star world is tough actually.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Jesus you guys have got a lot of coins.

Here's the world total as of last night:
    IMG_20120829_222711.jpg

And here's my contribution:
    IMG_20120829_222735.jpg
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • This game might be awesome but its only good for people who have never played a super Mario game EVER.

Firstly the whole fucking format is tired. They even aped the world structure of super Mario 3 (skipping giant world and pipe world -possibly the most interesting worlds in that game- and swapping ice with sky).

The levels seem identical to previous games (didn't I just ride a koopa skeleton roller coaster in the last world of the last fucking game?).

The big coin mechanic is stupid because it slows down platforming and makes you hunt around for random invisible blocks. The worst sin is that you play the game and you can out wit the designers. You think there might be a secret path on the roof but actually they've blocked it. You see a question mark block fly into the sly and the trick is not to use it as a lift but just fall to the earth if you do. (thinking about it this in 3d land- where the goal is far less annoying perhaps because they are physical rather than patience challenges)

By far the cheapest trick is to use small mushroom pipes to entice you to secret rooms. The rewards in these rooms are rarely worthwhile. Either coins (coinscoinscoinscoinscoins) or a one up or six which was nice when the default setting wasn't 500 coins per level.

And coinrush mode? Perhaps the reason for this game focussing on coins and to peddle dlc "packs". Not only is it a shitty example of how to do a high score challenge mode (random levels wtf) its just so boring due to coin collecting lethargy induced in the main game.

a million coins? I'll be luxky to get 0ne tenth of that- what a joke!

Back to Game I think!!
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Disagree on pretty much every point there, but horses for courses.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • This game might be awesome but its only good for people who have never played a super Mario game EVER. Firstly the whole fucking format is tired. They even aped the world structure of super Mario 3 (skipping giant world and pipe world -possibly the most interesting worlds in that game- and swapping ice with sky). The levels seem identical to previous games (didn't I just ride a koopa skeleton roller coaster in the last world of the last fucking game?). The big coin mechanic is stupid because it slows down platforming and makes you hunt around for random invisible blocks. The worst sin is that you play the game and you can out wit the designers. You think there might be a secret path on the roof but actually they've blocked it. You see a question mark block fly into the sly and the trick is not to use it as a lift but just fall to the earth if you do. (thinking about it this in 3d land- where the goal is far less annoying perhaps because they are physical rather than patience challenges) By far the cheapest trick is to use small mushroom pipes to entice you to secret rooms. The rewards in these rooms are rarely worthwhile. Either coins (coinscoinscoinscoinscoins) or a one up or six which was nice when the default setting wasn't 500 coins per level. And coinrush mode? Perhaps the reason for this game focussing on coins and to peddle dlc "packs". Not only is it a shitty example of how to do a high score challenge mode (random levels wtf) its just so boring due to coin collecting lethargy induced in the main game. a million coins? I'll be luxky to get 0ne tenth of that- what a joke! Back to Game I think!!

Couldn't agree more.
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I finished it, have absolutely no desire to play it again. I think a [7] is generous. It's a [6] - a good game, unremarkable and with little to no replay proposition for me.
  • Fair comments by mister crayon on everything, it's personal opinion or taste after all, except for the comment on big coins. The game doesn't really compel you to get them all, you can skip the stupidly hidden ones. You need them to open different routes, but you should be able to get enough during normal course of play and then come back for the really hidden ones once you've finished the game (replay value, whether it appeals or not). You should be getting 2 or all 3 of them during the early stages.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    I concur. I don't feel like going back with a mini mushroom is cheap. No cheaper than having to go back to a previously visited area with a new item in Metroid. I'm quite enjoying going back through the levels and trying to find all the secrets.

I dunno, I can see why people are disappointed, but I'm having too much fun to care that it's similar to previous Marios.

It's always nice to get some innovation, but more of the same (refined and polished to a mirror shine) is also nice sometimes. I mean, we've had three versions of Street Fighter IV already.
  • Even the grumpiest of player must get at least ten hours of pure fun from this. Replayability is a personal thing.
  • I think growing up with Mario gave me a certain expectation of the game. To me its about tight platforming (Mario 1/lost levels/3 are best for this) or making something new or weird happen (yoshis island and 3 are best for this). This one doesn't do either of those that well (I may be jaded perhaps but I really enjoyed Mario 3d so I don't think its the fundamental problem here).

It's telling when the new CoD (a yearly franchise no less) tries more new things than the new Mario game.

Id be interested to see how Mario Wii U panels out. From what I've read it seems like it has more interesting ideas planned.

• regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    WorKid wrote:
    Even the grumpiest of player must get at least ten hours of pure fun from this. Replayability is a personal thing.

TEN HOURS?!? Took me about 4 from world 1-6. I'm not shite at games.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    WorKid wrote:
    Even the grumpiest of player must get at least ten hours of pure fun from this. Replayability is a personal thing.
    TEN HOURS?!? Took me about 4 from world 1-6. I'm not shite at games.

I like to take things mmmmmm slowwwwww.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Just got a SpotPass announcement. 10,000 people have got a million coins. Also, we've passed the 100 billion coin mark collectively, so Nintendo have reached into all our games and opened up all the Toad Houses again.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Great. Still not playing it again.

I realise I sound like a curmudgeonly asshole, but fuck, Mario deserves better than this.

Or maybe he doesn't.
  • God reg, you sound like a curmudgeonly asshole. ;)

Here, have a picture of something cheery:

2759186133_4c3f3ab2ae_b.jpg
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    EvilRedEye wrote:
    Just got a SpotPass announcement. 10,000 people have got a million coins. Also, we've passed the 100 billion coin mark collectively, so Nintendo have reached into all our games and opened up all the Toad Houses again.

Yeah, I just got that. Those 10k must have done nothing but play this since it came out. I've been fairly hard at it and only accumulated ~75k coins. Still working my way through trying to find all the star coins. However, I must be thick or something, because I've yet to unlock either of the ? worlds.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Haha, I went through both of those on my initial playthrough and skipped half the main content.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Yup, I must be a raging imbecile. Without giving it away, can anyone give me some hints?
  • Check the fortresses of worlds 1 and 3.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Cheers much. :)
  • The way to get to a million is by playing coin rush. The max coin rush score is 30k. If you can do the sand method over and over it wouldn't take so long.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Same 3 levels 33 times Go
  • Oh man its like an mmo bur with even less point.
  • If we knock off the goodwill points every game reviewer, particularly Edge, gives Mario this is about a 6, right?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!