Mod - Kinect is shit.
  • None of that sounds better than grabbing the remote and pressing the button.  Bear in mind that you can do that while still watching the thing you're watching, assuming you haven't lost the remote or got one with a shit layout that means you can't, by touch, identify common controls.
  • Also, to round off my feelings on this thread, Kinect not understanding Dante's accent or not being set up correctly in his house absolutely does not make it "shit."
  • Unlikely wrote:
    None of that sounds better than grabbing the remote and pressing the button.  Bear in mind that you can do that while still watching the thing you're watching, assuming you haven't lost the remote or got one with a shit layout that means you can't, by touch, identify common controls.

I don't have a remote for my 360, though.  When I used Netflix on my BR player I didn't miss Kinect, but for something like the 360 I still think it's valuable.  Unlike Sky/DirecTV/BR player etc, you don't have the media stuff to hand when you turn it on, and I prefer being able to just say "Xbox, video, my video apps, Netflix" rather than faff through menus with a controller.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    "Xbox>>Quickplay>>Netflix" is even quicker.
  • Kinect is amazing. Most of the software is uninspiring shite.
  • I use my PS3 for all that stuff so I don't really know how cumbersome the 360 is.  If it's that awkward I can send you a 360 remote I don't use.
  • Without wishing to denigrate anyone, if you've bought a Kinect and you use it for nothing more than a fancy pants remote control you've been had.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    "xbox, stay turned off"
  • Also, why the hell are you lot banging on about voice control for media? Surely that's like the least important feature of Kinect being used in conjunction with the least important part of the 360?
  • Yeah, what unlikely said.
  • WorKid wrote:
    Also, why the hell are you lot banging on about voice control for media? Surely that's like the least important feature of Kinect being used in conjunction with the least important part of the 360?

Because that's the only bit that Dante seems to harp on about.
  • I'm sure its fine if you have a big living room, I use a wired pad though so my controls are faster than Kinect, a-woooosh!
  • If I was Microsoft I wouldn't be looking at how many were sold to the hardcore in the first few weeks, I'd be looking at how sales fell off a cliff after that. To base the new Xbox around it would be...risky, at the very least.
  • Dude, you've bought yourself one expensive controller. Lol.

Edit: @Elm
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Elmlea wrote:
    It's not worth crying about; I just find saying it is better and easier.  Having to turn down the volume to use voice controls was a one-off occurrence, so I wouldn't read too much into that.

I ain't crying- I am attempting to understand the user experience, the notion is mostly about voice control over using the xbox controller from a particular state. At the time the controller apparently was something worth crying about. I've not found any implementation of camera vision or voice to be perfect. That's why I am hypothetically thinking about the kinect in such a scenario and because the loudness of your TV and your problem solving doesn't read as a one off.
    If it's a very loud movie or I have it turned up, sometimes Kinect doesn't hear me very well.  In which case, pushing "mute" on the always-on TV remote followed by "Xbox pause" is still going to be faster than even getting my hands on the controller.

To improve multimodal input technology like kinect you have to ask what are the weakness in current state-of-art products if we want to improve them. Okay 99% of people (including me) here are not responsible for fixing or improving them but it's interesting to analyse and talk about. That's all I am saying.

"Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • JMW wrote:
    If I was Microsoft I wouldn't be looking at how many were sold to the hardcore in the first few weeks, I'd be looking at how sales fell off a cliff after that. To base the new Xbox around it would be...risky, at the very least.
    I'd agree that including it in the box with the new machine seems like a risk. I'm not sure that the hardcore were the ones buying Kinect though.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    I'm still interested in what Dante's response to Mod's question from the other thread is.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • My tuppence worth.

If you want to prance around like a dick in front of the tele box get Tony Hawk Shred. It's like £20 at the most, and it is hilarious fun. Honestly breaks a genuine sweat unlike Wii Fit and and raises a smile unlike Kinect.

I realise I sound nuts but do it, you won't look back.
  • Dance Central is one of the highlights of this gen for me. Genuinely.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    It was pretty great.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    JMW wrote:
    If I was Microsoft I wouldn't be looking at how many were sold to the hardcore in the first few weeks, I'd be looking at how sales fell off a cliff after that. To base the new Xbox around it would be...risky, at the very least.

They didn't fall off a cliff after the first few weeks.

And if the "hardcore" sent Kinect Star Wars to number 1 in the chart and kept it in the top 10 for another 7 weeks then well, I don't know what "hardcore" is anymore.
  • I always thought Hardcore meant people who liked 'proper' games? The hardcore would surely hate it, and instead the ones buying Kinect Star Wars be the kind of folk who just lap up Neckbeard's tepid spunk.
  • Out 22 months and more than half its sales in the first three? How is that not massive decline?
  • The voice commands were amazing for the combat in ME3. No more dropping every 5 seconds to target powers on enemies, change weapons, or give team orders.

Also Dance Central and Kinect Sports are fun. Plus as has already been said, voice comms/pointing at the screen for Netflix.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • beano wrote:
    I'm still interested in what Dante's response to Mod's question from the other thread is.
    Mod74 wrote:
    Mod, I have a Kinect. I use it. It's shit.
    And you said that to every person in GAME who was intending to buy one?

If anyone asks me directly I say I don't think it's all that. If I'm ever asked what's better between it and Move it's Move every time, although they are quite different. Frankly aside from Lightgun games the pad wins every time.

Elm, the voice control isn't my only issue. The gesture control could be significantly better. It is set up correctly. I don't use it for games that often, but when i do I use the tuner so I don't see that it's a setup issue. If it doesn't understand my accent then yes, it is shit, since it's being sold to people other than the Queen, it should understand people who don't speak like that.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    It sold 8 million in the first two months and 10 million in the following 12.

If you have more up to date numbers than the ones on Wikipedia then please share.
  • How is that not a serious decline?
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    How do you not understand commerce?
  • Four million a month for the first two months. Less than a million a month for the next twelve. I've seen figures showing it went up one more million in another five months; that's down to 200,000 a month. You need a graph.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!