The pit(figher)s - the worst games ever.
  • The teenage fantasy anime nonsense surrounding the whole game is another issue altogether; I know a lot of people found it fine because it's certainly portrayed in a pretty campy manner, but that certainly didn't click with me.

I caveat that with saying that obviously, if the junior-grade heart-of-darkness moralising in Far Cry 2 didn't grasp you, then you'd struggle with that in a similar way.
  • If its the looks mainly, then that doesnt make the game shit. If that were the case, then there would hardly be any good games out there. One of your favourites, Trials HD, looks like dog poo for example. But it plays amazingly well.

Edit: @DS. Fucking page turn.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Elmlea wrote:
    FLASH.

All you had to do in Bayonetta was bash the buttons.  I've done my level best to explain some of the interesting and intricate bits of Far Cry 2 numerous times, regarding the story, pacing, re-filling checkpoints, levels of aggression, sniping ability, the whole lot.  I'm yet to read anyone's similar comments on why the things I dislike about Bayonetta are actually worthwhile.

But if you bash buttons on hard mode, you die, because you need to be able to to dodge and use dodge offset against enemies who stop you from engaging which time against them. I've gone on at length about Bayonetta to, and just like some people don't buy your explanations of parts of Far Cry 2, you don't buy into the explanation of the depth on offer in Bayonetta.

Re: tone, looks etc. Bayonetta outstayed its welcome really early on. But that campy shite aside I love the artwork on display and it looks ludicrously good considering all the stuff cracking off. As I said earlier, I've not watched a cutscene in it since my first play through. I'm not there for the story, I'm there to test my reflex and skill against large odds.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    If its the looks mainly, then that doesnt make the game shit. If that were the case, then there would hardly be any good games out there. One of your favourites, Trials HD, looks like dog poo for example. But it plays amazingly well. Edit: @DS. Fucking page turn.

Not just looks, as Tempy said, tone. If a game was two white squares, but it drew me in, I'd be all over it. Graffix are/were/I forget nice.
  • But dodging because you can't just batter buttons isn't an example of depth, it's just a higher difficulty level.  What irritated me is that while there appeared to be 6 billion combos on offer, all of such complexity that it would be completely impossible for a non-savant to remember them all, you didn't really need to use any of them whatsoever.  As the enemies got tougher you couldn't just wade in, but like you said had to employ slightly different tactics in order to engage Witch Time.  But not very different.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I did the whole of GoW 3 without blocking, because fuck blocking.
  • Slightly, heh. Not quite. If it was only slightly different then WT cancelling enemies would be a cakewalk and more people would have cleared Inifinite Climax with a Pure Platinum score. Might be simple in words, executing it is another matter.

Weapons had hundreds of combos, yep. The idea isn't to know them all, but to find ones that you like and that work for you. My staple move set might be different to Jon's for example, as I like to use the whip to drag further away opponents in, combo the group and then do an attack with a wide spread. Staple moves against one enemy might not work against another: the giant axe wielders won't flinch at Durga's floor sweeps, but against a Joy they can let you set up long combos to protect you from their lethal move set when they are mobile.

I'm not saying you couldn't button bash, but just like with Far Cry 2, you could avoid the checkpoins and go off road, or you could barrel into them each and every time. Bayonetta gives you the tools and then you choose to use them or not.
  • Wasting your time, Tempy. They've made up their mind. Just like there's no telling me that CoD is a good game. It's not.
  • Why when the Bayonetta debate arises does everyone pro-Bayonetta fall back on the mechanics as a defence for the game yet never address the fact the presentation is a wet dream for the type of person who has a Hello Kitty shaped rucksack, wears goggles and smells spicy.
  • I have, twice.
  • Because the truth is a world of agony.
  • World of Agony is a probably a J-metal band or album or self-titled album.
  • Why when the Bayonetta debate arises does everyone pro-Bayonetta fall back on the mechanics as a defence for the game yet never address the fact the presentation is a wet dream for the type of person who has a Hello Kitty shaped rucksack, wears goggles and smells spicy.

That's nicely put.  Is this the sort of thing that should be taken into account for reviews?
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I can smell your spicy self from here, temps
  • Elmlea wrote:
    Why when the Bayonetta debate arises does everyone pro-Bayonetta fall back on the mechanics as a defence for the game yet never address the fact the presentation is a wet dream for the type of person who has a Hello Kitty shaped rucksack, wears goggles and smells spicy.
    That's nicely put.  Is this the sort of thing that should be taken into account for reviews?

It should be.

If there was a game called "The busy world of Jake and Dinos Chapman", that had the best gameplay ever but....

These guys were the co-op protagonists
    Jake-Or-Dinos-Chapman-1-Masons-Yard.jpg

And all the enemies were...

Chapman_Disasters_of_Yoga.jpg

It would be mentioned at least twice in a review. It would also be only slightly less abhorrent compared to Bayonetta.
  • What's wrong with the presentation?
  • Right, well. As I've said before, overall I don't like the overall tone of Bayonetta. I haven't an issue with the visuals on a whole, at all. It's all typical Judeo-Christian symbolism, which the Japanese love, wrapped up within Platinum's bizarre acid drenched camp tones. Does it grate when Bayonetta does her weave attacks and pulls a stupid pose? Yes. Do I care? No, because it happens very rarely and i'm too far into the zone, or whatever you'd call it, to give a shit.

I think the environments (which in Vigrid are clearly inspired by Gaudi's work in Barcelona) and the enemy designs are fucking brilliant in their absurdity. A giant cherubs head, upside down with the physiology of a dragon adorned with gold and ivory blended into is, to me, wonderful. I'd take that kind of philosophy towards enemy design over any number of Locusts or whatever.

Now obviously you didn't want that, and you wanted me to 'defend' the general camp and sleazy tone of the game. It probably set out with the best intentions, but it horrendously misfires, probably due to Japanese cultural tropes that I don't know enough about to comment on, but then again these guys turn young girls into 'idols' for the very purpose of flogging up-skirt shots of them as Fan Service. Bayonetta is generally this idea stretched out ad nauseum. She isn't a model character for women at all, if anything Jeanne's chic and conservative look places her as a much better role model in this area, but she's only playable after difficult conditions are met. Nevertheless, she is in the game. The worst culprit of Bayonetta's camp-gone-bad issues are the Joy enemies, faceless angles who mimic Bayonetta. One of the simpler ways of taken them out involves a pretty awful mini cutscene where they are literally killed by a kind of BDSM-gone-wrong scenario. Not a fan of that, but then again I generally don't bother with torturer attacks. 

The whole thing tries to be nudge-nudge, wink-wink but it really does fail. The beauty of all that shit is that, bar a handful of scenes, it is entirely skippable. Usually, folk like me who play games like Bayonetta and Devil May Cry, don't give a shit about the cut-scenes. Of course there are your, sigh, 'weeaboo' folk who lap it up, but I don't. I genuinely don't care. The artwork on display is strong enough for me, and the visual feedback from learning and hashing out combos is perfect. On top of that, the little ping you get on securing a Pure Platinum medal is brilliant - knowing that you've managed a section as fast as you can, with the biggest combos you can pull off, without getting hit once, and then strung a whole chapter of those sections together, including the limit-pushing Alfheim Portals... well I'll take that feeling of satisfaction over a million cut-scenes any day.

The issue that bugs me here is that although Bayonetta is a promoter of this drug hazed hyper sexualisation, so are tons of games. Bayo seems to have become a bit of a flogging point and who knows why. Her kitschy nods and winks to the camera whilst it attempts to titillate you in the most puerile and silly way as possible is viewed as abhorrent, yet Kratos manages to find time to get his rocks off in a variety of crass ways (the originally vase on the cabinet was brilliant) culminating with two of Aphrodite's subjects touching themselves into submission. That's also avoiding a whole slew of other games.

ALSO: Why do I fall back on the mechanics defence of Bayonetta? Because I find them sublime and they keep me playing the game. I play brawler titles to fit into a fighting system and learn its nuances. Not to have a story delivered to me.

Now here is someone else, who will say something disparaging about the game in 5...
  • Jesus that is a lot of words! I can't read all that, tempy, so I'm just going to have to ignore it.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I've never played Bayonetta so I don't see what all the fuss is about.
  • Live-o if you swapped protag and enemies around you're onto at least an XBLA winner surely.
  • BUT TEH PREZENTAESHUN IS SHIT LOL
  • Fair enough Tempy, thanks for giving us your opinion. Largely I think I agree with you, I think however I fall just on the other side of being able to tolerate all the things you have said you are able to ignore.

That and I also like a bit of story and some cut scenes.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I drink a few pints, see a couple of shows at the fringe and this thread gets great. Here's one for you - ALL WRESTLING GAMES THAT AREN'T JUKES
  • Brooks wrote:
    Live-o if you swapped protag and enemies around you're onto at least an XBLA winner surely.

Lol. As I was typing I was wondering if it was such a bad idea after all, I mean it would be horrible but it would sell.
  • I think the environments (which in Vigrid are clearly inspired by Gaudi's work in Barcelona) and the enemy designs are fucking brilliant in their absurdity. A giant cherubs head, upside down with the physiology of a dragon adorned with gold and ivory blended into is, to me, wonderful. I'd take that kind of philosophy towards enemy design over any number of Locusts or whatever.
    "Fucking brilliant" is excessive but aye, the most successful elements of the presentation. If only they were in a better game, really.
  • I can't help but love a cherub face stuck somewhere it shouldn't be. 

Bayonetta's largest crime is pretending it had a story. It didn't, ever. Kamiya would do well to produce an action game with a send-up of one of his own plots. Sadly, I think that is what he was trying to do here.
  • Well, Bayonetta's largest crime is the horrendous sexualization of women.
  • Jap console dev's inability to edit propar has been damnably consistent (they fuck it up in other territories too, but the Japs fuck it the worst). Only the Souls got it more or less correct, recently.

Buhnetta also committed foulness with QTEs and level-design bloat. And confounding quantities of special effects.
  • Well, Bayonetta's largest crime is the horrendous sexualization of women.

Again, plenty of games have done this. The cultural landscape it comes from is entirely different too so I'm not sure it is as simple as that. It is frequently awful, but It was probably never aiming for that, it's a case of intent not being followed through into execution. As said above, God of War does exactly the same but it never tries to be tongue in cheek about it, the women in it are literally tools for Kratos.

Now I'm not sure if Bayonetta doing an OTT 'hello boys' pose is equal to or worse than Kratos screwing Aphrodite for health points whilst her two servants touch each other up into ecstasy, but I'm fairly certain they were aiming for different things. One worked, the other didn't.

All you can judge is the end product so I can only agree with you that it is shit, but as I said, I skip it because I don't like it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!