PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    "misread information"!?  Jesus Sergey.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • pantyfire wrote:
    Man, it's days like this when I wish Prankster101 was still around.

Judging from the catastrophic fuck up the release of this game has been, I'm just surprised he wasn't involved in it somehow.
  • Jesus Christ, in case anyone was somehow still considering this:

These are the same people who made this - apparently the game with the worst metacritic score ever, a truck racing game which they thought was fine to ship without any ai.

Also, they created some of 'their' artwork from The Walking Dead - info on Reddit

I think now I can confidently say I will never be playing this.
  • This is the very thing the word clusterfuck was invented for.
  • So the game that sounded like a lazy cash in / scam from the start has turned out to be a lazy cash in / scam?
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I'm as shocked as you are.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • Lol, I've never seen Big Rigs in action. What was the other racer EDGE recently gave a 1 to?
  • Yeah... I'm gonna give this game a miss:

XBOX: Kurt Russel
    PS3: Air_Hair_Lair
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    What the fucking... what?  A ghastly, risible mess.  Fucking village Bransons.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Thing is they've probably still gotten a fair bit richer off the few days at the top of Steam.
  • Steam are offering refunds to anyone not satisfied, which is pretty good.
    XBOX: Kurt Russel
    PS3: Air_Hair_Lair
  • Also, they created some of 'their' artwork from The Walking Dead - info on Reddit

I think now I can confidently say I will never be playing this.

While the game might be shite and the advertising false this wound the fuck out of  me this morning when I read it on Kotaku.
    People don't realise that as a graphic designer/whatever. This is what you fucking do.
    You find images from elsewhere that you can change, manipulate or use as reference to create the art you need.
    You absolutely cannot be expected to sit down and spend 8 hrs drawing each fucking zombie in that scene from scratch/imagination. You would get fired for taking too long or the people commissioning you won't pay enough for you to do that.
    *Edit bloody corrective text. 
    design/Illustration just like every job nowadays has turned into a production line.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    ↑ THIS ↑

Also out of the 8 pictures they show only 2 are from the Walking Dead...
  • pantyfire wrote:
    People don't realise that as a graphic designer/whatever. This is what you fucking do.
    OK, i'm guessing you're in this line of work so please don't take any offence but I gotta say, I don't understand this. Why is it ok to do this for graphic design but not music/books/film etc.? How much do you have to change in order for it not to just be ripping off someone elses work?

Wouldn't have been too difficult for them to take five minutes to do a few poses and take a few photos. If this is standard practice then ok, but I don't understand why you aren't expected to take 8 hours on something if it's something you can't easily get reference material for yourself.
  • No offense taken. 
    What you are suggesting sounds easy but in actuality it isn't. 
    You find the camera (mobile phones aren't ideal), it has no batteries, you get a colleague (who is just as busy as you), you make them pose, you take the shots, you get them into a computer and start messing around with the lighting, you start working them into your scene, then you realise the lighting isn't coming from the direction you want so you have multiple light sources, so you have to reshoot your colleague. Who is now moaning.
    You then start to realise that it's actually very hard to draw torn clothes and make them look real, then you realise it's actually harder than you think to mock up torn flesh and wounds. So as you are making several aborted attempts at all of these different issues your boss/client is demanding results. 

It's far easier to google image search zombies and modify them to your needs. 
    Duplicate wounds and jig them by reversing or dis-proing them, take torn cloth and blend it in etc...
    If that zombies not quite right there are more on the Internet. One will suit. 

Honestly as a illustrator/designer you are expected to churn out art like anyone working in a factory sticking doohickeys on thingamajigs.

Edit
    As an aside NO ONE wants to pay for anything any more. Clients/studios won't pay for photography or shoots.
    And I worked with a giant client for 10 years. Not once did they do a shoot or pay for stock photography. 
    A company that we all know and only some love.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Hey, I work in a factory sticking thingymajigs onto doohickeys. Ain't no shame in it, and I'll tell you what, it's a lot more complex than it sounds.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    I get the same thing with the websites. I do a quote which I know is fantastically good value and they look at you like you've just told them Double Lollies cost £99 in your sweet shop.

Or rather they just don't reply to the email.
  • @pf
    What i'm getting at is more why is it acceptable at all? Those questions in my first paragraph weren't rhetorical - I mean, if you wanted to make a nice catchy tune for your game but you don't have the right software/instrument/musician etc. you can't just go find some music you think will fit, cut, edit it, add effects etc. just because it will save time and you'll be able to produce work faster. I mean you could but if the work was recognizable then you'd likely have a few pretty pissed off copyright holders on your case - this is true of other artistic works.

I'm surprised it wound you up because quite honestly, I don't think this is common knowledge at all.

Again, just trying to understand where the difference lies.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    I've just had this with a client, they have a fruit & veg wholesale business, and it looks like we'll be doing their vans (they have around 25 Sprinters/VW's) and they wanted them to look like their existing vehicles. They all look similar but each have a different piece if fruit or veg on them, the first one I started with was going to have an orange, I asked for artwork and they had none, they said "grab something of the 'net", I said no and that they either provide me with images or I buy them in, they said can't I just photograph an orange and use that, I said we'd need to get a photographer in as it would need to be properly lit etc. They finally relented and let me purchase the image rather than using a shit image, an image off the 'net or getting a photographer in.

Do you know how much the image was that started this whole wasting hours with calls and emails and
    explanations? £25, that's all, but the customer just doesn't have the slightest fucking idea and just thinks you're trying to rip them off. They are cunts who haven't got the slightest idea and just presume that because you work in the sign/graphics/vehicle livery industry you should be able to produce anything they want at no cost, they actually looked visibly shocked when they knew I was on £25k, I had to point out that it works out that I am only on just over a fiver more than minimum wage, or put another way, from somebody who just drives a van between shops...
  • In other news, can't believe this story made it onto and is currently the 3rd most popular story on BBC news.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Me buying a photo of an orange?
  • Hahaha
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • @pf What i'm getting at is more why is it acceptable at all? Those questions in my first paragraph weren't rhetorical - I mean, if you wanted to make a nice catchy tune for your game but you don't have the right software/instrument/musician etc. you can't just go find some music you think will fit, cut, edit it, add effects etc. just because it will save time and you'll be able to produce work faster. I mean you could but if the work was recognizable then you'd likely have a few pretty pissed off copyright holders on your case - this is true of other artistic works. I'm surprised it wound you up because quite honestly, I don't think this is common knowledge at all. Again, just trying to understand where the difference lies.

I have no idea why its acceptable over the examples you've given, but thats what needs to be done to get things done.
    I suppose it's similar to music type people, getting a base rhythm from a track and wobbling it around to sound like something else and then layering it into music they created, if its recognisable then you have to go and get permission or give a credit. In fact that's what most graphic designers essentially do. Plus its such a prolific field work wise that you could sit down, and create something completely off your own back and I guarantee if someone looked hard enough they could find something similar by someone else.
    Any designer worth their salt has a folder full of 'inspiration' i.e. other peoples work to crib off.
    You are constantly treading a fine line of copyright infringement. And the old 'recognisability' thing is such a grey area.

It's one of those weird invisible industries, you might not know that many people in it, you might not think it's that important, but wherever you are now, just look around you and everything, literally everything has had some kind of graphic design input, if it's not the thing itself then it's the box it came in or the promotional material that sold it to you.

It wound me up because countless people with no experience or knowledge where calling out some poor soul who probably had 2hrs to produce some images on top of all the other crap he had to do, they probably took the only practicable route open to them, a route that all graphic designers have resorted to, and now the hounds of the internet are on their case.
    I'll admit a lot of that frustration was down to being on the receiving end of similar attitudes from clients over the years.

I am not being confrontational here but honestly, what looks like the simplest task, open Photoshop and create a convincing looking wound, with no reference and just the brush tools etc...
    Experienced or not with photoshop it's a really hard and time consuming thing to do. Scale that up to convincing looking zombies and you are looking at a few days work.
  • Cheers for the answers Pantyfire, much appreciated.
    Moto70 wrote:
    Me buying a photo of an orange?
    This isn't 'other news', this is totally current!
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    1Dej9

ruh?
  • As a part time illustrator myself I do feel sorry for the illustrator guy getting all of the flack. Granted, he could have been a bit less obvious with the Walking Dead publicity stills. Anyhoo, to back up Pantys argument have a look at the reference involved for doing the cover illustration I did for the Child's Play thing last year.

This was my Santa refererence. I probably used the colour picker in Photoshop to 'steal' that particular red shades of the suit. 

B0FHM.jpg

I used this one for that jolly santa face reference. Norman Rockwell used loads of photo reference but added his own style.

SSKUO.jpg

Sadly I lack beard and red jacket... this is me posing for for hands and toy reference. My daughters jacket provided the fluffy cuffs. Yes. I look a bit gormless.

P0kmP.jpg

and this is the final image.

Z9msy.jpg
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Nice insight into the creative process there.

As an aside, I've never understood what people see in Rockwell paintings. Gimme a Hopper any day. Art, huh.
  • Here's my xmas tale.
    One busy time in the office my girlfriend is doing the Bluray sleeve for the hit Jean Cloud God Damme movie MAXIMUM RISK.
    We had sweet eff all material to go with it because it was very old and was originally a VHS release, back then, a lot of art was still supplied as transparencies or film so it was very limited.
    Anyway she is doing some nice sleeve designs and sending them off, but the client keeps coming back and saying it's not what they want, but they are unable to tell her what they actually want.
    The classic "I don't know what I want, but I will know it when I see it" line.
    So, she has spent a fair bit of time doing this over a day or so with other work along side it, and it's now starting to be a pain in the arse for her.
    I noticed this was getting to her a bit, so I took it upon myself to have a little go at it.
    Now, working with the people in question for a long time I sort of new what they wanted...tits and explosions.
    So I went on the internet and I got an image of fire...fire, is always good. I did a search for an explosion, bingo, straight away, a decent explosion.
    I then thought 'fuck it, lets go loud on this sucker'. We need an apache helicopter....and...an F16!
    This, much to my shame is the result:
    maximumrisk.GIF

Not my finest moment but you get beyond caring.

So I emailed to the girf and said "look it's shit but just send it.'
    20mins later a phone call comes in...'That's it that's what we wanted.'
    Later that day I had a convo with the client and they mentioned the sleeve, so I asked them does it have attack helicopters or jets in it?
    They said no.
    Who cares, onto the next sleeve I go.
  • I sometimes wonder just how many videogames actually have this cover...

IMG_3558.jpg

yup

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    You can mirror the image for variety.
    Terrorist-Takedown-Payback-free-strategy-games-download-full-version.jpg

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!