Reading Record 2024
  • Sharing this from my inbox today because I think you’d like it Davy. 

https://www.glasgowprintstudio.co.uk/email/email_exhib/index.html
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I say. Very nice. Those images resonate with what was in my head reading Crow.

Interesting to see the link to Francis Bacon. Have a liking for his work.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • The dark and the raw. Red in tooth and claw. All that good stuff.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Indeed. There's a Bacon in the Ulster Museum - went to see it last Summer when I learnt about that. One of his minor works (Head II , 1949) but still very striking - it jumps off the wall in amongst the other works even though it's very dark and muted.

This doesn't do it justice. There was an exhibition in London last year which I really should have gone to. The triptychs would have been at that. Probably a screaming Pope too.  :)

c19183d68fb251fd84206ec0a1ae9aab.jpg
  • I’m a privileged fuck who has seen many Bacons. They really do have an effect.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Bacon in Moscow by James Birch is the tale of the authors' (successful) attempts at putting on a Bacon retrospective exhibition in late 80's Moscow.

Highly entertaining romp as the author straddles the complexities of USSR bureaucracy (including the KGB)  and a 79 year old Bacon, his gallery and the British Art Council while trying to survive the vodka and champagne fuelled endless charm offensives on both sides. Is a very brisk read - and I learned that the picture above (Head II) that is in the Ulster Museum's art gallery in Belfast was included in the Moscow show.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Nuclear War: A Scenario by Anne Jacobson is an extremely well researched description of what would likely happen if a nuclear exchange were triggered by an attack on the US by North Korea in 2024.  It references as much unclassified info as is available and is also the result of many interviews with people who have been involved in the grim business of nuclear defence and attack.

Very well written , easy to read , and informative but ultimately deeply disturbing, chilling and depressing.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Nuclear War: A Scenario by Anne Jacobson is an extremely well researched description of what would likely happen if a nuclear exchange were triggered by an attack on the US by North Korea in 2024.  It references as much unclassified info as is available and is also the result of many interviews of people who have been involved in the grim business of nuclear defence and attack.

Very well written , easy to read , and informative but ultimately deeply disturbing, chilling and depressing.

Is it a bit like an update-to-date Threads in book form? My interest in this was piqued when it was announced Denis Villeneuve had snapped up the movie rights.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    EvilRedEye wrote:
    Nuclear War: A Scenario by Anne Jacobson is an extremely well researched description of what would likely happen if a nuclear exchange were triggered by an attack on the US by North Korea in 2024.  It references as much unclassified info as is available and is also the result of many interviews of people who have been involved in the grim business of nuclear defence and attack. Very well written , easy to read , and informative but ultimately deeply disturbing, chilling and depressing.
    Is it a bit like an update-to-date Threads in book form? My interest in this was piqued when it was announced Denis Villeneuve had snapped up the movie rights.

It's concentrated more on behind the scenes on the US military side - detailed processes, land, air and sea arsenals, code books etc.  But it doesn't spare human impact detail (there's a box out on radiation sickness for example). It doesn't talk much about FEMA and civilian help as let's face it - you've had it. Made very clear in this. Very grim.  What is very alarming is the concept of a satellite armed with a small nuke to create a massive EMP in low orbit which could wipe out the entire US power grid.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The scenario does add some filmable drama - it is an imaginary scenario backed with a high level of research. The film version of this would be sobering - and maybe necessary. Not sure the US would have the stomach for it.

The book reckons a period of 25,000 years for recovery from the radiation. But the scenario includes hits on nuclear power stations which results in areas maybe poisoned for longer than that - maybe much longer. And the ozone layer would be fucked too. It doesn't give any detail on whether that could recover or not.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!