Reading Record 2024
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Anyhoo - I got back into the Alan Turing biog I left late last year. Was a techie thorny section but I've got through that now - wasn't as baffling as I was finding it at the time - was probably just tired.  I can see the scene being set for some targeted brute force attacks on the Enigma codes so I suppose Collosus was built to conduct those.  At the point I am at they have done some brute force using relays but they are limited re speed.

Interesting reading how the Polish mathematicians had made all the early running - ingenious work - had made a great deal of headway which the British were building upon.  That wasn't mentioned in that bloody awful Cumberbatch film.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    First couple of paragraphs of Finnegan's Wake. Imagine reading the whole book (and it's not a small book).
    riverrun, past Eve and Adam’s, from swerve of shore to bend of bay, brings us by a commodius vicus of recirculation back to Howth Castle and Environs.
    Sir Tristram, violer d’amores, fr’over the short sea, had passencore rearrived from North Armorica on this side the scraggy isthmus of Europe Minor to wielderfight his penisolate war: nor had topsawyer’s rocks by the stream Oconee exaggerated themselse to Laurens County’s gorgios while they went doublin their mumper all the time: nor avoice from afire bellowsed mishe mishe to tauftauf thuartpeatrick not yet, though venissoon after, had a kidscad buttended a bland old isaac: not yet, though all’s fair in vanessy, were sosie sesthers wroth with twone nathandjoe. Rot a peck of pa’s malt had Jhem or Shen brewed by arclight and rory end to the regginbrow was to be seen ringsome on the aquaface.

The fall (bababadalgharaghtakamminarronnkonnbronntonner ronntuonnthunntrovarrhounawnskawntoohoohoordenenthurnuk!) of a once wallstrait oldparr is retaled early in bed and later on life down through all christian minstrelsy. The great fall of the offwall entailed at such short notice the pftjschute of Finnegan, erse solid man, that the humptyhillhead of humself prumptly sends an unquiring one well to the west in quest of his tumptytumtoes: and their upturnpikepointandplace is at the knock out in the park where oranges have been laid to rust upon the green since devlinsfirst loved livvy.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    aye.....fuck that.

Clearly wasn't in it for the money at that point.

One could probably find isolated pleasing phrases but they would have no context.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Took him 20 years to write it
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Long time to be pissed out of your head!!  :)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Hadn't realised the traditional song of the same name is based on the early portion of the book (wiki-ing now)
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Other way round I think.
  • davyK wrote:
    Beckett is pretty tough going too - I have a compendium of his works.  That jumping in and out of French malarky puts me off but it's not the biggest problem reading him!!

Every Beckett can be summed up as 2 people who don't like each other, stuck in the same place, having an argument
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    Other way round I think.

Oh.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    70% through Hyperion and loving it. It took a little while to get into, but I always find that with a new Sci-Fi world. Until I become familiar with all the invented jargon I find it hard to hook into to story.
  • 1. Thrawn - Timothy Zahn
    Pretty good Star Wars.
    Like most of the pretty good Star Wars it happens to be Star Wars but could also be reskinned to not be a Star Wars and still stand up. The Star Wars is an extra coat of polish.
    This one covers politics, hierarchy, war tactics and how they interplay.
    They should be making this in the Andor mould and with someone other than Elon Musk playing Thrawn.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The Lonely Passion of Judith Hearne by Brian Moore.

Tale of "Plain, single, friendless" Judith Hearne. Set in Belfast but it could be anywhere, though the dialogue is marvellous post war Irish.  I found it humorous though I'm not sure I should have - but then tragedy is comedy. This is so well written I polished off its 250 pages in a day.  I'll be checking out Moore's other work on the strength of this.

What's impressive is a male author has inhabited a female character - not something that could be achieved by many or even attempted. Of course maybe a female perspective on the book is needed as to how successful it is.

But I was rooting for her, felt sorry for her, and got annoyed with her when she made stupid moves.
  • How They Broke Britain - James O’Brien
    A Christmas present I wouldn’t have bought but took the unusual step of reading. Instead of plonking it on a shelf, never touching it and hoping I was never asked about it. It’s not very good. 

I confess to watching the occasional 4 minute clip that pops up on my Twitter feed of O’Brien eviscerating some politician or slicing away at the foundations of some caller’s entire belief system. I don’t know why but I stopped finding it satisfying or cathartic when I realised how pointless it was. The callers keep coming. The politicians keep getting grimmer. John from Tooting isn’t racist but. No one wins. 

The book focuses on 10 people from politics and the media, mainly using them as a way of illustrating the relationships between politicians, journalists and lobbyists. How each sector infiltrates and corrupts the others. There’s nothing new here. That’s the main problem. If you’re the sort of person who is algorithmically targeted for James O’Brien content on Twitter, you’re the sort of person that probably knows all of Boris Johnson’s scandals, has read the famous excerpt from his school report, has heard about all his journalistic sackings. It’s all here. Murdoch, Cummings, the whole gang, their scandals, their famous quotes. 

I read it out of obligation and it wasn’t often that it felt like more than that. If you’ve wasted less of your life than I have scrolling through Twitter, refreshing your feed when each of the past decade's scandals has broken, then it’s probably quite eye-opening. It’s written well enough. It's the sort of book John from Tooting should read but never will.

The only interesting inclusion is Andrew Neil - here less from his impact and behaviour (although he is a prick) and more about the double-standard that his BBC presence highlights. The one non-Tory inclusion is Corbyn - present because he was useless and did nothing to oppose Brexit and the right-wing dementation of the country, when opposing things was his actual job title.

Anyway, if I’m asked about the book, I don’t need to lie and say I’ve read it. I need to lie and say I enjoyed it.
  • monkey wrote:
    I might read a book this year.
    Done.
  • Ah balls, bought that for my dad for his birthday.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Ah balls, bought that for my dad for his birthday.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • It's not a bad book, I just knew it all.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    FTR I am also the muzzy of books...
    acemuzzy wrote:
    Those books are on my bedside table. I have a burgeoning bedside table. Might photo for the lols.

Played "guess the number of books on my bedside table" with my fan, and they were all too low (without saying it, obvs). Regular size thing, any guesses before I share what I totted up to?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    The correct answer was 41. Or about 14 years worth at my current rate of reading.

I think I might have a problem...
  • You are the problem.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    The correct answer was 41. Or about 14 years worth at my current rate of reading.

Are you still standing up to wipe your arse?
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:

Actually on your bedside table?
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Muzzy's bedroom, yesterday.
    cacbc656-e5bc-4c49-973d-c6d3932bd778.JPG
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    PXL-20240101-184814423-MP.jpg
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Needless to say I have choice paralysis whenever I'm trying to decide what to read next
  • What a fucking slob
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Good books tho, aye?

I think I've added a couple since... I excluded the mags and Sandman under the bookshelf, obvs

PXL-20240101-184834548-MP.jpg
    PXL-20240101-184836792-MP.jpg
    PXL-20240101-184845535-MP.jpg
    PXL-20240101-184921666-MP.jpg
    PXL-20240101-184933804-MP.jpg
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    70% through Hyperion and loving it. It took a little while to get into, but I always find that with a new Sci-Fi world. Until I become familiar with all the invented jargon I find it hard to hook into to story.

This was going so well, up until the non-critical depiction of a pedophilic relationship. The ages aren't even core to the story, so it's just bizarre that the author decided the female should be 15, when she could easily have been 18.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Hyperion - Dan Simmons

A great sci-fi book that creates an interesting world that I want to spend more time in. Essentially a collection of connected short stories around a central mystery. Other than the inexplicable choice above I don't really have any complaints. Ready to jump into book 2.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!