The Learn Physics Thread - Space and Time
  • But as with motion, acceleration only exists if there is a frame of reference with which to measure it against?

Supposing each astronaut has a belt with a slinky spring tethered to it. The astronaut need not look at the other person, they only need look at their spring. Whoever has a stretched spring is the one that is accelerating, and for now we'll just except that.

We'll look at acceleration even more closely when we look at gravity, but we can't get ahead of ourselves. For now we'll just say there's a force on one and not the other, and the force is doing the accelerating. Eventually we'll look at how you can accelerate without even a force - which was Newtons mistake with gravity. But we need to be more pragmatic and worry about these things later, as Einstein did.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • We'll look at all this force, mass and acceleration business next. Three new concepts!
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The Daddy wrote:
    Just watching Cox on bbc 4, his genuine joy at watching a proper demo of the bowling ball/feather thing is great - like, a full on physicist who knows all this stuff inside out is still thrilled to see it in action. This episode is worth a watch on iPlayer if you’re following this thread. (Brian cox’s adventures in space and time)

Watched that last night as well. :)

The hard "splash" of the Soyuz capsule must be quite something to experience.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Ok, quick summary.

We can understand (I hope) that law 1 and 3 come from this idea that motion is somewhat relative. Einstein argued motion was purely relative and Newton said it wasn't.

The second law, F = ma, is a completely knew thing. We'll go through how Newton saw it first and then we'll come back to it (eventually) when we look at GR.

There are only 3 terms in the equation and every one of them troubled Einstein. Like Goober, he was particularly alarmed about the 'a' term and its implications. It rather seemed to confirm Newton's idea about absolute space. Unlike motion at a constant speed, which Einstein said was exactly the same as not moving, acceleration was different. It wasn't relative, so what was it relative to?

He did the sensible thing and chose to ignore it. He would address it later. We will look at it next time so we're familiar with it in the context of science history, or at least my version of it.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    First time I've ever been likened to Einstein.

This thread can continue.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    It's easy to see why Newton got locked in on the concept of an absolute space to which every movement was relative.  It's a bit of a mindfuck when you think about everything being relative.
  • Yeah, it's an odd thing. People assume special relativity is complex but it's really not. Once you accept absolute space is not a thing everything falls into place, including E = MC^2. You just need to be brave enough to accept it and see where it takes you. Which is what we'll try to do!
  • It's been a slightly strange experience so far doing this thread. I realised quite quickly I'd need to sacrifice Newton's genius to do it - to get people thinking like Einstein instead. Galileo thought absolute space was a thing but he really didn't think about it too deeply. Things that were moving had inertia.

It took Newton to formalize the idea. This invisible coordinate system that he needed for his own ideas to make sense. Now that's genius, to even realise he needed it. Nobody was even thinking on that level at the time. Einstein refuted it but he could only do that because Newton brought the argument to the table. Einstein needed Newton's absolute space to get him thinking about space and time in the first place.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    That's progress. One builds on the previous ideas.
  • But Newton's ideas lasted 300 yrs, and for good reason. He was way ahead of his time in promoting these things. It takes another genius to knock them down and they don't come along too often.
  • This isn't going to happen with QM btw. :)
  • I'm presuming F=ma is Force=Mass times acceleration?

And I can accept Newton was a genius even though his ideas weren't completely correct. 
    To get to where he did from what evidence he had was amazing.
    You rang.....
  • I dunno there were quite a few physicists in the 19th who were like hmm this absolute space thing, doesn’t fit a load of observations etc… maybe there’s some kind of substance, invisible to all our instruments, we could call it luminiferous aether?

It was that grappling with the results, the consequences of absolute space / time, in a way that seemed like a big cop out (god coordinates, aether, aliens) that had Einstein so het up
  • Lurch666 wrote:
    I'm presuming F=ma is Force=Mass times acceleration?

Yes and we'll get into it next. It's the first equation so far - there won't be many others. We can largely ignore it for special relativity but we'll look at it anyway and what equations really mean. Seems obvious to some what an equation is but I disagree.
  • Funkstain wrote:
    I dunno there were quite a few physicists in the 19th who were like hmm this absolute space thing, doesn’t fit a load of observations etc… maybe there’s some kind of substance, invisible to all our instruments, we could call it luminiferous aether? It was that grappling with the results, the consequences of absolute space / time, in a way that seemed like a big cop out (god coordinates, aether, aliens) that had Einstein so het up

Not quite sure what you're saying. The aether IS the concept of absolute space. It's just that Newton knew it was invisible and could never be found. He was way ahead of the people looking for it, and he didn't even know about c being a constant.
  • We'll get to all this soon. We're still in the 17th century!
  • Funkstain wrote:
    I dunno there were quite a few physicists in the 19th who were like hmm this absolute space thing, doesn’t fit a load of observations etc… maybe there’s some kind of substance, invisible to all our instruments, we could call it luminiferous aether? It was that grappling with the results, the consequences of absolute space / time, in a way that seemed like a big cop out (god coordinates, aether, aliens) that had Einstein so het up
    Not quite sure what you're saying. The aether IS the concept of absolute space. It's just that Newton knew it was invisible and could never be found. He was way ahead of the people looking for it, and he didn't even know about c being a constant.

Sure I'm agreeing with you - Newton even called it Aether I think? - just that the experiments they could run in the C19th (michelson/morley being the primo example, no?) needed this aether shit to work but made it look more and more made up (like, it isn't God any more, it's this invisible substance that physically exists for sure), to match the observations, and this added to the pressure in Einstein's brilliant head. I wonder if it had just been Newton's thoughts would it have been enough? the experiments provided the need for a better explanation I think, I was wondering if you were going to get into the practical side of physics?
  • They thought they needed the luminous either because they thought light was analogous to sound, that it needed a medium and like the speed of sound it could explain why c was a constant (we'll get to Maxwell after F = ma). As we'll see in a bit, c just pops out of Maxwell's equations, and it's a speed! And they knew the value without measuring it, and it was a constant speed!!

When they couldn't find this luminous aether they really could just use absolute space (it's really just the same idea), and that it was always going at this constant speed relative to that. That meant motion wasn't really relative and Newton was right. The problem was that it should mean if you were moving away from a torch and then moving towards it, you'd measure c differently. And Michelson and Morley were rather puzzled their machines seem to indicate otherwise. They used the Sun, and because Earth orbits on a slight ellipse (yay Kepler's god) we see it it as moving slowly towards us and then slowly away. And they noticed the speed was the same.

I'll cover all this again when we get to Maxwell. We don't need much practical physics to understand SR, we can use the power of thought experiments. And at the end I can boldly state people have done the experiments and Einstein was right! We'll look at a couple.
  • Ok. So back to history and F = ma.

This is a physics thread so we really should look an equation or two and not be scared of them. Equations are both good and bad because they trivialise understanding. They're good because they enable people to calculate stuff quickly but they're bad because they let undergrads pass exams without having to really understand anything.

So what are equations anyway? The clue is in the name and it's this equals sign, and it's tremendously important.

Let's start simply with 5 = 5. We can cope with this. The handy thing about equations is that as long as we do the same thing to the left hand side (LHS) as the RHS, they're still gonna be equal. So we can multiply both sides by 3 and it's fine, 15 = 15.  

We can do this with F = ma. 10F = 10ma. Yes both sides are 10 times bigger but it's still true. Pointless, but the equation still holds. But in physics we can't just think about numbers and we have to think about concepts instead, in this case mass and acceleration.

So, what is F = ma? Well, it's the definition of a force. As defined by Newton. 

So what does this mean? Let's say we have a 1kg ball and we measure that ball accelerating at (one meter per second) per second. Acceleration is just the rate of change of velocity, so after one second it's going at one meter per second, A second later it's going at two meters per second, and so on.

Newton says that the ball is undergoing some force, and because he's just defined a force to be equal to m * a, we can say this force equals 1kg * 1 meter per second per second. But that's a mouthful, so let's invent some new unit and call that 1 Newton.

So a one Newton force accelerates a 1kg mass by 1 meter per second per second. Overnight Newton has just defined this new concept of a force.

But we need to be careful. We haven't really explained what a force is, but whatever this mysterious thing is we can tell it's there because balls are accelerating. Nobody really knows what a force is, but that's ok because nobody really knows what time or energy are either, and we can't dwell on these things or we'll never get anywhere.

But there is a problem and it's worth pointing out now because it'll make the transition to General Relativity easier later on.

And it's this:

In order to fully define this force thingy we need to fully define what mass and acceleration are too. After all, we're saying force IS m * a.

How do we define mass? No problem you might say, we can weigh it. Things that are more massive weigh more, and as long as we can agree on what a kilogram is it'll be fine. So for no particular reason let's define a kilo to be a copper cube of a certain width. We distribute these cubes out and tell everyone - that's a kilogram. Everyone agrees these cubes weigh the same. If anything else weighs the same when put on a scale then that's a kilo too. So now we can have kilos of apples and so on.

But the problem here is that the scales are really measuring a force - Newton's gravity. We're defining a mass in terms of a force (weight), and we're defining a force in terms of a mass (ma). It took nearly 300ys for someone (Einstein) to point this out.

It's like a mathematician trying to define 10 by saying 10 = 10 * 1. Maths people have their own problems, namely trying to define what numbers really are but we'll leave that to them and not worry about it too much.

Anyway, this has been a minor diversion and next time we'll clarify what we do know so far, and then we only need to get one more piece of the puzzle - light, and we can figure out who's right about absolute space. We don't need F = ma for that.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I think for most people, Newton is the Daddy.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I like that last post SG.
  • Yeah. I did a level physics but from memory f=ma was as far as we got down this route....and reading this is the first time I've considered that m requires a force too.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    My applied maths education covered the equations of motion and resolving forces acting on objects sitting on slopes into horizontal and vertical components but that was pretty much as far as it got.
  • Yeah that was it basically. Here's a formula and some parameters, work out the result. Don't worry about how or why
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Yeah that was it basically. Here's a formula and some parameters, work out the result. Don't worry about how or why

This is exactly it, but we shouldn't beat ourselves up too badly. The general idea in physics is to distil complex phenomena into simple ideas, ideally one equation, and we'll worry about what the terms of the equation really are at some point in the future. 

In this way we can unify things like temperature and sound into the theory of motion and then we just need to worry about one thing - this motion business. Soon, just by thinking about motion, we'll be able to unify space and time too into a spacetime thingy.

But it is vital to understand that just because we define something (by giving it a name) doesn't mean we really understand it. The students that appreciate this can hopefully go on to become professors and teach their students that nobody truly understands anything!
  • Ok. Before we move on we should review what we understand about Newton's absolute space because it's the only thing we need. Well that and the law of inertia.

Newton imagined absolute space was some invisible graph paper. You draw two points on it and they each have a definite position in terms of the graph paper. Us humans can't see it but it's there, and there is an absolute truth that each point has a definite position (maybe according to some x-axis and a y-axis). Einstein argues the graph paper doesn't exist apart from the line between the two dots. Einstein says it makes no sense to say there's an absolute position of each dot, only there's a distance between them.

Suppose these dots are moving at a constant speed. Newton says if we could see the bigger picture we could look at each dot, work out it's absolute speed (by using the graph paper) and then figure out the relative speed between them. Einstein, who doesn't have the luxury of believing in the graph paper, says we can only work out their relative speed, and to say each dot has it's own independent speed seems silly if we can never measure it.

So who's right? Can we ever know? More importantly, does it matter?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    As long as whatever representation of reality we use works it doesn't matter.

We don't really understand reality , just the model of it that we are using. And even then in some models we just have to accept things - like complex numbers and quantum entanglement.
  • Yep, although in this particular case - this absolute vs relative space, it matters because things can happen using one theory that can't happen with the other.
  • Who is still following this thread? Only two people have asked a question. This is not a good sign and the fear is I've not taught this too well. I know people might be casually reading it but do people understand it or are invested in it? For anyone that is following, do you understand the arguments made by Einstein vs Newton regarding absolute space? Yays or nays would be welcome.
  • I’m reading it, I’m enjoying it - I’m also unlikely to engage directly with it, just casual lurking.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!