PlayStation Portal
  • The Verdict seems to be it plays better than it looks for what it’s worth it looks more comfortable to hold
    Then either switch or steam deck
    The Forum Herald™
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Don’t know this channel but this guy is a long time remote play gamer and says there is a difference between this and playing on your phone.

• Bob wrote:
    The Verdict seems to be it plays better than it looks for what it’s worth it looks more comfortable to hold

But for me, not £200 better if at all from the review I posted.
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • Kernowgaz wrote:
    Bob wrote:
    The Verdict seems to be it plays better than it looks for what it’s worth it looks more comfortable to hold

Well value is in the eye of the beholder I guess
    The Forum Herald™
  • Bob wrote:
    Kernowgaz wrote:
    Bob wrote:

Just like
    The value
    You’ve
    Had from
    Your
    Steam
    Deck
  • Bob wrote:
    Kernowgaz wrote:
    Bob wrote:

My Anbernic RG353M came with about eighteen versions of that already installed for £169.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Just googled Anbernic RG353M and those sticks have to be in the worst place I’ve ever seen on a controller.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Bob wrote:
    Kernowgaz wrote:
    Bob wrote:

My Anbernic RG353M came with about eighteen versions of that already installed for £169.

Nice bit of D&D
  • b0r1s wrote:
    Just googled Anbernic RG353M and those sticks have to be in the worst place I’ve ever seen on a controller.

Can't disagree but I don't use them for the most of the games I play on it ergo the dpad is in the perfect place.
  • Kernowgaz wrote:
    Bob wrote:
    Kernowgaz wrote:
    Bob wrote:

Just like
    The value
    You’ve
    Had from
    Your
    Steam
    Deck

I’ve had terrible value from
    That but that’s not its fault
    The Forum Herald™
  • LivDiv wrote:
    It's niche as all fuck.
    It's success really depends on how much Sony realise that.
    I feel like manufacturers are much more switched on with production runs these days so probably won't end up giving them away, just won't make many.

Sold out apparently. So maybe a limited run, or higher demand than expected.
  • They made three of them.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I mostly play handheld too but a streaming device doesn't appeal.
    Having watched the vids now I don't think I could live with the compression artifacts.
  • Syph79 wrote:
    LivDiv wrote:
    It's niche as all fuck.
    It's success really depends on how much Sony realise that.
    I feel like manufacturers are much more switched on with production runs these days so probably won't end up giving them away, just won't make many.

Sold out apparently. So maybe a limited run, or higher demand than expected.
    Fuck
    Me it’s true they had them in stock Amazon earlier now all gone
    The Forum Herald™
  • Sold out everywhere and now being sold by scalpers on eBay
    The Forum Herald™
  • Bob wrote:
    Sold out everywhere and now being sold by scalpers on eBay
    Almost like the two are related.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Played quite a bit on this now and have to say I’ve not had a single issue with. No dropped connections, no noticeable lag.

Played mainly Sea of Stars but just did an hour of MM and it played great.

Workaround on the headphones, at least while at home, is to use whatever headphones are connected to your PS5 turn down the sound on the portal and the sound is all in sync. The dialogue in Miles is spot on and I’m quite sensitive to that.

I’d also say I don’t have the best internet with standard Vodafone. I do have a couple of wifi extenders but my PS5 isn’t even connected via Ethernet. Watched quite a few reviews where people are complaining about the connection and I just am not experiencing that.

Brilliant accessory.
  • Can't believe it's not even OLED.
  • ZMM wrote:
    Can't believe it's not even OLED.

Give it 6 months to a year. ;)
    b0r1s wrote:
    Played quite a bit on this now and have to say I’ve not had a single issue with. No dropped connections, no noticeable lag.

Played mainly Sea of Stars but just did an hour of MM and it played great.

Workaround on the headphones, at least while at home, is to use whatever headphones are connected to your PS5 turn down the sound on the portal and the sound is all in sync. The dialogue in Miles is spot on and I’m quite sensitive to that.

I’d also say I don’t have the best internet with standard Vodafone. I do have a couple of wifi extenders but my PS5 isn’t even connected via Ethernet. Watched quite a few reviews where people are complaining about the connection and I just am not experiencing that.

Brilliant accessory.

What's the skinny with this new play link WiFi type thing?
    Supposed to be better than WiFi buy no one is mentioning it?
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    The link thing is just for the headphones. The portal just uses normal wifi.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Portal continues to impress. Have installed a load of games on the PS5 to test out. Just started Mass Effect 2, what a great opening, and again, no major issues. Played more Sea of Stars in bed last night and got the warning triangle once, but it lasted about 2 seconds and didn't affect gameplay.

Linus talking sense about the "outrage" on the pricing of this too, pretty much matches my view.

• EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I think it’s one of those things where it’s worth $0 if you don’t fit the use case for it. On a Vita, you could play a distinct catalogue of Sony-licenced proprietary games as well as use remote play; on a general-use handheld like the Steam Deck or Android-based handhelds you can play a bunch of games as well as use remote play. The Portal just does what it does and it has no value outside of that. It would be a complete waste of money for me but a snip for others that fit the use case.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • I played Outrun2 PSP on my phone last night, with the image beamed to my telly.

Absolutely unplayable hahaha.

I don't think £200 is much for this - if it works well.  It's a shame that you can't try before you buy.
    [quote="Moot_Geeza"]I hope you've been putting lotto tickets on recently Kris. You're overdue a bit of luck. [/quote]
  • IIRC you can load Windows onto a Steam Deck, which would mean you could just use the Remote Play app on it.

It also has the benefit of not looking like the Portal.
  • I'd rather this just cast directly to the paired device like a Wii U (or whatever the tech term is). I used that loads in handheld because there was zero lag. Everything I've tried to play on my Razer Kishi using WiFi has stuttered enough to put me off. Apart from Netflix games, oddly - they seem to run more smoothly for me on mobile than Game Pass cloud stuff.
  • Benefit of how comfortable the Portal is to use far outweighs its fugliness. Wouldn’t take it out in public, obviously.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Definitely the most ergonomic handheld.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    DF boys are well down on it, they are not fans at all it seems.

• Hmmm, can't help but think this could've (should've?) been a psp next incl. the remote play option. I know why Sony chose not to go that route but still.....
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!