Games you'll probably never play but find interesting...
  • My favourite modern shmup is Zero Ranger (only on steam I think) because it leans into the abrupt narrative stylings present in the genre to create what I can really only say is the shmup equivalent to NieR: Automata. Criminally underplayed game.
  • Tempy wrote:
    My favourite modern shmup is Zero Ranger (only on steam I think) because it leans into the abrupt narrative stylings present in the genre to create what I can really only say is the shmup equivalent to NieR: Automata. Criminally underplayed game.

Been meaning to play that ever since you mentioned it and it also featured highly in the shmup.org top 25.  Was going to get it as soon as I got myself a Steam Deck.  Alas, I spent all my money so no Deck for me for a while.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Anything by Jeff Minter.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • I'm all for Davy's technical skills. Ooops wrong thread.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Pathologic 

I'd consider suggesting Highfleet or Rainworld too, although with these there's a significantly higher chance i will give them a go at some point.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    My favourite modern shmup is Zero Ranger (only on steam I think) because it leans into the abrupt narrative stylings present in the genre to create what I can really only say is the shmup equivalent to NieR: Automata. Criminally underplayed game.

Have only dipped my toe but it seems nice too - alternative routes if you get stuck.

Darius Gaiden is probably the easiest game to "beat" - ie get to the end with no continues. The game has an Outrun style level progression structure so you can pick a route to the end. There is an "easy" route.

You can also use auto rapid fire which makes the game extremely manageable.

There are two extra lives to be picked up which are at the same place every time and there are plenty of screen clearing bombs to pick up.

It also has a shield system - so it's not "1 hit and you are dead". And your firepower isn't set back to the start either - you get a downgrade but it isn't game ending.

Along the easy route there are maybe 2 or 3 sticky parts - but get those mastered and you are well on your way to beating the game.  

1. Get to the 2nd level without taking a hit and getting all the red power ups - if you don't manage that you are in a world of hurt.
    The powerup you get just before the level 2 boss ensures a quick despatch (this is vital in this game as the longer the last the nastier their attacks become)

2. The level 4 boss is a game ender - Neo Light Illusion. Bomb the hell out of him and get past him - and while the bomb animation lasts you are invincible to point blank him during that  - you shots deal out more damage the closer you are.

3. Level 6 is a tricky one and it has a 1up - get through that without a net life loss and you are well set for beating the game.

It looks glorious too and it has a marvellous Zuntata (Taito in-house boys and girls) soundtrack.

Easy to access too. Has been MAMEable for years and it's now been ported to Switch and PS4 by port Gods M2.

That would be my recommendation.

Here is me beating it. Lost 1 life in this run.

It's horizontal so some might not like that but I feel horis are more accessible to beginners.

Re a vertical game , Futari is a strong shout but it isn't as easy to access. It runs in MAME - but I don't think it's anywhere close to being properly playable.  The 360 got a region free port and it isn't that expensive but that's a bit of a barrier if just testing the water.

There's Mushihimesama (Futari's predecessor) and its Novice modes - that would be a good starting place too. Available on Steam and Switch. (PS4 maybe ? not sure).
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I'd add that Futari seems fine in Mame. But then you are playing the arcade version so no easy modes like you'd get in other ports. Having said that, an hour or two of practice and it should be fine - and this is coming from somone who struggles with working out the trajectory of bullets (aka I have about the tenth of Davy's ability).
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Glad to hear Futari feels fine - I only booted it up just to see it working but it looked a bit jerky to me. That could just be my aging PC though it runs Mushi in steam fine.

Anyhoo  - even without novice modes, MAME lets you save state for practicing sections so it makes it more accessible.

Futari does that Cave thing where you will progress OK with normal practice until the 2nd half of level 3 when it will kick your arse. That's when the game really kicks in.

The novice mode in Futari is made a bit too easy because it also has autobomb. If that had been a selectable option it would have been far better. I cleared it first go and that was back when I first started playing shmups.

Of course you can then play Novice Maniac which will be a bit more of a challenge - or even Novice Ultra. The 360 port is excellent and it has the Black Label DLC too - not sure if that is MAMEable yet. Black Label feels a bit easier and it's more a score attack game.

One other thing I will say about shmups if you are serious....well 2 things...

You need to sit close to the screen to navigate those bullet clouds.

You don't need an arcade stick - a good dpad is fine - but a decent stick will be better.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Here's me beating Mushihimesama. I am playing with the M-shot which is supposedly the worst option to use! It's supposed to be easier with the S-shot. I'm using that to try and beat Maniac mode at the minute.

Again - this probably looks mental to the uninitiated - and in a few places it is - I make a real balls up in the level 5 mid boss and save the run through some heroics in the second half of the level.  But this is achievable with focussed practice for most gamers - I am far from talented and I'm in my late 50s remember. The practice mode lets you practice individual levels and bosses which makes it all do-able with some investment of time.

That life loss right the end? Cost me 10m points that. You get 10m for each life left at the end.  :(

• Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Satisfactory. Really dig YouTube videos of it, but I know it’d probably drive me insane.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    That Mushi clear took a lot out of me. I was able to do each section - just couldn't put it together in one run.  It took me far longer to achieve than it should have.
  • Dariusburst ex is the ps4/5 version.
    It's stupidly good and has stupid good amounts of content and modes.

Resogun would be my go to for anyone wanting to learn, the easy modes are real easy and it steps up nicely fro. There.
    And it's still brilliant.
  • Resogun and Nex Machina are great examples of the way these genres can evolve without just chucking more stuff at you at a faster rate. I'd play more shmups that had a similar philosophy to those.
  • I’ve always wanted to get into Eve Online but that seems like a bit of a time sink.
  • Drainius is a pretty good horizontal shooter and quite lenient (Switch and PC).
    Sol Cresta is a pretty easy vertical shooter - but it's way overpriced and looks f'ing awful (Switch, PS4 and PC).

Gradius II/Vulcan Venture is awesome. Can be got separately on PS4/Switch or in Konami Arcade Classics (all).
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I'd like to see a AAA shmup with a campaign mode - loads of levels and set pieces with save points. Would be backed up with a hardcore survival and score attack mode for the rest of us.
  • Was thinking Sine Mora after davys post too o/
  • The Sky Force games are good but the grind can fuck off.
  • Sine Mora drops to 99p now and then on Switch.
  • @drew, good shout on city skylines
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I am utterly obsessed with Trackmania on YouTube and Twitch. Know all the terminology, techniques, all of it.

Played it for half an hour and not for me. But I cannot stop watching the top players like Wirtual, Scrapie, Spammie etc. Find that kind of top level play highly intriguing.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Please don't encourage moot/drew to share their vids it's still too soon
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Turbo is shite its all about the soon to be console, currently PC only game.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    That'll learn you
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Sorry Drew I will strive to be better

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!