Games you'll probably never play but find interesting...
‹ Previous123
  • Anything you find intriguing, but only at arm's length. 

I doubt I'll ever bother playing Hunt: Showdown (I think Halo 2 was the last online mp game I played regularly), but whenever I read about it the whole thing sounds superb.  Absolutely not for me in practice, but I could easily see this eating into the entirety of someone's free time. 

• I believe Tempy was well into Hunt: Showdown, iirc.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Anything you find intriguing, but only at arm's length. 

I doubt I'll ever bother playing Hunt: Showdown (I think Halo 2 was the last online mp game I played regularly), but whenever I read about it the whole thing sounds superb.  Absolutely not for me in practice, but I could easily see this eating into the entirety of someone's free time. 

As soon as I read the title I thought yeah Hunt Showdown, funny thats the game you mention. I bought it on the ps4 ages ago for £20 after watching a 30 minute piece on it by skill up. Just recently I was asked to play it by some people on an over 30s discord group so I may yet try it. Its supposed to have some of the best use of sound design in video games and that's what realy grabbed my interest.
  • Here's the video

And here's the over 30's discord if anyone was interested.

https://discord.gg/30sgamerfriends
  • There's a time extend of sorts in this month's PC Gamer and the top tier sound design was mentioned. Had me Googling whether it can be played solo. It can't, not properly anyway.
  • I think it's £13.99 on PS4 at the mo, with a 60fps PS5 patch.
  • I think i watched that same vid cupatay. Same feelings about the game, interesting premise but pretty sure i wouldn't enjoy it (mainly through being too shit to be competitive and not patient/determined enough to git gud).

Other games that generally fall into this category are stuff like rimworld and those kind of survival/emerging narrative type things. The stories of people that played the game always sounds amazing, but the reality of the grind and the system management of playing these games invariably bores me so i often don't even bother trying them.
    even Valheim which I've enjoyed I kind of hit a limit on sooner rather than later. Hearing about Sparky and Franny's adventures is cool but i don't really have a lot of motivation to go through it myself (I might make an exception for Valheim as i did enjoy it but it's a good recent example).
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • I've got about 15 or so hours play time and I've never even got a kill. Make of that what you will...
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Haiku: The Robot us a great metroidvania no one here has played.
  • I love reading Davys technical analysis of scroller shooters. Want to dip my toes in because of his passion but I know I’ll be bobbins. I do wonder what’s the best place for me to start though.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Haiku: The Robot us a great metroidvania no one here has played.

It's on the watch list.
  • I love reading Davys technical analysis of scroller shooters. Want to dip my toes in because of his passion but I know I’ll be bobbins. I do wonder what’s the best place for me to start though.

Honestly? Ikaruga. May as well start at the bible.
  • Hunt: Showdown is a great game. Absolutely fantastic. I play it with Nexx every so often and it's always a treat. 
    I've got about 15 or so hours play time and I've never even got a kill. Make of that what you will...
    Jesus.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    @Drew give Chained Echoes a go for me, it's an old school JRPG without all the bollocks

Honestly? Ikaruga. May as well start at the bible.

It's quite different to the vast majority of what Davy plays tho, it's as much puzzle shooter. I'd say unc wants a forgiving / easy scale bullet hell of he vibes with most of what Davy posts about. I'd suggest Deathsmiles.
  • And I love ikaruga.
  • It's a puzzle shooter that pretends to be a bullet hell, or something.
  • @Drew give Chained Echoes a go for me, it's an old school JRPG without all the bollocks
    Upvote
  • Sophstar. Cheap, surprised a lot of shmupheads and has plenty of difficulty options. It's not a beauty but it's a quality game.
  • Deathsmiles is a good shout. Mushi Futari is the best, has some easy modes too.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Fairs, Nick. Just maybe, if you can handle it on its easiest setting, it'll put you in good stead elsewhere, is all.

Failing that I shout 1945 II, or Guwange if you wanna go mental.
  • All noted. Best place to play these? Just any console or something specific?
  • I believe Tempy was well into Hunt: Showdown, iirc.

It is the GOAT. Best multiplayer shooter ever. I was bad at it, used to play with a guy who could recognise every gun in the game by shot and reload audio. 

Warhammer is also great. Everyone get into Warhammer so I get a better bonus. Thanks.

There are countless TTRPGs that I'll probably never play, but find fascinating whenever I read about them. Lancer, Blood on the Clock Tower, Spire - just have to accept I'm mid 30s and mates are in short supply.
  • All noted. Best place to play these? Just any console or something specific?

Ehhhh, I'd put the Switch as the console with the most readily available and accessible library of shmups, but some will also be on the others.
  • Yeah, it's difficult because they're primarily made for a highly skilled niche audience that expects challenge. Any entry level design is always going to be a secondary addition, rather than the core of the game. I'm not sure there's any way out of that.

Years ago, shoot 'em ups would have been one of my favourite genres, especially the horizontally scrolling variety, but I pay no attention to them now. I did give Ikaruga a good go when it first came out on Gamecube, and I can certainly appreciate its brilliance. But the writing was on the wall even then that the genre wasn't for me anymore.
  • I really want to play an r-type tbh.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Modern shmups look intimidating but most of them arent as hard as they look.

Really. They are no walkover but they are quite doable.

Most have ways of playing that make them easier as well as harder. They are multi layered. Playing for survival and playing for score are built into the better ones.

Deathsmiles is a great shout, as is Futari. There are others. Darius Gaiden is a great starting point too.

I'll have a think and post.

In the meantime you can read this. It explains why they are not as hard as they look. I wrote it several years ago but it explains the underlying rules that make them doable and it is still relevant.

http://www.cubed3.com/news/26558/1/insight-a-modern-2d-shooting-game-primer.html
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I really want to play an r-type tbh.
    R-Type Dimensions is 1 & 2 with accessibility options for scrubs and noobs. I ran through them both with infinite lives but there’s a few different options.
‹ Previous123

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!